Status of Avenue U and Neck Road (Brighton Line)

MattTrain

Since December of 2008, the (Q) trains going to Coney Island have been pushed to the Express tracks south of Kings Highway. The Coney Island bound platforms of Avenue U and Neck Road (Q) stops have improvements going on and already the walls have been taken down on those platforms. I think the (Q) tracks are going to be replaced too because of that. Does anyone have any more info about this construction?

Since December of 2008, the (Q) trains going to Coney Island have been pushed to the Express tracks south of Kings Highway. The Coney Island bound platforms of Avenue U and Neck Road (Q) stops have improvements going on and already the walls have been taken down on those platforms. I think the (Q) tracks are going to be replaced too because of that. Does anyone have any more info about this construction?

The trakcs are not being replaced on the CI side after it was already replaced during the 2006 Shuttle Bus Disaster. The tracks on the Manhattan side might replaced, I doubt it. The project costs 28.9 million dollars for both sides of the Avenue U station. That's sad!

The trakcs are not being replaced on the CI side after it was already replaced during the 2006 Shuttle Bus Disaster. The tracks on the Manhattan side might replaced, I doubt it. The project costs 28.9 million dollars for both sides of the Avenue U station. That's sad!

You got that right. The Coney Island Bound Local Tracks are are essentially new; hence, the concrete ties. Like Ulmer Park Stated, they were replaced back in 2006, with (Q) Trains turning at Kings Highway. Not too shift Off/Topic here, but the other disaster/yet cool for us, was when the Prospect Park Interlocking was being replaced for a few weekends, which extended (N) Trains from Stillwell Av to Kings Highway Via Brighton Local. But back to Neck Rd/Avenue U, I hope to see some pictures soon! I would love to see the reconstruction project go through its phases while Im away at school. Ive kept the site informed with information and pictures of the Ocean Parkway Reconstruction project, so Im counting on some members to shoot some photos of the construction. Im going to take a wild guess, and say the Manhattan Bound Platforms of Neck Rd and Avenue U are up next after the Coney Island Bound Side re-opens come December or January 2010. However, because the Brighton Line station reconstruction project includes 7 stations, we can see another few or one station close, and/or swap sides..

Zach

You got that right. The Coney Island Bound Local Tracks are are essentially new; hence, the concrete ties. Like Ulmer Park Stated, they were replaced back in 2006, with (Q) Trains turning at Kings Highway. Not too shift Off/Topic here, but the other disaster/yet cool for us, was when the Prospect Park Interlocking was being replaced for a few weekends, which extended (N) Trains from Stillwell Av to Kings Highway Via Brighton Local. But back to Neck Rd/Avenue U, I hope to see some pictures soon! I would love to see the reconstruction project go through its phases while Im away at school. Ive kept the site informed with information and pictures of the Ocean Parkway Reconstruction project, so Im counting on some members to shoot some photos of the construction. Im going to take a wild guess, and say the Manhattan Bound Platforms of Neck Rd and Avenue U are up next after the Coney Island Bound Side re-opens come December or January 2010. However, because the Brighton Line station reconstruction project includes 7 stations, we can see another few or one station close, and/or swap sides..

Zach

As you may know the CI bound rehabilitation is gonna be finish by this Fall. The Manhattan-boudn side is next. My guess would be that they might start the CI bound bet. Newkirk and Kings Hwy this fall.

BTW, don't worry, I'll take some pics. I was on my way to school bypassing the station, and the ceiling was gone at Avenue U. The fences are all gone and the original concrete (used back in the 60s) partially taken down. The process at Neck Rd. is very, very slow.

Zach

I got a vid of the (Q) train passing Neck Road and Avenue U....vid will be posted up lata on 2night!

Avenue H, Avenue J, and Avenue M might get a face lift, the way Avenue U and Neck Road stations are receiving now on the (;)(Q) line. If that's the case, then switches are needed around Newkirk Avenue so that the (Q) isn't forced to bypass Parkside Avenue, Beverley Road and Cortelyou Road. I wonder if those stations are going to be reconstructed too.

Avenue H, Avenue J, and Avenue M might get a face lift, the way Avenue U and Neck Road stations are receiving now on the (B)(Q) line. If that's the case, then switches are needed around Newkirk Avenue so that the (Q) isn't forced to bypass Parkside Avenue, Beverley Road and Cortelyou Road. I wonder if those stations are going to be reconstructed too.

If you go to Avenue M, the Manhattan-side from outside the station; the north side of the station is leaning down, and you can see the frame.

If you go to Avenue M, the Manhattan-side from outside the station; the north side of the station is leaning down, and you can see the frame.

Avenue M is leaning? Wow, didn't know that, never got on that station, but Avenue J and Avenue H I did. The Av H platforms at the north end are too narrow.

• 11 months later...

What "Shuttle bus disaster" is this you are speaking of? Please inform me.

Not to make a new thread, Av U and Neck Road are reopening (CI-bound) on Monday, January 18, 2010.

Thanks for the heads up. I want to get a video of an R32 (:P train at either station.

And when the platforms are rebuilt they will serve their duty. Would you rather part of the platform breaks and you fell onto the tracks? It's a few months of inconvenience. Once it is done then you won't have to worry about the platforms again for a long while.

Plus parts of the platforms were really narrow especially at the ends. They need to be widened.

Few month? It took entire year and then some for Coney Island bound platform to be BARELY done (enough for us to use). I cant take it anymore. Its frustarting having to go all the way to Sheepshead Bay and then get there just in time for the Manhattan train to shut door right in your face and leave. Its tedious, incredibily. I am not kidding you when I say when I am waiting for the Q to Sheepshead to transfer for Manhattan, at least 4 Manhattan bound trains pass me by before one Coney Island bound train shows up. And I am not making this up. MTA needs to work much more efficiently. At least put in a temporary platform like they do at Avenue J station.

It's not as bad as you think. Going to Sheepshead Bay, it's at least the next stop away from Neck Road or two stops away from Avenue U. I don't see this as a big deal, trust me it'll be better in the long run, as other people have stated.

Archived