What bus lines should have limited stop service?

B41

As we all know, we ride many bus routes in the 5 boroughs and some of our favorite routes that are just local happen to get very overcrowding. So guys, tell me, if you wanted any bus route to have a limited section of it, which routes would you chose and why?

I will start by saying the long S79. At least weekdays from 6AM to 9PM.

All comments here please.B)

Co-signs This!!!!

i was thinking the same thing

The Bx9 I rarely worked, but the Bx36 I did 1 pick on, the Bx19 I did 3 picks on. I know how long it can be, and actually had customers ask me why is there no Limited service on those lines.......

The Q23 should have limited stop service. Ridership is higher than before and it is definitely needed in Forest Hills and especially if they plan on extending it to the Atlas Park Mall. You know I always had a vision of the Q23 being extend to somewhere in Jamaica, i.e. Parsons-Archer, running along the 54 on Metropolian Av.

The Bx9 I rarely worked, but the Bx36 I did 1 pick on, the Bx19 I did 3 picks on. I know how long it can be, and actually had customers ask me why is there no Limited service on those lines.......

yeah man.... i know all 3 routes very well....

the Bx9 Need a Limited From 225 and Broadway to West Farms.

The Bx36 id say from The bridge to story ave

and the Bx19.. The Whole Bronx!!!!

I think the B3 and B9 could use limited service, at least during rush hours. I don't think the B6 and the B35 should be the only Brooklyn East/West routes to have limited service.

The B3 and B9 are the only two I can think of right now.

B3- Ltd Between McDonald Ave and Kings Plaza (Stops at Coney island, E16th, Ocean Ave, Nostrand, Gerristen, and Flatbush) Weekdays

B9- Ltd rush hours only between 5th Avenue and Flatbush Avenue. (stops at major transfer points)

Though I feel a B3 LTD would be more important than a B9 LTD

Guest Charles
The Q23 should have limited stop service. Ridership is higher than before and it is definitely needed in Forest Hills and especially if they plan on extending it to the Atlas Park Mall. You know I always had a vision of the Q23 being extend to somewhere in Jamaica, i.e. Parsons-Archer, running along the 54 on Metropolian Av.

I agree with you 100%. In both directions it is crowded because ppl need to get to the Continental Avenue station. The problem, though, is that there are about 5-6 people at each stop. Having limited stop service would cause them inconvenience or force the local Q23 to be ridiculously crowded. What I think could be done is increase the headways of the Q23 during rush hours. I think it's 8 minutes for a bus; cut that down to 5 maybe. It really irritates me when I'm waiting for the Q23 at the Continental Av Station to see 4-5 Q64s pass. I don't know, College Point seems to be a really good depot or something.

Do you think the Q54 needs limited stop service? Long route, but Metropolitan's a really crowded street.

Guys. In order for a NYCT/MTA Bus to have limited service, it must have these requirements:

1)The route must travel at least 6 miles from point a-point b along it's 'main route." So instance the M86 being a crosstown Manhatan route at 3-4 minute headways does not count.

2)Headways or the frequencies of a proposed line must be every 5 minutes or less weekdays and every 6 minutes or less weekends/holidays. The exception for headway requirements for limited stop service is the Q35 and M60 which are interborough routes and special 'express intraborough' lines such as the M98 Q53 Q100 and B103.

So routes like the Q23, B37 and B63 would be elimanted since during rush hours they have 10-15 minute headways and 8 minute headways.

In addition the "R" train parells the B37 and B63 the entire route, making it less likely for service.

In Brooklyn, the B47 has 7-8 minute headways rush hours so that another route not likely to get limited stop service. Plus the B46 is nearby too.

The B15 in Brooklyn and the BX19 in Bronx is close with 6-7 minute headways rush hours along the main line between Flushing Ave and the Postal Center. While the B3 has 4-5 minute headways during the rush hour and every 6-7 minute most of the day weekdays until 8pm.

These are the facts folks not my views.

Guys. In order for a NYCT/MTA Bus to have limited service, it must have these requirements:

1)The route must travel at least 6 miles from point a-point b along it's 'main route." So instance the M86 being a crosstown Manhatan route at 3-4 minute headways does not count.

2)Headways or the frequencies of a proposed line must be every 5 minutes or less weekdays and every 6 minutes or less weekends/holidays. The exception for headway requirements for limited stop service is the Q35 and M60 which are interborough routes and special 'express intraborough' lines such as the M98 Q53 Q100 and B103.

So routes like the Q23, B37 and B63 would be elimanted since during rush hours they have 10-15 minute headways and 8 minute headways.

In addition the "R" train parells the B37 and B63 the entire route, making it less likely for service.

In Brooklyn, the B47 has 7-8 minute headways rush hours so that another route not likely to get limited stop service. Plus the B46 is nearby too.

The B15 in Brooklyn and the BX19 in Bronx is close with 6-7 minute headways rush hours along the main line between Flushing Ave and the Postal Center. While the B3 has 4-5 minute headways during the rush hour and every 6-7 minute most of the day weekdays until 8pm.

Ridership just isn't there for the B47... and although it (the schedule) may say that it's headways that 7-8 minutes or w/e, that's just not true... I could stand along Ralph av and only see 5-6 buses MAX per hour, heading either towards Woodhull OR Kings Plaza... y'all do the math....

anyway, I'm glad you brought up (the part I underlined there in your post)....that's part of the reason why I think the B37 should go... B63 currently gets way more ridership, so I think that should be the route in SW brooklyn that gets a slight increase in service (w/ the 37 set to be gone).... which may very well lead to LTD service along 5th....

^^ I'm inclined to agree w/ your last two sentences; All those Ridgewood - Downtown Brooklyn routes feel like that... from the B26 on down to the B54....

People say the B38 LTD has worked wonders since it's inception...

But IMO, the B54 can do w/o LTD service for the time being.....

^^ I'm inclined to agree w/ your last two sentences; All those Ridgewood - Downtown Brooklyn routes feel like that... from the B26 on down to the B54....

People say the B38 LTD has worked wonders since it's inception...

But IMO, the B54 can do w/o LTD service for the time being.....

I agree with you B35. The B38 is a great bus and one of my new favorites ! I been using the B38 more and more than the slow B54. The B38 follows the B54 old bus route in Downtown so I can get to the (2)(3)(4)(5) Nevins Street faster. The 38 seems to come like clock work. At rush rour it seems the bus come every couple seconds. It you miss two buses. Two buses comes seconds later. You don't have to wait long. The only downside to the B38 is the (J) Kosciuszko Street station. You can only get the (J). At Myrtle Avenue you have the choice of both the (J) and the (M).

I think the S79 needs the S99 to be a limited bus. The S78 could use an S88 as well. These are two long bus routes. Try to go "end to end." Let me me know how long the trip is. That's without traffic, of course.

Anthony some good news. The MTA plans to introduce SBS *aka Rapid Transt service to the S79 by end of this year or early in 2010.

I agree with you B35. The B38 is a great bus and one of my new favorites ! I been using the B38 more and more than the slow B54. The B38 follows the B54 old bus route in Downtown so I can get to the (2)(3)(4)(5) Nevins Street faster. The 38 seems to come like clock work. At rush rour it seems the bus come every couple seconds. It you miss two buses. Two buses comes seconds later. You don't have to wait long. The only downside to the B38 is the (J) Kosciuszko Street station. You can only get the (J). At Myrtle Avenue you have the choice of both the (J) and the (M).

Yep, that sounds exactly like the B38... before & after the 38 LTD was introduced... that route was always the most realible out of the bunch (B26, 38, 52, 54)...

the 26 comes when it comes (lol)... 52 has a tendency to bunch (for w/e the reason, I am not sure.. but god help you if you miss it)... the 54 is the worst; this is why I get after ppl. that want to combine the B54 w/ the Q55... and closing off myrtle at quote-unquote metrotech plaza (or w/e it's called) didn't help matters at all...

I think the S79 needs the S99 to be a limited bus. The S78 could use an S88 as well. These are two long bus routes. Try to go "end to end." Let me me know how long the trip is. That's without traffic, of course.

I'm sorry, I just have to disagree with this...

the S78 has the S79 for "help" along Hylan... heading towards tottenville, the S59...

an "S88" would be a waste.. you know what else hurts the cause? a] the SIRR, itself, and b] all those dam expresses that run on Hylan....

^^ result, no S78 LTD counterpart...

as for BRT on Hylan, it's set to follow most of the S79 routing....

as for the last comment you made there... yeh, S78 end to end is about 1:30, the S79 is about 1:15-1:20....

you can check the timetables on the MTA site if you want, I'm going by personal experience(s)....

B8 Lmtd btn Rmsen/Church Ave and Veteran's Hosp.

Lmtd stops at Cropsey/15th Ave, Bath/18th Ave, 86th St, Bay Ridge Pkwy, 65th, 60th, 50th, McDonald, Ocean Pkwy, CI Ave & 18th Ave(E/:) & Foster Ave (W/:), E16th (Newkirk Station), Ocean Ave, Flatbush, Nostrand & Ave D/Newkirk, Albany (or E40th St), Utica, Kings Hwy & Av D (E/B) & Beverly Rd (W/B), Ralph Ave & Ave B/ Beverly, Remsen/Church Ave.

Howzat! :cool:

The Bx19 during the rush runs every 5 minutes, at least on the drivers paddle report. I worked that workhorse. Politics and community strength gets things done. The ridership on the Bx19, well ain't the most politically connected to say the least. Hell even on the Bx36, or Bx9 (except Riverdale, and they can't get a Bx7 overnight there)............

The B82 is in need of limited stop service. The route is one of the longest east-west routes in Brooklyn, with a ton of stops.

The big issue would be street space along a few spots of Kings Highway and Flatlands Avenue near Flatbush Avenue.

Agreed 1,000% on this idea. However just like someone suggesting limited stop service for the S-78/79 Hylan Coordior in SI, the B82 is suuposed to get a BRT aka "Select' bus service similar to the BX12 running between Bay and Belt Parkways in Bensonhurst and the Spring Creek Gateway Mall in Starret City area by next year.:tup:

Archived