C/R's must HATE trains with the old school rollsigns...

duelingdragons

I believe the Yard crews are responsible for changing the rollsigns.

Explains why every single rush hour (A) train I've gotten on had the correct signs for whether it's dropping out at Dyckman or going to 207th. But doesn't explain why some (3) trains still say Times Sq as a destination during the day (it's ok, there's room for error, and those trains likely don't come from the yard, they probably stay in service from the night shift). Back when the (M) had R42s, and was a Sea Beach Local to Kings Hwy (I think 2007?), when I went to Metropolitan Av, there was a sign changer, who changed the sign on trains waiting to go back so they'd say Chambers St instead of Kings Highway. Took a video of it, but it's long lost.

The worst HAD to be the Redbirds. So many (2)/<5> trains dropped out at New Lots, and from what I can remember, not many of them were properly signed. Not to mention the (6) vs the <6> and the (7) vs the <7>.

The T/O who puts the train in service is responsable for currect signs before it leaves the Yard but sometimes it does leave the Yard with improper signs if the T/O is held up with defects. The C/R's on most jobs DO NOT go to the Yard they report to the terminal so the T/O has to walk around the train and inside checking that everything is in place along with changing signs with ONLY 45 Minutes to do it after that time to go! Unless its a bad defect. When signs need to be changed that are already on the road they normally have someone assigned to change the signs but if they need a C/R to jump on the train they will use that C/R to take a train instead of changing signs.

It is a pain changing 60 signs top,Middle,bottom but it is part of the job.

If all signs are not changed, the important signs are the front middle and rear. The (7) line has most cars with local signs, but if express, the front, and middle will have express signs. Now with the colored thingies, we just flip a switch. Local or Express.....

The T/O who puts the train in service is responsable for currect signs before it leaves the Yard but sometimes it does leave the Yard with improper signs if the T/O is held up with defects. The C/R's on most jobs DO NOT go to the Yard they report to the terminal so the T/O has to walk around the train and inside checking that everything is in place along with changing signs with ONLY 45 Minutes to do it after that time to go! Unless its a bad defect. When signs need to be changed that are already on the road they normally have someone assigned to change the signs but if they need a C/R to jump on the train they will use that C/R to take a train instead of changing signs.

It is a pain changing 60 signs top,Middle,bottom but it is part of the job.

hey mate, so does this mean on NTTs the C/R doesnt program the LEDs and announcements =|?

On the R142's the program cycle picks any train from (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)<6>(7) and <7> and picks the destination. It all done via the computer, but all computers fail from time to time hence why you got some R142/A running with no LEDs. The R160's are similar but everything from route selection to destination is manual. The F.I.N.D. is far more advance then the R142/As because just in case of an emergency reroute, the F.I.N.D.s must display it. Brighton Zach caught this technology in action when a R160A was resting. The T/O must have put 7 different signs up, (;)(D)(F)(J)(R)(Q)(G).... and all had some sort of funky waypoint. And Vinny The Cool caught an R160A with (C) Leds to Church Avenue.

Quick question then: are there choices for what version of the trunk line you'll be going on? For example, say you pick an (N) to Coney Island, but you have to be a 31 St EXP in Queens, a Broadway EXP in Manhattan, and a Sea Beach Local in Brooklyn (just an example), is there a choice for each of those trunk lines?

Quick question then: are there choices for what version of the trunk line you'll be going on? For example, say you pick an (N) to Coney Island, but you have to be a 31 St EXP in Queens, a Broadway EXP in Manhattan, and a Sea Beach Local in Brooklyn (just an example), is there a choice for each of those trunk lines?

Well one u hit (N) the program give u the automatic choice of uptown and downtown, you just have to manually set the train for the re-route.

Yes there are programs for almost any reroute and even routes that aren't built yet (yup, second avenue T line is programed into the R160's)

And the (Q) Extension, there even a (V) to Canarsie!

Woah V to Canarsie? That would take the train through some trackage that hasn't been used for revenue service in years. That would be a fun ride.

I saw a R-160B set (#9087-9083 9088-9092) sitting in the Coney Island Yard assigned as a (V)

(V) Canarsie

(V) 53 St/6 Av Lcl

(V) Canarsie Local

I also have a video of it sitting in the yard but your not going able to read the exterior signs b/c the sun blocked it off!

I wanna ride the fly over track at Broadway Junction, must be a great view.

Yeah it must be...the tracks are all lathargic and all over the place...under the J tracks I mean..and if i can do that, I would run over to the redbird and slant sitting side by side all the way at the end from the train view. I wonder whats going to be of that redbird...

Archived