R160 Options 2 & 3

Maserati7200

Option 2 of R160's was ordered on November 10, 2008 and consists of 382 cars (242 R160A 140 R160B). I've heard (unconfirmed by any proof) that the MTA is ordering a third option, which will consist of ~230 cars (~130 R160A ~100 R160B). Now, I've seen on the R179 thread where people keep assuming the R179 is going on line X or line Y but you people are forgetting Option 2 and possibly Option 3 of R160's.

My question is, where would Option 2 go? Keep in mind, when Option 1 completes, the (N)(Q)(W)(E) should be fully R160, (J)(M)(Z) will have the same amount of R42's they have now, and the (F) I assume may have ~75% R160's (I'm not sure about the (F), maybe I'm wrong). In previous posts, one MTA worker mentioned that in Option 2, there will be some 4 car sets of R160's to get the R42's out of ENY Yard (Although he didn't mention whether the 4 car sets will be R160B or R160A). So, what are you're thoughts?

I think that some of R160 option 2 will go to Coney Island for the (B), but that is just my speculation. I say that because over the years CIY had priority when it came to new cars.

the (F) line wont have 75% R160's but maybe since the (A)(C) using R46's or R68's in 2012 and it can be from the (D)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines. but the (F) line should get R160's because of the R32's being retired from the (F) line.so basically the (F) line wont have 75% R160's any time soon.

AND maybe option 3 will be the ALSKAW subway cars

and the (B) line will only use R68's

the (E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(Z) are supposed to be fully R160s by the summer of 2010. the 3rd option order will either provide extra service or get rid of some of the R44s (i really hope so) since the base order and first two options orders are replacing all R32s-R42s. if not, R44s will not be going anywhere because it seems only (A) riders enjoy them.

There is R160 moption order 2.

But there is not such thing as R160 OPTION ORDER 3!

stop raising your voice. it is only a rumor that there will be a third option order and you do not know exactly when each subway car will retire. anything is possible in the next few months. in fact, (E) riders have complained that delays due to mechanical problems have increased since it swapped the R32s for the R40M/42s. no one seems to like the R42s (and i can see why), but (A)(C) riders were overjoyced to have the R32s back on their line

the (F) line wont have 75% R160's but maybe since the (A)(C) using R46's or R68's in 2012 and it can be from the (D)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines. but the (F) line should get R160's because of the R32's being retired from the (F) line.so basically the (F) line wont have 75% R160's any time soon.

AND maybe option 3 will be the ALSKAW subway cars

and the (B) line will only use R68's

the (D) is not getting R68's and the R68's will not go on the (A) and (C) cause there surposed to recieved R179's and the last option of the R160s

You mean you're

overjoiced. Most people I know(classmates) prefer brighter interiors with bucket seats on the A line.

(A) riders are quite used to the R44s, but (C) riders loved the R32s and hated the R38s-R42s. that is why the (C) and (E) swapped cars even though (E) riders have also said a gazillion times they hated the R42s.

the (D) is not getting R68's and the R68's will not go on the (A) and (C) cause there surposed to recieved R179's and the last option of the R160s

the (A)(C) are not getting R160s. they will most likely get R46s from Jamaica and R68/68As from Coney Island once both yards received all the R160s. the (D) will keep its R68s until the R179s arrive. it still believe R179s will go on the (B)(D)(G) and its R68/68As will be transferred to Pitkin. Coney Island usually has top priority when it comes to receiving new cars.

(A) riders are quite used to the R44s, but (C) riders loved the R32s and hated the R38s-R42s. that is why the (C) and (E) swapped cars even though (E) riders have also said a gazillion times they hated the R42s.

the (A)(C) are not getting R160s. they will most likely get R46s from Jamaica and R68/68As from Coney Island once both yards received all the R160s. the (D) will keep its R68s until the R179s arrive. it still believe R179s will go on the (B)(D)(G) and its R68/68As will be transferred to Pitkin. Coney Island usually has top priority when it comes to receiving new cars.

the R68's will stay on the (:) and (D). Just because Coney Island recieves new cars dosen't mean they run on the (B) and (D) and there's not enough R179's to run on the (B) or (D) cause the it says R179's will go replace the R44 so stop saying they will run on the (B) and (D) there's not enough

the R68's will stay on the (B) and (D). Just because Coney Island recieves new cars dosen't mean they run on the (:) and (D) and there's not enough R179's to run on the (B) or (D) cause the it says R179's will go replace the R44 so stop saying they will run on the (B) and (D) there's not enough

i did not say R179s would run 100% on the (B)(D). it is just a simple matter of common sense that Coney Island has top priority when it comes to getting new cars. some, but NOT all, R68/68As would be moved to Pitkin to replace the R44s.

I don't know where you guys are getting your info.

I am assuming that there is not going to be an R160 option order 3 because there is no proof of it yet. Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Your SS teacher should be fired if they have not bored that fact through your heads already.

This is what may happen:

The (E) runs 26 trains and the (F) runs 45.

By the end of Option I (430 cars go to Jamaica), the (E) will be fully R160 with the (F) running several R160s. The (R) will NOT get R160s except for a set or two running around during rush hours. This is enough to send all of the R32 to Pitkin to retire the R40s so Pitkin only has R32s now.

The R32s at Jamaica are gone and at Pitkin. The R40s and some R42s are also retired. They will be replaced by R160s.

Since there will be a couple of R46 sets displaced by the extra R160s on the (F), they will go to Pitkin to retire the R32s on the (A).

CI will likely get the second option order, which means the (B) will become fully R160. The R68s will be transferred to Pitkin and the (A) and (C) will run R68s. This will mean the (C) becomes 10 cars. The R68s retire any remaining R32 and R40s at Pitkin.

I am assuming that there is not going to be an R160 option order 3 because there is no proof of it yet. Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Your SS teacher should be fired if they have not bored that fact through your heads already.

This is what may happen:

By the end of Option I (430 cars go to Jamaica), the (E) will be fully R160 with the (F) running several R160s. The (R) will NOT get R160s except for a set or two running around during rush hours. This is enough to send all of the R32 to Pitkin to retire the R40s so Pitkin only has R32s now.

The R32s at Jamaica are gone and at Pitkin. The R40s and some R42s are also retired. They will be replaced by R160s.

Since there will be a couple of R46 sets displaced by the extra R160s on the (F), they will go to Pitkin to retire the R32s on the (A).

CI will likely get the second option order, which means the (B) will become fully R160. The R68s will be transferred to Pitkin and the (A) and (C) will run R68s. This will mean the (C) becomes 10 cars. The R68s retire any remaining R32 and R40s at Pitkin.

I think you're answer makes most sense out of all the other ones.

This is what may happen:

the (:) is not getting R160's. R160s is only going to go on Jamaica and Coney Island and East New York. The (B) is not planning to get R160s

The (B) is a Coney Island line.

it is possibility the (:) would get R160s, but as of right now, that is not being planned. the car assignments should look like this once all R32s-R42s retire

(A): R44s, R46s, and perhaps R68/68As

(B): R68/68As

(C): same as (A) except without R44s

(D): R68s

(E): R160s

(F): R160s and some R46s

(G): R68/68As

(J)(Z): R160s

(L): R143s and R160s

(M)(N)(Q)(W): R160s

(R)(V): R46s

now when the R179s come in to replace the R44s (the base order is only 208 cars, not enough to replace all R44s in service), it should look like this:

(A): R46s, R68/68As, and a few R44s

(B): R68/68As and R179s

(C): R46s and R68/68As

(D): R68s and R179s

(E): R160s

(F): R160s and some R46s

(G): R68/68As

(J)(Z): R160s

(L): R143s and R160s

(M)(N)(Q)(W): R160s

(R)(V): R46s

do not argue with me, but this is what i predict will happen.

I can raise my voice if I want to.

R32/R38/R40 Slant/R40M/R42 will retire sometime this year so get over it.

well that's why the (E) line is getting new subway cars so they can stop complaining about the old cars.

if you continue raising your voice, you can get banned for life. i know all R32s-R42s will be retired by this time next year, but the retirement date for each car type is not certain with the exception of the R38s, which will be gone by the end of next month. anything is possible during the next year. the (E) is set to be fully R160s by summer time, but until then, its riders will have to deal with those rusted and ugly R42s.

the (E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(Z) are supposed to be fully R160s by the summer of 2010. the 3rd option order will either provide extra service or get rid of some of the R44s (i really hope so) since the base order and first two options orders are replacing all R32s-R42s. if not, R44s will not be going anywhere because it seems only (A) riders enjoy them.

Wrong. I can't stand those R44 cars on the (A). I hope they get trashed like they deserve to.

the (B) is not getting R160's. R160s is only going to go on Jamaica and Coney Island and East New York. The (B) is not planning to get R160s

The second option order R160s are likely going to Coney Island. By then the (B) will be the only CI line that is not completely R160.

The day the R68/68As go onto the (A) & (C) lines will be the day I stop railfanning. The 3rd option order of R160Bs is supposably going to replace the R44s and to be equipped with Siemens Propulsion

Why will you stop railfanning? A car transfer really isn't the end of the world.

Archived