Why does the (C) end service at 11pm?

Shortline Bus

No one ever been able to answer this question anywhere. Why does the ©end service at around 11pm? The period between 11pm-Midnight when many people coming home from the 2nd shift ie (nurses, and more)not to mention those coming home from Broadway shows or MSG events such as the Knicks/Rangers games.

As result the (A)often is SRO mainly between 59th/Columbus Circle and Euclid most nights from about 1030pm-1230am. I do not understand why the (C)

service hours was not increased till 12 Midnight last summer when the (B)(V)(W) & (M) service hours was expanded.

I am not saying the ©should be a 24/7 line(it would be great) and wont happen for a while at least with the current budget crisis. However IMO 8th Ave riders are getting the short end of the stick as all other North-South Manhattan express lines whether it's the 7th Ave/Bway West Side, 6th Ave, Bway or Lex run at least until Midnight the last train leaving Midtown stations.

Between 11pm-around 1am, it often chaos at the 8th Ave stations especially at the 34/Penn Station/MSG stop. (A)riders waiting at the express stop often feel like fools when they try to rush and catch the (A) on the (C) and (E)local platform. Ditto at stops like 59th and 42nd-PABT when confused riders hold the doors to ask if the ©is still running or if the (A)is local.

I strongly believe the ©at least between 1030pm-1215am(last trains going to either 168th or Euclid) run at least every other alternative train to Brooklyn. Some could terminate at Chambers/WTC between 11pm-Midnight. While alternative (A) could still be a Fulton Express until 1215am at least.

It should not cost the (MTA)that much money to run a damn train for just 1-hour extra on a coordior that really needs it.

Any explantion why the ©stops running by 11pm? Thanks in advance.

The (B)does not run late nights or weekends. Maybe i am the only one out sometimes at 11pm lol but i am telling you the trurth. The (A)is often SRO evenings between 11pm-1230am mainly between 59th/columbus circle and Jay St.

You got a high number of 2nd shift workers and people coming from Broadway shows/Knick and Ranger games at that hour.

All i am asking is why can't the ©run until Midnight? Plus is it 'fair' 2nd shift workers boarding in Manhattan going to the Rockaways on the (A) have to add an extra 20-30 minutes to their trip home?

After 1230am then i agree the (A)could run local along Fulton/8th Avenue.

The (B)does not run late nights or weekends. Maybe i am the only one out sometimes at 11pm lol but i am telling you the trurth. The (A)is often SRO evenings between 11pm-1230am mainly between 59th/columbus circle and Jay St.

You got a high number of 2nd shift workers and people coming from Broadway shows/Knick and Ranger games at that hour.

All i am asking is why can't the ©run until Midnight? Plus is it 'fair' 2nd shift workers boarding in Manhattan going to the Rockaways on the (A) have to add an extra 20-30 minutes to their trip home?

After 1230am then i agree the (A)could run local along Fulton/8th Avenue.

This doesn't happen everyday right?

I think it happens so that the system can slow down at night so track gangs don't have to stop working every 5 minutes. If the system did not have this slow down time we would see more GO's then we do now to try and make up for 40 years of neglect. Plus by stopping (C) service the (MTA) does not have to pay the crews and there is less ware on the trains and track. The thing is too, even at 1 or 2 AM there are still alot of people on the trainso if service was expanded to 12Am you would have people who would want it to go later.

I think it happens so that the system can slow down at night so track gangs don't have to stop working every 5 minutes. If the system did not have this slow down time we would see more GO's then we do now to try and make up for 40 years of neglect. Plus by stopping (C) service the (MTA) does not have to pay the crews and there is less ware on the trains and track. The thing is too, even at 1 or 2 AM there are still alot of people on the trainso if service was expanded to 12Am you would have people who would want it to go later.

Oh ok makes some sense now:confused:.

So why does the Lex Ave, 7th Ave and 6th Ave run later (in case of the (D) 24/7 express other than g/o's)till at least 1230 Midnight? Is the 8th Ave have the lowest ridership of the Mid Manhattan lines?

Again i really feel that the (C) should run at least until 12 Midnight? Maybe a compromise could be that on Friday and Saturday Nighths the ©runs till 1230am while from Sunday-Thursday Nights it ends at 1130pm?

The (A) I agree is packed and it is everyday like that. The last (C) train leaves 59th street ant 10:29pm while the first (A) local arrives at 10:32pm. After that to around 12:30am it gets pretty packed on the the platform especially at my home station of 34th street penn station. People still never read signs though when it comes to catching a train. Everytime I take the train late nights I yell at people that there are no train on the express platfrom. Yet, everytime it still doesnt work. Good sense would tell u why are the local platforms filled up with people and there is not a soul on the express... Hmm kinda hard to figure that one out... Not to mention the signage at the 35th street side is out of date. There is no direct connection with penn station through there as of 10years now. that is now the mta lost and found unit. People should read the signs above the track that says LATE NIGHTS USE (A) LOCAL. Or AFTER 10:29PM ALL SOUTHBOUND SERVICE IS ON THE LOCAL TRACK AND AFTER 11:18PM ALL NORTHBOUND SERVICE IS ON THE LOCAL TRACK. The (C) should run a little later just to help supplement the line after MSG events and overall traffic on the 8th ave line, 11 or 11:30 is enough. But with MTA that will never happen. The 7th ave and Lex has express service until 12 roughly. Broadway line has 24hour (Q) and the (N) becomes local after the last (R) arrives at 34th Herald Square at 11:47PM. The first (N) arrives at 11:53PM. For some reason i always think 8th ave is slighted.

The (A) I agree is packed and it is everyday like that. The last (C) train leaves 59th street ant 10:29pm while the first (A) local arrives at 10:32pm. After that to around 12:30am it gets pretty packed on the the platform especially at my home station of 34th street penn station. People still never read signs though when it comes to catching a train. Everytime I take the train late nights I yell at people that there are no train on the express platfrom. Yet, everytime it still doesnt work. Good sense would tell u why are the local platforms filled up with people and there is not a soul on the express... Hmm kinda hard to figure that one out... Not to mention the signage at the 35th street side is out of date. There is no direct connection with penn station through there as of 10years now. that is now the mta lost and found unit. People should read the signs above the track that says LATE NIGHTS USE (A) LOCAL. Or AFTER 10:29PM ALL SOUTHBOUND SERVICE IS ON THE LOCAL TRACK AND AFTER 11:18PM ALL NORTHBOUND SERVICE IS ON THE LOCAL TRACK. The (C) should run a little later just to help supplement the line after MSG events and overall traffic on the 8th ave line, 11 or 11:30 is enough. But with MTA that will never happen. The 7th ave and Lex has express service until 12 roughly. Broadway line has 24hour (Q) and the (N) becomes local after the last (R) arrives at 34th Herald Square at 11:47PM. The first (N) arrives at 11:53PM. For some reason i always think 8th ave is slighted.

Thank You and also to Forest Glen. I guess i am not the only one who sees jam packed (A)between 1045pm-1am most evenings.

FYI. The (4)barring g/o's run as Lex Express till about 115-130am.

If the TA could they would love for the (A)to be a super local from Euclid-168th if they could and can the (C) on weekends. In their 1993-94 budgets they did propose that. The agency knows many of the communities along the (A) are now gentrified so they wont be touching that issue.

Still how expensive at a few thousand a year (which is a drop in the MTA budget)to run the ©to Midnight at least Monday-Saturday Evenings?

Archived