DTV Television question? and the changes planned for Feb 17, 2009

Shortline Bus

Hi guys. I admit i am not the most technoligical savy person in world but i have a question? With the change coming to America and the biggest shift in technology maybe since the start of Color Tv in mid-1960's, do i have to buy a new HDTV?

I dont have a HDTV yet but a 4-year old still working Flat Screen TV. I do have digital cable tv though. I might buy a 2nd time for my house a HDTV and place my older Flat screen as a spare when guests/family visit me.

Also why we making the change to digital tv in few weeks? Someone please explain? Thanks:confused:

If you have cable then you're fine even if you don't have an HDTV. The problem is for people who don't have cable and get their tv "over the air." The switch has nothing to do with HDTV actually, just that the way signals are broadcast is switching from analog to digital. Cable companies switched over to digital a long time ago. Hope that helps

If you have cable then you're fine even if you don't have an HDTV. The problem is for people who don't have cable and get their tv "over the air." The switch has nothing to do with HDTV actually, just that the way signals are broadcast is switching from analog to digital. Cable companies switched over to digital a long time ago. Hope that helps

Yeah it does help. Thanks for the info. There are still at least tens of thousands of homes or more in NYC who still use analog especially the poor and senior who can't afford or dont want Cable or salelite.

They should delay the change maybe until May IMO. Especially when you count the ecomony being terrible.

Spot on.

Its not about HDTV, HDTV just improves the quality of the picture and sound, with other enhancements.

You mean "DIGITAL" TVs before 2004 I belivie, is anologe, which is the older standard of TV.

You will need to by a digital converter box if you dont want to buy a TV.

If you dont want a digital converter bix, you can hook yourself up with a Cable provider and they will provide you with Digital TV. And you are not in this mess.. Although you will be paying for cable.

You can order a $40 coupon on buying Converter box for free here:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

[Limited to 2 per house hold]

You will only need the digital converter box if you receive your TV signals over the air with an Antenna and your TV doesn't have a ATSC tuner. If your TV doesn't have it but you have Cable TV, then you don't need a digital converter box. You don't need to buy a new HDTV to keep watching TV. All new TVs have ATSC tuners, so you don't need to worry about it.

From Mark: "Its not about HDTV, HDTV just improves the quality of the picture and sound, with other enhancements.

You mean "DIGITAL" TVs before 2004 I belivie, is anologe, which is the older standard of TV.

You will need to by a digital converter box if you dont want to buy a TV.

If you dont want a digital converter bix, you can hook yourself up with a Cable provider and they will provide you with Digital TV. And you are not in this mess.. Although you will be paying for cable.

You can order a $40 coupon on buying Converter box for free here.

Thanks Mark and Julio. I live in area in Hudson Valley where having either Digital cable or Salelite is a must since NYC stations are 40-60 miles away and Albany stations about 50 miles.

Still i may wait till summer as i may try to move to a 2-bedroom apartment and then buy a HDTV for my living room and put my current Flat Screen in the bedroom. Again Gracias.

FYI. Yuki you do not get to an a new conventer by Febuary since you dont have cable.

This conversion thing is completely unnecessary and a waste of time.

True but we need to upgrade our old technology.. Is like if the R32s were still in service and never replaced by an NTT, it can fall apart due to lack of replacement.

Same goes for other Tech..

• 2 weeks later...
The government spent millions on advertising the digital switchover for years and now they are going to spend millions more advertising the new date.

It's obvious to those "in the know" that the country's not prepared for the switch, but you think that they should go along with the original date and let the chips land where they may?

It's obvious to those "in the know" that the country's not prepared for the switch, but you think that they should go along with the original date and let the chips land where they may?

Those in the "know" are oblivious to technology. The system is ready to go forward. Why should the people are ready have to wait for the idiots that after 2-3 years of being bombarded with the DTV switch haven't done so yet.

Those in the "know" are oblivious to technology. The system is ready to go forward. Why should the people are ready have to wait for the idiots that after 2-3 years of being bombarded with the DTV switch haven't done so yet.

To call people who haven't prepared for the DTV switch "idiots" is pretty harsh. Did you ever think that some people can't afford cable or have had the correct information in order to get the conversion boxes? Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have disposible income to buy a new TV or afford a cable/satelitte connection.

To call people who haven't prepared for the DTV switch "idiots" is pretty harsh. Did you ever think that some people can't afford cable or have had the correct information in order to get the conversion boxes? Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have disposible income to buy a new TV or afford a cable/satelitte connection.

In normal times I would agree with Julio. However as Race points out with this ecomonic crisis, this is enough of a major reason for a 1-time extension till June. There are alot of people hurting financially right now and tens of thousands not even working right now. Those are valid reasons IMO and I agree with Obama and others in this extension.

You don't NEED a new TV for DTV. All you need is a converter box which have been advertised like crazy on TV along with the federal program of providing coupons so that consumers with low income can get them for free.

Archived