LIRR Application Process Questions

Lincolndriver

Before I took the subway conductor test, I applied to several positions with the LIRR. (conductor, track worker, station cleaner, and car cleaner) The application process changed to an "online" format and I reapplied for all positions.

Other than one confirmation for track worker, I haven't received any notification. Should I submit my resume again, and how many times in a particular period can you apply before your a pain in the a$$ or considered spam?

Does anybody on the "inside" know a particular position that hires faster than others? I want to get my foot in the door. I have a strong equipment background from the volunteer fire service and running an equipment rental company. Thanks for any info in advance.

I can't speek for LIRR but I was in the same boat with Metro North. For longer than I can remember I was filling out the online applications with no results.

It was only until last summer when there was an open house at one of the local train stations, I personally handed a resume to one of the recruters. With in a week I received notice to take a writen test and yesterday I received notice of a "conditional offer" contingent on passing a medical examination.

Persistance does pay off.

Postition that I'm being offered is "Custodian with CDL", a position I originally applied to quite some time last winter. I only found out that this was the position when I received the notification to schedule an interview.

When I received the invitation for the written exam it was for a "Coach Cleaner" position. I later found out that this is the test given for both positions.

In my quest to getting hired I like you was just trying to get my foot into the door with an organization with the reputation they have. The unfortunate part is I will be taking a painful hit in pay to start off with (almost 7 dollars an hour!). I'm hoping for a lot of overtime to make up for it.

Yes, you are absolutely right, $7.00 pay cut is crazy but....

I don't have the security now that MNR would offer (if there is such a thing these days as security). I would get better benefits and better retirement then I currently get.

The pay cut would only be temporary until I work my way up to a higher scale pay with their new hires.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've submitted my resume every week for the entire year of 2008, even delivered it in person every 3 weeks. Heard NOTHING!(A)(NYCT)

First 2008 was the worst year to try and get hired because of the economy. Second it is very hard to get into the LIRR if you don't know anybody to hand your resume to the right person.

well that dont help.
I applied for the Locomotovie engineer position. I got a letter about 2 years after applying. They make you come down for an interview. If you pass the interview they give you a sample Rules and Regulations of the road pamphelt to study. When you go back for your 2nd interview you have to know about 35 signals aspects and 12 definitions word for word. I dont know about the TA definitions you get in TA school car but the ones for the LIRR are about 5-20 sentences long. If you passed that you are given all of the signals to memorize including Amtrak Signals and all of the definitions they use and you have to memorize all of them. You have to score a 100% on the signals if not you dont get to go to their version of school car and you have to get about 80% of the definitions correct. I messed up because I just had my daughter and could not get any study time for myself and was working a full time Accounting job, and if any body has any experience in corporate accounting the end of the month is a mother. I got 2 signals wrong and 50 % of the definintions wrong. To get that position off the street you really have to be focus because you only get 2 weeks to absorb all of the information. That position is really there for promotion only 1 out of 20 people off the street make it. The people that already are on the job have an advantage becuase the conductors have to know all of the signals also so they have access to most of the informaion needed to pass all of their test. Plus at the end of the probation you would have to draw the whole system by memory signals switches stations, and you have to be available for training every wed and sud. Wed you go to the lirr headquarters in jamaica on sunday you go to wherever location is closest to your trainer....IE montauk HAmptons.

I applied for the Locomotovie engineer position. I got a letter about 2 years after applying. They make you come down for an interview. If you pass the interview they give you a sample Rules and Regulations of the road pamphelt to study. When you go back for your 2nd interview you have to know about 35 signals aspects and 12 definitions word for word. I dont know about the TA definitions you get in TA school car but the ones for the LIRR are about 5-20 sentences long. If you passed that you are given all of the signals to memorize including Amtrak Signals and all of the definitions they use and you have to memorize all of them. You have to score a 100% on the signals if not you dont get to go to their version of school car and you have to get about 80% of the definitions correct. I messed up because I just had my daughter and could not get any study time for myself and was working a full time Accounting job, and if any body has any experience in corporate accounting the end of the month is a mother. I got 2 signals wrong and 50 % of the definintions wrong. To get that position off the street you really have to be focus because you only get 2 weeks to absorb all of the information. That position is really there for promotion only 1 out of 20 people off the street make it. The people that already are on the job have an advantage becuase the conductors have to know all of the signals also so they have access to most of the informaion needed to pass all of their test. Plus at the end of the probation you would have to draw the whole system by memory signals switches stations, and you have to be available for training every wed and sud. Wed you go to the lirr headquarters in jamaica on sunday you go to wherever location is closest to your trainer....IE montauk HAmptons.

Ha ha...say no more. Accounting EVERY day is a mother... Trust me I know.

Signed,

Someone who took the C/R and will take the T/O exam before he even bothered applying for the CPA :D (which his company will pay for and he doesn't care if he gets)

how many times in a particular period can you apply before your a pain in the a$$ or considered spam?

My neighbor is a retired LIRR engineer. Years ago, he said send a resume every month. I did for a few, but then stopped. It took him like 3-4 years to get his son in, and like 6-7 for his son in law, and he had to work several positions before going to engineer.. They only carry like 420-440 engineers system wide, I think.

Another parent on the soccer team had a hook, got his resume added to the engineer recruiting list two years ago. Made it to just before the training & crapped out on a test by an answer or two.

"Thank you very much, apply again next year!"

Second it is very hard to get into the LIRR if you don't know anybody to hand your resume to the right person.

I kick myself quite often for not taking advantage of the moment. I used to see a (MTA) Lawyer who handled everything except labor contracts, riding home on the LIRR quite often. He lives a few towns from me, & offered the last time I saw him to take a resume in for me. I wound up picking a job & stopped taking the LIRR.. I never saw him again! Note to self, carry resume all the time..

:cry: I should have had one in the bag!!! :cry:

Archived