So how many R40 Slants are in service?

UlmerPark B6

I saw two sets on the (B) this morning, but it's till confusing to me. Does anybody have any info?

no clue. I know there are still a few on the (A) still.

Monday when I was railfanning I saw 3 sets on the (B) and about 4-6 sets on the (A)....so maybe they took one out of service for the (B) 2day

A little transit birdie told me the remaining slants on the (B) will be moved to the (A) by march if R160 deliveries stay on schedule. This would put the 2 sets of R40, 6 of R40a, and however many of the R40m all on the (A). Once the R32 are gone and R160 deliveries catch up enough the R38 will go next, then all of the remaining R40/a/m pairs will be reefed. There is some speculation that the R40m's will stay in service till the R44 start going, but no one knows for sure at this point.

- A

I know they are on the (A)/(B) line but I meant to say that all the R40 slant will be completely on the (A) once it displaced from the (:) by the R68/R68A.

Well it might be soon when the (B) gets replaced with R68/A since the R160B are replacing and moving the R68s from the (N)/(Q) to the (B).

okay but why does it say the R40 slant run on the (E) when it's only R40M?

it says R40s on the (E), not R40 slants. R40s consist of both R40 slants and R40Ms. the owner of datasheet is too lazy to distinguish the R40 slants and R40Ms since technically, there are 200 R40 slants, 100 R40A slants, and 100 R40A straight ended cars a.k.a. R40Ms.

it says R40s on the (E), not R40 slants. R40s consist of both R40 slants and R40Ms. the owner of datasheet is too lazy to distinguish the R40 slants and R40Ms since technically, there are 200 R40 slants, 100 R40A slants, and 100 R40A straight ended cars a.k.a. R40Ms.

Thank You!!!

I'm not too lazy to distinguish over the R40 slants and the R40Ms. They are EXACTLY the same car.

There is an R32 with an R30 B end, does that make it an R32M?

There is an R38 with an R16 roof, does that make it an R38M?

R40M is an unofficial designation, which I make clear in my datasheet.

Correct, the only real difference is the order subtype. R40 has 2 parts to the order. R40, and R40a. the R40a has poles down the center because of the different HVAC layout than the first half of the order. R40 has them offset to one side. The R40m has them down the center as well because they are part of the R40a order. If you have ridden on all the R40 types lately you will notice that there are only 5 pairs left from the original order group, the rest are R40a or modified R40a. The modification was not part of the order option but was put in towards the end of production run. Aside from the cab ends the option order cars are 100% identical.

- A

Archived