The Q train is awesome!!!!!

Maserati7200

Broadway Express, Brighton Local. Beautiful. The R160's do a great job with performance on the (Q). Between Kings Highway and Avenue M, Avenue M and Avenue J, Neck Road and Sheepshead Bay, Avenue H and Newkirk I've seen the R160's hit 41-43 MPH (the speedometer is visible though the crack of the cab door on R160B's) and this is a local run mind you. Today when I was railfanning the (Q), the T/O took the R160 up to 42 MPH between H and Newkirk. The station is getting closer and closer, still accelerating. ~70 feet into Newkirk we're still going 42 and I honestly think we'll over shoot. Then, i hear that wonderful sound of the Siemens sets braking full service. and we stop right at the 10 marker. That was so exciting!!! Then between Prospect and 7th we hit 52 MPH!! I know right! That T/O was great! And he stopped the train perfectly! Unfortunately on Broadway there was an (N) closely ahead of us so we weren't going too fast. On the way back, between 57th and 42nd, we hit 42 MPH! Between 34th and 14th 47MPH, 14th and Canal 44 MPH!! Not only do I love it for the speed, but the beauty of the BMT Broadway stations and the Brighton scenery is great! Thats why I think the (Q) is awesome and possibly the best line in the system.

I'm sure BrightonLocal (Zach) will agree! lol

Broadway Express, Brighton Local. Beautiful. The R160's do a great job with performance on the (Q). Between Kings Highway and Avenue M, Avenue M and Avenue J, Neck Road and Sheepshead Bay, Avenue H and Newkirk I've seen the R160's hit 41-43 MPH (the speedometer is visible though the crack of the cab door on R160B's) and this is a local run mind you. Today when I was railfanning the (Q), the T/O took the R160 up to 42 MPH between H and Newkirk. The station is getting closer and closer, still accelerating. ~70 feet into Newkirk we're still going 42 and I honestly think we'll over shoot. Then, i hear that wonderful sound of the Siemens sets braking full service. and we stop right at the 10 marker. That was so exciting!!! Then between Prospect and 7th we hit 52 MPH!! I know right! That T/O was great! And he stopped the train perfectly! Unfortunately on Broadway there was an (N) closely ahead of us so we weren't going too fast. On the way back, between 57th and 42nd, we hit 42 MPH! Between 34th and 14th 47MPH, 14th and Canal 44 MPH!! Not only do I love it for the speed, but the beauty of the BMT Broadway stations and the Brighton scenery is great! Thats why I think the (Q) is awesome and possibly the best line in the system.

I'm sure BrightonLocal (Zach) will agree! lol

I agree!!!!!!!!!

You should ride it between Kings Hwy. bet. Sheepshead Bay, hit 56 this morning.

I ride the (Q) line everyday and I agree, its an awsome line. However I pefer the R68/A's over the tech trains though. I like riding an SMEE on the (:)/(Q) lines between PP and 7th ave mantthan bound. Its very fun to ride that part of the route since the tracks are nice and bumpy in that area. The only bad thing about the (Q) line is that horrable hell ride from canal st to parkside ave brooklyn bound, its painfully slow IMO. Other than that the (Q) is a very good and relible line.

I haven't even been on an (N) R160 that's hit over 55 MPH in the 60th St Tunnel! The Brighton line is definitely the perfect place for the R160s to flex their muscles (besides the long run of the Sea Beach EXP tracks).

Like another poster said, you have a fearless T/O. I get a fearless T/Os on the (3) sometimes, one that isn't afraid of the timers that clear at fast speeds that everyone approaches at slow speeds. It's good to have once in a while.

I haven't even been on an (N) R160 that's hit over 55 MPH in the 60th St Tunnel! The Brighton line is definitely the perfect place for the R160s to flex their muscles (besides the long run of the Sea Beach EXP tracks).

Like another poster said, you have a fearless T/O. I get a fearless T/O on the (3) sometimes, one that isn't afraid of the timers that clear at fast speeds that everyone approaches at slow speeds. It's good to have once in a while.

Your right.

Once I was talking to a T/O, two years ago under 60th St Tunnel, it was a R42/R40M went to 62.

Like another poster said, you have a fearless T/O. I get a fearless T/Os on the (3) sometimes, one that isn't afraid of the timers that clear at fast speeds that everyone approaches at slow speeds. It's good to have once in a while.

I hear you man. The SB Exp run is great on the (2)/(3) between 72nd and 42nd Street when you have a fast T/O. I remember I had a T/O on the (3) who didn't slow down until we were well past 50th Street. It felt like that R62 was going to derail! :cool:

Most NYCT subway trains have a balancing speed of around 45 MPH or so (now), so without a down grade to assist the train in speeding up they won't go much faster than that. Low 50's is typically tops. Heck, Fastest speed restriction in the system is only 50 MPH (60th st tunnel)

Even in the Rockaways an R44 nowadays typically won't top 50...44-47 is where it's at...

So all those under the age of 21 telling you they were on a train doing 65...are lying. Before the speed modifications it may have been possible on some of the current equipment, but I wasn't around for that.

The LoV's have a balancing speed of 60 MPH. Imagine what they could do with a downhill...

Even in the Rockaways an R44 nowadays typically won't top 50...44-47 is where it's at...

So all those under the age of 21 telling you they were on a train doing 65...are lying. Before the speed modifications it may have been possible on some of the current equipment, but I wasn't around for that.

Remember that one in the Rockaways that "was doin 80"? B)

The Q is a consistent subway line. However, it's not quite frequent enough to be considered one of the elite subway lines. Its capacity is constrained by the B and N.

Is the the (6) is the most elite line? Also, pretty much all BMT lines are subject to constrains since they all have to go through DeKalb. 36th Street also gets congested at times. And in the Eastern Division, everything eventually gets to the same two tracks, with a grade crossing at Myrtle–Broadway. This is with exception of the (L), of course, which doesn't merge with anything, but CBTC (and trains that lack capability) could arguably be considered a constraint. So with respect to the BMT, the (Q) is probably one of the premier lines.

The Brighton Local (Q), the main line of Brighton has a consistency of providing good service, although frequency can be an issue due to the (Q) sharing tracks with (B) in Brooklyn between DeKalb Avenue and Prospect Park, (express track from Kings Highway-Brighton Beach Southbound due to station work)and (N) in Manhattan, via Broadway Express during Weekdays.

The Brighton Local (Q), the main line of Brighton has a consistency of providing good service, although frequency can be an issue due to the (Q) sharing tracks with (B) in Brooklyn between DeKalb Avenue and Prospect Park, (express track from Kings Highway-Brighton Beach Southbound due to station work)and (N) in Manhattan, via Broadway Express during Weekdays.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the (Q) runs 18 trains whereas the (N) runs 25 trains.

Archived