2009 New York City Subways Wall Calendar

Earle Baldwin

Newkirk Images of Copiague, NY has delivered a very interesting New York City subway wall calendar for 2009. Opening to approximately 12" X 18", the calendar features a full page color photograph for each month along with color images and artwork on its outside and inside front covers, title page and rear cover. A number of eras are covered by the images presented as follows:

Front cover:

St. Louis Car Company builder's photograph of R33 9333 and two samples of NYCTA 1964 World's Fair advertising artwork

Inside front cover:

Publicity photograph of "Miss Subways" inside newly delivered R33 9306 at Times Square Station, 10/63

Title page:

The interior of R14 5837 painted orange and blue for the 1964 World's Fair

January:

Aerial view of a freshly painted blue and silver R16 leading an outbound JJ Train at Marcy Avenue Station in Williamsburgh, 1/83

February:

Work train crew replacing a signal at the Flushing Line's 90th Street Station - motive power is provided by "QX" Type 1640A, 2/20/55

March:

Interior of BMT " Standard" 2541, 4/7/68

April:

BMT "Multi-Section" cars approaching East 105th Street Station in Canarsie with the old grade crossing plainly visible (date unavailable; however, this equipment was removed from revenue service in 1961 so the image is at least that old)

May:

Third Avenue Elevated trains running through Manhattan in the 1940's

June:

"Q" Types and R30A 8397 at Broadway/Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn, 7/69

July:

R36 9748 at Corona Yard - the car is decorated for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as part of the TA's "State Car " program

August:

"Gibbs" car 3420 on the Pelham Bay Line, 8/14/55 - having been built in 1904, the 3420 was over fifty years old at the time of the photograph

September:

Street level view of "C' Types on the Fulton Street Elevated, 9/4/55

October:

Newly delivered green R22's on the Livonia Avenue Line - signage on the train pictured is Number 2/Dyre Avenue, 10/58

November:

Ground level view R-6-2 Cars operating in D train service passing Brooklyn & Queens Transit Plow 68, 11/6/56

December:

SIRT Car 329 at Arlington Station on Staten Island (undated)

The quality of images is quite good particularly given their vintage. The slick pages are robust and their contents sharply reproduced, a clear indication the 2009 New York City Subways Calendar is a high quality item. It would be a very worthwhile acquisition for any subway enthusiast. Priced at $11.95, the 2009 New York City Subways Calendar may be purchased at the Transit Museum Store in Grand Central Terminal.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Earle

• 4 months later...
Newkirk Images of Copiague, NY has delivered a very interesting New York City subway wall calendar for 2009. Opening to approximately 12" X 18", the calendar features a full page color photograph for each month along with color images and artwork on its outside and inside front covers, title page and rear cover. A number of eras are covered by the images presented as follows:

Front cover:

St. Louis Car Company builder's photograph of R33 9333 and two samples of NYCTA 1964 World's Fair advertising artwork

Inside front cover:

Publicity photograph of "Miss Subways" inside newly delivered R33 9306 at Times Square Station, 10/63

Title page:

The interior of R14 5837 painted orange and blue for the 1964 World's Fair

January:

Aerial view of a freshly painted blue and silver R16 leading an outbound JJ Train at Marcy Avenue Station in Williamsburgh, 1/83

February:

Work train crew replacing a signal at the Flushing Line's 90th Street Station - motive power is provided by "QX" Type 1640A, 2/20/55

March:

Interior of BMT " Standard" 2541, 4/7/68

April:

BMT "Multi-Section" cars approaching East 105th Street Station in Canarsie with the old grade crossing plainly visible (date unavailable; however, this equipment was removed from revenue service in 1961 so the image is at least that old)

May:

Third Avenue Elevated trains running through Manhattan in the 1940's

June:

"Q" Types and R30A 8397 at Broadway/Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn, 7/69

July:

R36 9748 at Corona Yard - the car is decorated for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as part of the TA's "State Car " program

August:

"Gibbs" car 3420 on the Pelham Bay Line, 8/14/55 - having been built in 1904, the 3420 was over fifty years old at the time of the photograph

September:

Street level view of "C' Types on the Fulton Street Elevated, 9/4/55

October:

Newly delivered green R22's on the Livonia Avenue Line - signage on the train pictured is Number 2/Dyre Avenue, 10/58

November:

Ground level view R-6-2 Cars operating in D train service passing Brooklyn & Queens Transit Plow 68, 11/6/56

December:

SIRT Car 329 at Arlington Station on Staten Island (undated)

The quality of images is quite good particularly given their vintage. The slick pages are robust and their contents sharply reproduced, a clear indication the 2009 New York City Subways Calendar is a high quality item. It would be a very worthwhile acquisition for any subway enthusiast. Priced at $11.95, the 2009 New York City Subways Calendar may be purchased at the Transit Museum Store in Grand Central Terminal.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Earle

wow..i would love to get hold of one.. i dont care that we are half way through 2009...it sounds like a really cool.. vibrant...well laid out calendar...i'm gonna have to check the web to see if it can be purchased other than Transit Museum Store. thanks much for that info..:):tup::tup::tup:

wow..i would love to get hold of one.. i dont care that we are half way through 2009...it sounds like a really cool.. vibrant...well laid out calendar...i'm gonna have to check the web to see if it can be purchased other than Transit Museum Store. thanks much for that info..:):tup::tup::tup:

Wouldn't it be better for you to buy it at the transit museum store? You'd get an employee discount.

Wouldn't it be better for you to buy it at the transit museum store? You'd get an employee discount.

good looking out... but.. i'm just not for the traveling to GRAND CENTRAL.. that's all.. if the TRANSIT MUSEUM in Brooklyn has it there. then.. it's a go.. but.. not manhattan... too much hustle and bustle... lol

good looking out... but.. i'm just not for the traveling to GRAND CENTRAL.. that's all.. if the TRANSIT MUSEUM in Brooklyn has it there. then.. it's a go.. but.. not manhattan... too much hustle and bustle... lol
I haven't been to the museum in a while but I believe last time I went, they had it.

Archived