To all current T/Os

Fort Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved t/o uniform last week can anyone tell me when you use the dress pants and jacket? Also how can i get my hands on one of those lightweight brake handles the one i have now counts for about half the weight of all the books and equipment i have to carry everyday.

Recieved t/o uniform last week can anyone tell me when you use the dress pants and jacket? Also how can i get my hands on one of those lightweight brake handles the one i have now counts for about half the weight of all the books and equipment i have to carry everyday.

If you got your uniforms, you must wear them immediately. That is what they want now. I had a composite handle, but traded it for a heavy one with a female T/O, who was tired of the heavy one. Ask some of those who just started before you if they want to swap. most will say no, I wanted the heavy metal as I don't trust that lightweight stuff.......

They give out the composite handles now?

A few years ago they said they had thousands that they ordered but were never going to give them out because they didn't like the rate at which the nipple wore down.

If you got your uniforms, you must wear them immediately. That is what they want now. I had a composite handle, but traded it for a heavy one with a female T/O, who was tired of the heavy one. Ask some of those who just started before you if they want to swap. most will say no, I wanted the heavy metal as I don't trust that lightweight stuff.......
I do wear uniform now but they give you one pair of dress pants and one dress jacket that are made of the same material as a three piece suit like you would wear to a wedding or something. Sad to say but they are probably the nicest pants i own now.

I do wear uniform now but they give you one pair of dress pants and one dress jacket that are made of the same material as a three piece suit like you would wear to a wedding or something. Sad to say but they are probably the nicest pants i own now.

They made a rule recently that you MUST wear that dress uniform to your graduation ceremony. Besides that you most likely will never wear it again. I have never even once put mine on.

They give out the composite handles now?

A few years ago they said they had thousands that they ordered but were never going to give them out because they didn't like the rate at which the nipple wore down.

Ive seen them a few times now they do feel cheap compared to the iorn one. My instructor said that we should have gotten them when we recieved all our tools but for some reason we didnt mabey they ran out.

I'll take a stab in the dark, is it CYA (cover your ass)?

You hit the target and drew blood. The point was made to the OP about "school car" vs the real world. There are supervisors in both camps who are great in quoting rules but don't like to get their hands or reputations sullied. If I were operating a train and encountered what's called a brake pipe rupture I'm supposed to call it in to RCC and begin preparations to repair and move the train. That's school car procedure. Yet.... if that same train was a NTT what would I do? Dave, Jah, DOB2RTO, may know where I'm going with this. Alex, the RTO instructor, may know too, but as an A Division T/O in the field for 25+ years I can't lose if I do what I was instructed to do IN THE FIELD.I'll leave it to them to answer the question. What is standard procedure in the field sometimes varies from what is taught in school(car). That's when rule # 1 comes into play.

If I were operating a train and encountered what's called a brake pipe rupture I'm supposed to call it in to RCC and begin preparations to repair and move the train. That's school car procedure.

It's not like that anymore they don't even teach these new guys break downs anymore. They want them to call in everything and WAIT for a TSS of RCI to arrive.

The days of preparing the broken train to be moved BEFORE help arrived are over. Just like control used to walk you through steps immediately to trouble shoot, now almost all of the people who work in control don't know so they have to consult the book and that takes to much time.

It's not like that anymore they don't even teach these new guys break downs anymore. They want them to call in everything and WAIT for a TSS of RCI to arrive.

The days of preparing the broken train to be moved BEFORE help arrived are over. Just like control used to walk you through steps immediately to trouble shoot, now almost all of the people who work in control don't know so they have to consult the book and that takes to much time.

Thank you, Jah. That's what I was getting at. I was in a refresher course a few months ago and a TSS asked us what we would do in the NTT rupture situation I mentioned earlier. I said call RCC. He said ."and then what ?" The class got quiet and I just smiled. He kept pushing the issue and then he decided to make an example of me, the senior man in the class. I told him that in the A division we were told to "TOUCH NOTHING" and wait for help. The other TSS in the class smiled at me while he told us that we would all be written up for doing nothing to get the train moving. Then she told him that I was correct. That was the procedure we were told to follow. I just related that story to show you posters that school car instructions are what you put in your report but the road is where your knowledge comes in and pays off.

If I get to be apart of this huge team I'll wanna buddy up with a senior and get this kind of information early on. I'm quick study and very enthused about this line of work so I'd be worth the time. It's kinda like how it was when I was a home health aide. My patient would be choking but company policy says I can't administer CPR or the Heimlich maneuver even I was certified in CPR/First Aide. Waiting for the Nurse to decide to come was nerve-wracking. Would there be any issues with someone experienced deciding to teach about break-downs?

They taught us, how to do that, sectionalize, isolate, brake pipe rupture, etc... It's one of the practicals.

As for CYA = Cover Your Ass, and Consider Yourself Accountable........

They taught us, how to do that, sectionalize, isolate, brake pipe rupture, etc... It's one of the practicals.

As for CYA = Cover Your Ass, and Consider Yourself Accountable........

We were also taught the same thing years ago but only for SMEE equipment. As far as the NTT equipment we were told NOT to touch it but instead wait for a TSS and/or Car equipment to respond to the scene.I asked an RCI this afternoon about this scenario and he said we, train operators, are still not allowed to fix certain things on NTT. We only fix things using our console, vapor, or door keys on NTT.

I guess the (MTA) is trying to "protect" their new babies.

That's what they will say. Truth is they hired a majority of monkees (myself included), who can't do anything right, and that is why they have a surplus of G-2's, pens, and DAN's.......

Or themselves from any possible lawsuits.

Nah, we don't move bad equipment with "customers" (aka passengers), on board, unless absolutely necessary. If we have to, they will make you wait for a TSS. Problem I have with this, is being a TSS is passing a test, so what if the TSS just have 2 weeks out as one, and the T/O has 20+ years.

Don't trust the hourly, so I say let the TSS or Superintendent operate a BO train, with customers on board. Now it's in TA's hand.......

Archived