Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MattTrain

Light Rail Green line Train from Boston

Last Sunday, I went to Boston to visit a relative. I decided to look at some of the light rails around Boston. It's just the light rail Green line along Beacon Street. The train was intermixed, a new train and the old one.

Here it is:

79870007-1.jpg

Believe it or not, these buttons for pedestrians work here in Boston and has detailed instuctions, unlike the small silver buttons of NYC, which work 25% of the time.

79870009.jpg

79870011.jpg

79870012.jpg

79870013.jpg

79870014.jpg

79870015.jpg

79870016.jpg

Yours Truly

79870018.jpg

Metatops.

Edited by MattTrain

Awesome. Did you like the announcements on the Green Line?

Of course I did. The announcer was precise and clear, and the LCD's are great. I boarded a Green Line train to From St. Paul Station to St. Mary's station, just two stops. I enter coins for my fare. The propulsion sounds similar to that of an R142A and R143 cars of the NYC subway

Nice pics. Boston has a lame baseball team but an excellent transit system

Thanks Metapops. Once again if the NIMBYs in NYC were more open minded, light rail like Boston's Green Line could be a reality especially in the outerboros.

Nice pics. Boston has a lame baseball team but an excellent transit system

Thanks a lot, I'd like to see more of the city's transit system. The Boston Red Sox, aren't that great of a team, and I agree, and you reminded me, that's one reason I left my Yankee cap at home, because my cousin talked of Boston Red Sox fans pestering people with Yankee hats, that can be quite annoying.

Anyways the light rail rocks!

Edited by MattTrain

Thanks Metapops. Once again if the NIMBYs in NYC were more open minded, light rail like Boston's Green Line could be a reality especially in the outerboros.

New York City once had light rails, or street cars, but that was take out in favor of the subways and elevated lines. I'd like to see light rails again in NYC, but Boston's Light rail is very good too.

New York City once had light rails, or street cars, but that was take out in favor of the subways and elevated lines. I'd like to see light rails again in NYC, but Boston's Light rail is very good too.

I aware:tup:. Off topic for second but some trivia. The name MLB's Brooklyn Dodgers (now the LA Dodgers)was taken from Brooklyn trolleys and light right.

You can mostly thank both Robert Moses and indirectly the American Auto Industry like General Motors for NYC, LA and across the country for light rail/trolleys disappering by the late 1960's.

I still believe in MY Gut some form of light rail will return to NYC within 5-10 years. It a much cheaper and faster alternative to the subway especially in places like the Bronx and Queens.:cool:

I aware:tup:. Off topic for second but some trivia. The name MLB's Brooklyn Dodgers (now the LA Dodgers)was taken from Brooklyn trolleys and light right.

You can mostly thank both Robert Moses and indirectly the American Auto Industry like General Motors for NYC, LA and across the country for light rail/trolleys disappearing by the late 1960's.

I still believe in MY Gut some form of light rail will return to NYC within 5-10 years. It a much cheaper and faster alternative to the subway especially in places like the Bronx and Queens.:cool:

Yep, Light rails were considered useless by these pioneers. Sad, that automobiles, and buses had to push these forms of transportation out, but they're not extinct, they're plentiful across the world, and different too.

Anyways here's another set taken from my hotel.

2009-02-01_0001.jpg

2009-02-01_0002.jpg

This was just a one car light rail train.

And here's a close up of each.

2009-02-01_0002-1.jpg

2009-02-01_0001-1.jpg

That's it from Boston.

Hey. I actually live down the street from there just over the Brookline line in Boston. The Green like is nice, but at rush hour can get slow due to train traffic. Also, the noise from the motors is only from the new Breda Type 8 cars. The older Kinki-Sharyo Type 7 cars don't really make any noise when accelerating. I will try to get out this weekend an get some pix of the actual street running trains in Jamaica Plain. Most of the Green Line downtown is underground, the D Line is all a private right of way and the C and D Lines are in the median. The E Train runs in the median of Huntington Ave then runs in traffic.