Exam for MTA bus

sealteam1962

No exam per-say, but you have to contact (MTA)Bus to apply and when they have an opening they will call. Currently there is a hiring freeze for B/O, Mechanic & utility. In fact they have too many B/O's at this time. To find out if there are any openings go to http://www.mta.info/busco under employment, current openings are posted and the needed info for the position & contact person will be posted. Keep in mind we at (MTA)Bus are NOT civil service and would be the first to be laid off if there is a reduction in workforce. I personally go for TA or MaBSTOA, they have better protections.

The HAT is correct, but they also hire those on the TA and OA lists. Those who apply for TA or OA, are asked if they would like to fill out an application For MTA Bus also. If yes, you now have an option of getting into TA or MTA Bus, or OA or MTA Bus. I would go with OA or TA, and wouldn't recommend applying for MTA Bus, until they get a contract as OA and TA does. You get paid based on the depot you pick in to for MTA Bus. Don't let MTA fool you into you get paid the same no matter the depot. Yonkers depot for MTA bus should be the highest paid, if I am not mistaken........

Yes, but we don't get swing pay of any kind and we have no limit on the number of swing runs we have. So if you do a swing/split run you start say about 6:30AM and you may finish at 8:00PM w/ a swing of 3-4 hours UNPAID! That means for a day that is 13 1/2 hours long you only get paid for 8 1/2, that sucks doesn't it. Also no sick days so if you call out, you don't don't get paid. Even w/ a Dr. note they will give you a hearing and look to suspend you for as little as 1 absence w/ excuse. (MTA)Bus is experimenting w/ new discipline models at Yonkers so to implement them in a future contract. The newest experiment is to suspend an B/O for 5 days and deduct the B/O's pay to new hire for upto 2 weeks after the 5 day suspension. That menas that you loose a weeks pay then on top of that you make only $16.59 p/hr for the next 2 weeks, for something as simple as preventable accident. Trust me stay away from (MTA)Bus, especially Yonkers, you gonna get screwed(NYCT)

Your right about that. MTA bus is noting but problems. I worked for them spring creek and it was not the best job. now that I work for TA it's noting like MTA bus. the guys that train you don't even know what they are doing.

Cool, you worked at spring creek. Are the BM express routes high seniority while the B100/103 are low seniority? Just wondering....

Archived