Look what was on today; already!

Eric B

Can't see it.

EDIT: Now I see it. What is it? CBTC-type thingy?

Um, sorry if this is a dumb question, what is it?

It's a train tracker for the public. It shows you how far the train is from the station you are at.

That's beautiful... as long as it is accurate. I know where I am in Bordeaux you'll have 7 minutes... and then in 3 minutes it goes down to 6 minutes and then you skip two minutes and it ends up being a 9 minute wait or something. But, by showing where the train is that's nice.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20)

Hmm wonder how long until that gets a BSOD =P

you have no faith in these things,lol. as if microsoft made these?

They're supposed to use Linux, but apparently most of the MTA appears to be computer incompetent anyway. Linux provides them with a cheap platform to develop on, in addition to being secure, unlike Windows. The top government agencies use Linux why doesn't the MTA use it?

As for the train tracker itself, What do the red trains stand for? I couldn't quite see it ;) I'm guessing it means stopped train or something

To those of you who say Windows is insecure...maybe you're an idiot and don't know how to properly configure a system?

Amen my brother! Amen!! I run windows without any AVG and only my router firewall and my motherboard firewall, why? because I know what I'm doing. I keep my ports closed unless I need to use them.

Today, from a distance, it looked like it was wrapped back up. Probably still in testping phase, though it seemed accurate, as the Manhattan bound train was coming in then. It's supposed to be real-time.

As for the train tracker itself, What do the red trains stand for? I couldn't quite see it ;) I'm guessing it means stopped train or something

Green-Revenue service train running normally

Red-Revenue service train being held

Yellow-Work train/non-revenue service train.

The display should refresh every 15 seconds.

I love how it tracks work trains.

They're supposed to use Linux, but apparently most of the MTA appears to be computer incompetent anyway. Linux provides them with a cheap platform to develop on, in addition to being secure, unlike Windows. The top government agencies use Linux why doesn't the MTA use it?

As for the train tracker itself, What do the red trains stand for? I couldn't quite see it B) I'm guessing it means stopped train or something

Probably out of service. See; they also have another one you can barely make out: 'work train'.

Green-Revenue service train running normally

Red-Revenue service train being held

Yellow-Work train/non-revenue service train.

The display should refresh every 15 seconds.

I love how it tracks work trains.

Yeah they should flash the words WORK TRAIN on there constantly when it is so that passengers do not get excited when they see something moving towards their station only to look down the tunnel, see the low lights of a diesel and hear the horn blaring and then become pissed...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived