Q?s about HS/College in NY

DarrylR.14

GPA, credits, Senior Project(which will not come for me in about 4 yrs) Requirements to get into a California University... I HATE it! Even though I'm a freshman, I can't handle all this work in CA

. So my Q?s to you that is in HS or out of HS:

How is high school life in NYC? Are the classes easy? REALLY long periods? A lot of students? A lot HW?

I want to know!(maybe I can go back to NYC, if it's ever going to happen)

And plus I need advice: Do any of you know any colleges/universities I can go where they have a major in civil engineering?(idk did I say that right). I want to have a list of Col/Uni before Senior yr(yet maybe I'll forget it)

Well that is all for now. Answer away!

How is high school life in NYC? Are the classes easy? REALLY long periods? A lot of students? A lot HW?

Well there's no "easy" in anything. If you pay attention, and don't make yourself a fool while in HS, everything turns out to be easy for you. Just study, do your homework, behave in class, and you shouldn't have no problems at all. Having a HS life keeps me busy and all. I'm on the track team at my school, and everyday I don't leave school until around 7 PM. (That's 11-12 hours at the house a day) I can have practices, and meets at any time including days off, and over vacation. On top of that, I have to manage other things at home, etc.

The classes aren't long. It all depends on what classes they are. For example, a regular class at my school is 46 mins long. The only exception to this is when I have lab for my Chemistry class on Fridays which gives the class a double period. (For me, that's 1st and 2nd)

And for any HS, you can expect a lot of students around. In just my school alone (since there's 4 schools in one building), I feel that its overcrowded with all the new freshman and everything.

GPA, credits, Senior Project(which will not come for me in about 4 yrs) Requirements to get into a California University... I HATE it! Even though I'm a freshman, I can't handle all this work in CA

And plus I need advice: Do any of you know any colleges/universities I can go where they have a major in civil engineering?(idk did I say that right). I want to have a list of Col/Uni before Senior yr(yet maybe I'll forget it)

Well high school life really depends on what courses you take and what teachers you get, not necessarily the school you go to. If you hit yourself with 3 AP courses and 2 honours, you better do the work. If you go light and take all the regular courses, you would usually have less of a workload. Some of the teachers are fairly lenient and others would give you 30 pages to read for homework.

My classes usually have more than 30 people.

At Bronx Science, we have 44 minutes to a period. Except the third period, where we get 48 minutes (to do the pledge and have announcements made). On certain days (Conference days) we have 40 minute periods and we leave at 2:40. On administrative days (aka Homeroom) we have 41 minutes per class period and a 15 minute homeroom period. We have 9 class periods everyday, however many of us get certain periods free. For example, I have first period off everyday and sometimes I get 9th off (overlaps with gym).

For Engineering you can go to Polytechnic University. My uncle is a mechanical engineer and he went to that school.

Hmm...need to list that on my pick of colleges.

Well there's no "easy" in anything. If you pay attention, and don't make yourself a fool while in HS, everything turns out to be easy for you. Just study, do your homework, behave in class, and you shouldn't have no problems at all. Having a HS life keeps me busy and all. I'm on the track team at my school, and everyday I don't leave school until around 7 PM. (That's 11-12 hours at the house a day) I can have practices, and meets at any time including days off, and over vacation. On top of that, I have to manage other things at home, etc.

The classes aren't long. It all depends on what classes they are. For example, a regular class at my school is 46 mins long. The only exception to this is when I have lab for my Chemistry class on Fridays which gives the class a double period. (For me, that's 1st and 2nd)

And for any HS, you can expect a lot of students around. In just my school alone (since there's 4 schools in one building), I feel that its overcrowded with all the new freshman and everything.

Well high school life really depends on what courses you take and what teachers you get, not necessarily the school you go to. If you hit yourself with 3 AP courses and 2 honours, you better do the work. If you go light and take all the regular courses, you would usually have less of a workload. Some of the teachers are fairly lenient and others would give you 30 pages to read for homework.

My classes usually have more than 30 people.

At Bronx Science, we have 44 minutes to a period. Except the third period, where we get 48 minutes (to do the pledge and have announcements made). On certain days (Conference days) we have 40 minute periods and we leave at 2:40. On administrative days (aka Homeroom) we have 41 minutes per class period and a 15 minute homeroom period. We have 9 class periods everyday, however many of us get certain periods free. For example, I have first period off everyday and sometimes I get 9th off (overlaps with gym).

Thank You for sharing your answers. I kind of amazed how there are 9 periods. Here in CA, it's only 6 but about an hour per class.

High school for me was a joke, granted I got through it with grades in the 80s. I went to a private Catholic hight school in Bay Ridge Brooklyn (Xaverian HS) and really it was a joke. I did the work that was assigned but looking back on it if I had done just a little more I could have had grades in the 90s. Really, it all depends on where you go. As some have said high school is hard, but mine was not but its name helped me get into college.

Right now I am in my second year of college and I am at St. Francis College in Brooklyn and its not that hard as long as you keep up with the work.

Oh man, in Science, we literally have to stop and stay for an entire minute between periods just because there's a freshmen population crisis going on.

Again, thank you for sharing your answers/comments, etc.

Oh man, in Science, we literally have to stop and stay for an entire minute between periods just because there's a freshmen population crisis going on.

Wow, is it that crowded? Makes me think twice before going back to NYC for HS.

Wow, is it that crowded? Makes me think twice before going back to NYC for HS.

Again, it all depends where you go. I go to Hunter College High School, supposedly one of the best in NYC. For me, I have tons of work and HW every day and a lot of tests to look forward to, but that's because I'm currently a 9th grader and taking courses (ex - English II) that I would normally be taking if I was in 10th grade in another school. That's just how my school is. There's 6 grades in my school, and 1,200 kids, so only about 200 per grade and 25 people per class. My periods are about 40 minutes long, and my day lasts from 8:08 to 2:46. Mind you, I have to wake up at 6:20 to go to school and don't get home until 3:30.

As for how high school life is? It can be hard (NYC has a profound educational system) but it's generally not overwhelming, especially if you know how to budget your time. Getting into a good college is even harder. They don't pick on what your grades are anymore. Anyone can get an A in school. It just depends what kind of person you are. In my school, people take their grades really seriously but in other high schools I'd assume they'd be more chill about it.

Hope I helped. Meanwhile, I have an essay to edit that's due tomorrow as well as a lab report to finish...and it's 11:18 PM...LOL ;)

Again, it all depends where you go. I go to Hunter College High School, supposedly one of the best in NYC. For me, I have tons of work and HW every day and a lot of tests to look forward to, but that's because I'm currently a 9th grader and taking courses (ex - English II) that I would normally be taking if I was in 10th grade in another school. That's just how my school is. There's 6 grades in my school, and 1,200 kids, so only about 200 per grade and 25 people per class. My periods are about 40 minutes long, and my day lasts from 8:08 to 2:46. Mind you, I have to wake up at 6:20 to go to school and don't get home until 3:30.

As for how high school life is? It can be hard (NYC has a profound educational system) but it's generally not overwhelming, especially if you know how to budget your time. Getting into a good college is even harder. They don't pick on what your grades are anymore. Anyone can get an A in school. It just depends what kind of person you are. In my school, people take their grades really seriously but in other high schools I'd assume they'd be more chill about it.

Hope I helped. Meanwhile, I have an essay to edit that's due tomorrow as well as a lab report to finish...and it's 11:18 PM...LOL B)

1,200 Students in 6 grades is not bad(unlike 2,000 students in 4 grades over here), yet if I go there, I would feel like the dumb one in class, even though I have English Honors, Geom and such... and my school starts at 7:12 but I can tell you would have a long commute back and forth.

Also, when you said that NYC having a profound ed. system, I don't blame you. California, in my opinion, has the worst ed. system ever! It all seems to easy for me ( if I can do it(no wonder my dad keeps saying NYC has better education) but this also tells me to STOP procrastinating!(even though I do it!)

Brooklyn Tech, class of 2003. I was accepted to Bronx Science. I didn't go because of the distance I'd have to travel to get to school each day (a decision I regret to this day). I was also accepted to Townsend Harris but I didn't go because I mistakenly believed that Tech was the better school. Anyway, the freshmen year was a bit rough. It got better as it progressed. I took courses in algebra and trigonometry (then called sequential II), english, spanish, biology, and basic mechanics. I wasn't quite an A student but I consistently got B's and a few A's. The sophomore year wasn't any easier. Chemistry gave me problems. I came close to flunking it, but I got tutoring. Five days a week I was in school. I went to a Saturday tutorial at NYU. My final grade in chem was an 85. I got a 93 on the Regents.

The junior year was my toughest year, both academically and socially. I became a bit self conscious since I was black and in a school where the majority of the student population was white and Asian. In addition, I went through puberty around the age of 16. I wanted a girlfriend but between being shy and having an acne problem it didn't happen (to this day I've never been in a real relationship). In the junior year the courses because ridiculously hard. Precalc gave me many nightmares. I got grades that I never got before. I had this sadistic teacher who cracked jokes and made facetious remarks about students. Because of my subpar performance in precalc I couldn't take any of the AP classes that I wanted to take. In my junior year I got an A- in Physics but bombed the Regents. At the end of the year I was depressed and a loner. I let school define who I was.

I (partially) rebounded in my senior year. I had the same teacher for basic Calculus that I had for precalc. And once again he messed up my transcript. However, all wasn't bad. I learned how to play the viola. I also took this fencing class. I picked civil engineering as a major and got to visit the office of Parsons-Brinckerhoff, a transportation engineering firm in midtown Manhattan. I also went to this press conference that discussed the Fulton Transit Hub and the rebuilding of the World Trade Center transit hub. Around the fall of 2002 it was time to take the SAT. I was scared to death of this exam. My Calculus teacher deliberately gave us an exam on the day before the SAT. The first time I took the SAT my score on the verbal was pitiful. I got help from a sibling and the Saturday tutorial course. The second time I took the SAT I did much better. When it was time to pick colleges, I didn't want to select a hyper-competitive college since I attended a hyper-competitive high school. I ultimately made the wrong choice, but that's another story. The second semester of senior year was uneventful. If I had to do it again, I would've been a graduate of Bronx Science or Townsend Harris.

Brooklyn Tech, class of 2003. I was accepted to Bronx Science. I didn't go because of the distance I'd have to travel to get to school each day (a decision I regret to this day). I was also accepted to Townsend Harris but I didn't go because I mistakenly believed that Tech was the better school. Anyway, the freshmen year was a bit rough. It got better as it progressed. I took courses in algebra and trigonometry (then called sequential II), english, spanish, biology, and basic mechanics. I wasn't quite an A student but I consistently got B's and a few A's. The sophomore year wasn't any easier. Chemistry gave me problems. I came close to flunking it, but I got tutoring. Five days a week I was in school. I went to a Saturday tutorial at NYU. My final grade in chem was an 85. I got a 93 on the Regents.

The junior year was my toughest year, both academically and socially. I became a bit self conscious since I was black and in a school where the majority of the student population was white and Asian. In addition, I went through puberty around the age of 16. I wanted a girlfriend but between being shy and having an acne problem it didn't happen (to this day I've never been in a real relationship). In the junior year the courses because ridiculously hard. Precalc gave me many nightmares. I got grades that I never got before. I had this sadistic teacher who cracked jokes and made facetious remarks about students. Because of my subpar performance in precalc I couldn't take any of the AP classes that I wanted to take. In my junior year I got an A- in Physics but bombed the Regents. At the end of the year I was depressed and a loner. I let school define who I was.

I (partially) rebounded in my senior year. I had the same teacher for basic Calculus that I had for precalc. And once again he messed up my transcript. However, all wasn't bad. I learned how to play the viola. I also took this fencing class. I picked civil engineering as a major and got to visit the office of Parsons-Brinckerhoff, a transportation engineering firm in midtown Manhattan. I also went to this press conference that discussed the Fulton Transit Hub and the rebuilding of the World Trade Center transit hub. Around the fall of 2002 it was time to take the SAT. I was scared to death of this exam. My Calculus teacher deliberately gave us an exam on the day before the SAT. The first time I took the SAT my score on the verbal was pitiful. I got help from a sibling and the Saturday tutorial course. The second time I took the SAT I did much better. When it was time to pick colleges, I didn't want to select a hyper-competitive college since I attended a hyper-competitive high school. I ultimately made the wrong choice, but that's another story. The second semester of senior year was uneventful. If I had to do it again, I would've been a graduate of Bronx Science or Townsend Harris.

Those are the two schools Im aiming for but I didn't understand the selection process of the specialized schools and I think I put York first...that or Bronx. Hopefully, Bronx because I know I did well.

Wow. At least you graduated which is what everyone want to do.

Another Q'? Anybody in a college/university, what are the requirements to get in to the col/uni you want to go (like GPA, class requirements) something like that.

Archived