A second hiring freeze thread

tonylo128

I joined this forum to find information on the hiring process for MTA bus operator. My son was called late sumer for the physc evaluation and then the drug test. After that we found out there is a hiring freeze and he was not called in for the physical. Will the freeze end at some time soon and will they recall those that are in the middle of the process first?

Greetings and welcome. You've come to the right place. There are a few brilliant minds who hopefully be able to point you in the right direction. In the mean time please take the time to enjoy what the Forum has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

They suppose to, but that doesn't mean they might forget, and start with those who haven't even started the process yet. He will have to take another drug test, and he should keep calling them at least every 2 weeks, to keep updated on what is going on, and to keep in their minds, that there are others who are in the middle of the hiring process........

as far as the TWU100 depots the hiring freeze will remain in effect until a contract. They are trying to find out who will be laid off or reassigned once service cuts and consolidation that is expected once a contract goes into effect. Currently they just transferred 14 new hires (started last year) to other depots, to fill openings w/o hiring. That deal was arranged by the union and management outside the current expired contract.

(MTA)Bus has no obligation to call anyone who was called and subjected to the freeze, (MTA)Bus does what it wants. Still follow up,but not so often as they people in HR that do the hiring get annoyed and spiteful. They hire at their own will and only answer to the (MTA) if someone is hired & don't meet the minimum quailifications. Personally the TA/OA is the way to go. (MTA)Bus is a bunch of problems, I've been there 4 years and made a big mistake. Also keep in mind if your son is hired and then the new budget w/ service cuts & layoffs go into effect, the first (MTA) agency to lay off will be (MTA)Bus b/c we are not civil service and not protected by law. If you want, you can look at Liberty Lines. The pay is just as good the training is better and you don't have the (MTA) BS and ballbreaking(NYCT)

Yes by firing you. Who gets laid off first civil service or non? I was told by the union that they will layoff as many (MTA)Bus employees as they need before any TA/OA B/O's. The turn over is higher by firing opposed to retiring, b/c we have no current contract so every time your in discipline for anything including being on disb. or comp. they seek termination. They go to 2nd level and terminate you before you actually go to arbiration. So while waiting up to 3mos. for an arbitration date your outta a job and pay. If you win arbitration its w/o back pay and probation period of up to 6mos. where they fire you within 3 for something like one absence. (MTA)Bus just world of trouble.

Now that the stimulus package is being signed I think the freeze might actually come to an end. I was told specifically on the phone by HR one time we'd love to hire people but we don't have the money to do so.

Transit has been hiring this whole time. There is no hiring freeze in the TA. There are new C/R's and T/O's right now.

Yes, but certain lists have been frozen with no new hires...to be specific 5025 B/O has been frozen since June 2008.

That means that they don't need B/O's right now. B/O's are essential employees like C/R's and T/O's so they can't be included in a hiring freeze if they are short.

Transit has been hiring this whole time. There is no hiring freeze in the TA. There are new C/R's and T/O's right now.

Do the new titles that are available go to an in-house pool for a certain amount of time before being posted to the general public?

Probably so I'm guessing.

Archived