Should the S79 & or M60 become a fulltime 24/7 line?

Shortline Bus

Hi guys. I know the ecomony is horrible right now and some form of budget cuts are probably on the way by summer 2009. However if and when the MTA Budget is back to normal, which of these '2' bus lines should become an all night line? The S79 SI mall-Bay Ridge line via Hylan or the M60 Upper Manhattan-LGA line?

I offer my comments later just wanted you guys reaction.

Good points Ulmer.

For sake of discussion let me add these other busy routes that dont run all night.

BX1

BX3

BX5

QBX1

Q22

Q53

Q66

M5

B49

Express routes

X-1 Staten Island

BXM7 Coop City-Midtown line

Which if any of these bus routes when the budget crisis is over should be an all night line.

The Bx31 should run all night, every 50 minutes, all you need is 2 buses running back and forth, with 7-8 minutes break a trip. The Bx5 should run a little later but I don't know about all night. The Bx1 should run earlier in the morning, the first Riverdale bound bus at Fordham Road don't come til like 6:40AM on a weekday. WTF.. And the Bx55, all of them should go to Gun Hill, weekend and weekday.

The S79 just need the hours extended to about 1 am -ish all days. Outside of it use the s53 and xfer to s78 for Hylan.

The x1 and M60 should be 24/7 right now.

The rest of it you listed it... just extend the hours...

Playing devils adovcate should not the Q22 be extended to run 24/7 since the Rockaway Pensuila between Beach 116th and Mott Ave/Far Rockaway does not have any overnight bus service?

Remember ppl going between Far Rock and Rockaway Park and vice versa must use the (S) to Broad Channel and come back on the Mott Ave (A).

Or maybe an alternative run the Q53 all night and extend it to Far Rock overnights.

Soon as I read the thread title, I said to myself... isn't the M60 already 24/7

as for the S79, at this point & time, I don't think it deserves 24/7 service....

after around 9pm on weekdays (don't know about weekends), Q22's run empty west of B 116th... So I don't think that line deserves all day service... same deal w/ the B49; if you see a northbound bus with more than 10 people at any point along the ride after 8pm, that's a lot of people... heading southbound from fulton st, you won't see many (if any) riders heading south of flatbush av...

those other routes you listed... only one that deserves 24/7 service is the X1

Soon as I read the thread title, I said to myself... isn't the M60 already 24/7

as for the S79, at this point & time, I don't think it deserves 24/7 service....

after around 9pm on weekdays (don't know about weekends), Q22's run empty west of B 116th... So I don't think that line deserves all day service... same deal w/ the B49; if you see a northbound bus with more than 10 people at any point along the ride after 8pm, that's a lot of people... heading southbound from fulton st, you won't see many (if any) riders heading south of flatbush av...

those other routes you listed... only one that deserves 24/7 service is the X1

Woops my bad. Sorry B) It must be within last 1-2 years that all night hourly headways service began on the M60. Prior to that time, M60 was not 24/7 and ran from about 5am-1am seven days a week.

Good point B35 that the X1 should be a 24-hour line. It already runs 22.5 hours a day Weekdays from 3am-130am.

The Bx5 is a little bit silly. It ends much too early. I don't know why all the buses that go to Pelham Bay stop running...Besides the Bx12, is there any bus there that runs 24/7?

Maybe it's a selfish reason, but for Pelham Bay/ Co-Op City people trying to have dinner in Throgs Neck, it really isn't fair that it stops running so early.

The Bx5 is a little bit silly. It ends much too early. I don't know why all the buses that go to Pelham Bay stop running...Besides the Bx12, is there any bus there that runs 24/7?

Maybe it's a selfish reason, but for Pelham Bay/ Co-Op City people trying to have dinner in Throgs Neck, it really isn't fair that it stops running so early.

Only thing you can do is take the Bx40 to the (6) train. B)

Good points Ulmer.

For sake of discussion let me add these other busy routes that dont run all night.

BX1

BX3

BX5

QBX1

Q22

Q53

Q66

M5

B49

Express routes

X-1 Staten Island

Which if any of these bus routes when the budget crisis is over should be an all night line.

Bx1/2 is not needed during late night as the Concourse (D) runs, although the (D) doesnt run south of 167th and north of Bedford, on Grand Concourse..

QBX1 no need as we got the Bx28 running all over Co-Op city, what the MaBSTOA and T/A can do is have the Bx5 run late night and extend to Co-Op City to replace QBX1 and transfer can be accessible to the Q44 for QBx1 Stop.

M5 not needed, you can use the (A)(1)(2)(N)(Q) for subway and M4/M104/M7 for Bus

where do you hear that?

It's true. The M60 became a 24/7 line last summer when the TA also expanded service on several bus lines like the Q59 and subway lines like the (3)(M)& (B) lines. It runs every 30 minutes between 1am-4am weekday overnights and every 60 minutes from 2-4am weekends.

Source. http://WWW.MTA.INFO and click NYCT Bus schedules link.

Prior to that the M60 did used to run from about 5am-130am.

Bx1/2 is not needed during late night as the Concourse (D) runs, although the (D) doesnt run south of 167th and north of Bedford, on Grand Concourse..

QBX1 no need as we got the Bx28 running all over Co-Op city, what the MaBSTOA and T/A can do is have the Bx5 run late night and extend to Co-Op City to replace QBX1 and transfer can be accessible to the Q44 for QBx1 Stop.

M5 not needed, you can use the (A)(1)(2)(N)(Q) for subway and M4/M104/M7 for Bus

Mark the M4 does not run overnights either. It ends earllier than the M5 with last bus leaving Penn Station around 10pm daily.

Good points Ulmer.

BX1

BX3

BX5

QBX1

Q22

Q53

Q66

M5

B49

Express routes

X-1 Staten Island

Bx1, Bx3, Bx5!, QBx1, Q22, Q53, and B49, X1 should be full time buses, especially the Bx1, Bx5, B49, Q22 and Q66, and X1.

also, the B16 should be an all nighter as well. it runs from Bay Ridge to Lefferts Gardens. that bus should be added more service rather than less service.

S79 is a good route to operate from 4 AM to 2AM Mon thru Fri and from 4AM to 1AM Sat, Sun and Holidays.

M60 is a MUST to operate 24/7 because it serves LGA Airport from Harlem.

Archived