To all current T/Os

Fort Hamilton

lol, but so true, especially during the night shift,

operating an R32-R42 in the VERY dark corner cab and in the tunnel...

Operating and following the rules is very easy if you listen and do your job. Staying awake is what they tell you is the hardest part of this job, and it is true. That is why unlike others, I don't have a problem with the (7) line. Mostly above ground. I do leave my cab window half way open at all times. That is how I make it by. Need that fresh, or steel dusty air. Leaving the window close will not be a good idea for me to do, on any shift........

Operating and following the rules is very easy if you listen and do your job. Staying awake is what they tell you is the hardest part of this job, and it is true. That is why unlike others, I don't have a problem with the (7) line. Mostly above ground. I do leave my cab window half way open at all times. That is how I make it by. Need that fresh, or steel dusty air. Leaving the window close will not be a good idea for me to do, on any shift........
When I get tired,or if I feel like BEASTIN I stand up.I never open the window unless I punch or operating outside!Yur a brave man...I try to keep all that noise and steeldust to a minimal.DOB,don't ever let me catch you with those big @zz earmuffs they give you in schoolcar....:)

Hmm..I think at least for the first couple months of the job it will be difficult for me to fall asleep. I'll be too excited doing what I'm doing. I'll try doin what i normally do when I get the urge to fall asleep while driving a car play the music loud enough from my iphone that I can hear it without having to have the ear plugs on...
I wouldn't do that if I were you.

When I get tired,or if I feel like BEASTIN I stand up.I never open the window unless I punch or operating outside!Yur a brave man...I try to keep all that noise and steeldust to a minimal.DOB,don't ever let me catch you with those big @zz earmuffs they give you in schoolcar....:)

I do wear them, except they cracked around the adjustment part. I see others with some orange/red colored smaller ones now. I want that. I might just go a buy me my own though.

As for standing, I try, same results. Doesn't work for me.........

Do passengers lean against your door often? I am sure you have had people trying to open your door(perhaps thinking that it is a bathroom,lol). The first car is one the most popular to ride in so I figure you have a crowd standing outside your door most of the time.(but not to wait to get your autograph,lol).

So is there any way for the T/O's to know what is going on in the first car without opening the door?(hidden camera)

I do wear them, except they cracked around the adjustment part. I see others with some orange/red colored smaller ones now. I want that. I might just go a buy me my own though.

As for standing, I try, same results. Doesn't work for me.........

lol...Yeh they're really cheap!(TA prolly got a good bulk deal) I've seen guys will smaller ones that are not so bulky.I use the orange ear plugs that the Dispt. SUPPOSED to have on hand.I can't even get a pair of gloves from these people.B)

Do passengers lean against your door often? I am sure you have had people trying to open your door(perhaps thinking that it is a bathroom,lol). The first car is one the most popular to ride in so I figure you have a crowd standing outside your door most of the time.(but not to wait to get your autograph,lol).

So is there any way for the T/O's to know what is going on in the first car without opening the door?(hidden camera)

Look into the passenger compartment through the cab door window, to answer your last question.

To answer your first, yes they do, and one time the door gave way and almost whacked me. Luckily I didn't test the pilot valve (deadman feature). In the R142 and R142A lock the door. Some rules get broken to let supervisors in easily, but after that, they try to get in, they have to knock and I unlock the door to let them in now.......

Well the NEW trains you can see if someone is looking in the cab.I laugh because you can see them trying to look at u but as they move more to the right,they can't because it blurs!B) You can only look straight...the views from the R160 operating car sux for railfans.The R32's,38's,40's,42's people lean on the door during rush hours and many times I open the door to stretch my legs if I'm being held and it scares the H*ll outta them!People are not used to seeing T/O's!Only the 160's,44's,46's,68's you can look without opening the door...No hidden camera's yet.

lol...Yeh they're really cheap!(TA prolly got a good bulk deal) I've seen guys will smaller ones that are not so bulky.I use the orange ear plugs that the Dispt. SUPPOSED to have on hand.I can't even get a pair of gloves from these people.B)

Wow, you work there and can't even get gloves? On weekends I volunteer at a trolley museum in CT (BERA) and we have more NYCTA gloves then we know what to do with.

You should always keep the cab door locked and then invite the TSS in at the next station stop or tell them to come in and have them key themselfs in. I had 2 TSS's open my door unannouced and I immediately took a full service brake and went for the shoe paddle without thinking. They Identifed themselfs real quick. One did get hurt but didn't say anything and didn't care I was ready to go downtown and write a statement.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; eSobiSubscriber 2.0.4.16; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Look into the passenger compartment through the cab door window, to answer your last question.

To answer your first, yes they do, and one time the door gave way and almost whacked me. Luckily I didn't test the pilot valve (deadman feature). In the R142 and R142A lock the door. Some rules get broken to let supervisors in easily, but after that, they try to get in, they have to knock and I unlock the door to let them in now.......

A girl and I were trying to look out the front window of one of those 142 trains not too long ago. The T/O just opened the door to let her come inside. I was so jealous >_<. You can't let civilian passengers ride in the front like that even if you know them can you?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

You should always keep the cab door locked and then invite the TSS in at the next station stop or tell them to come in and have them key themselfs in. I had 2 TSS's open my door unannouced and I immediately took a full service brake and went for the shoe paddle without thinking. They Identifed themselfs real quick. One did get hurt but didn't say anything and didn't care I was ready to go downtown and write a statement.

Damn, Dave is the man! Cracking skulls and taking names lol

A girl and I were trying to look out the front window of one of those 142 trains not too long ago. The T/O just opened the door to let her come inside. I was so jealous >_<. You can't let civilian passengers ride in the front like that even if you know them can you?

That's a no-no, let me quote "The Taking of Pelham 123": NO ONE IS AUTHORIZED TO BE INSIDE THE CAB EXCEPT THE LOUSY MOTORMAN.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

Nobody is alllowed into the cab but motorman have been known to do some crazy things for some "strange";).

Didn't that actually happen a few years ago?

I think the T/O let a female in cause she felt scared due to their being boogie men in that car, and allegedly the T/O became the boogie man.

Look this system is huge, and things still happen. Just when things go wrong, when you "make things happen", be prepared to get your lie straight........

I don't know. But I doubt anything happened. This was during the middle of rush hour that my experience took place. B) i just wish it was me that got to go in the cab. That would have been fun!

-is well aware of how much of a kid he sounds like right now but doesn't care-

Meanwhile just a couple more days before I can print and fill out my T/O exam application.

Archived