What are the fastest bus routes?

NovaBus 5121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

For NYCT, MTAB, what are the fastest local, limited & express buses? Straphangers.org often notes the slowest, but which are the fastest (which I'm pretty sure it will be slower than most cities)?

Bronx

Bx12 Select (though the Bx12 Limited was faster IMO)

Manhattan

M5 (Riverside Drive portion), M98 (I've never been on it, just speculation)

Brooklyn

B44 Limited

Queens

Q5 Limited, Q17 Limited

Staten Island

S40/90. I've been on the S40 local. We just breezed down the Terrace. The bus went half a mile between stops. I would assume the S90 limited is faster

Express

QM21-one of the few Queens express routes to use the LIE both in the AM and PM. If no one's getting off at Kew Gardens then it will take the LIE to the Van Wyck.

BxM7-it depends on the traffic on the Bruckner but generally it's fast once it escapes the Manhattan gridlock

Bm5-I've never been on it, speculation

From my expeience.

Bronx buses:

Bx12SBS: Fast

Bx13: Even thought it's local, to me it's fast local bus.

Brooklyn Buses:

B39 is fast for me.

B51 is tie with B39 except for downtown Brooklyn.

B61: Even thought it]s longest bus, to me it's first.

Manhattan Buses:

M1\M2/M3/M4: Fast on CPW

M5 is fast on Riverside Drive

M35 flies in Randall/Ward's Islands

M60: Flies on RFK Bridge when no traffic and fast in Queens and airport grounds.

M66, M79, M86 flies quick.

M98 LTD: AM Trip northbound flies on Harlem River Drive! PM Trip Southhound flies on same highway.

M100 is fast on Broadway.

Queens Buses:

Q10 LTD is very fast.

Q17 LTD/Q27 LCL is very fast.

Old Q21- Not extention one/Q22/Q35: Both fast

Q25/Q65 LTD: Fast bus.

Q44 LTD is also fast.

Q53 LTD: Even with LTD stop, it is still fast!

Q66: Fast on Northern Blvd

Q72: Very fast local bus!

Q102: Fast in Roosevelt Island!

Staten Island

S53/S93 is fast.

S79 is fast on Hylan Blvd

S89 LTD: Super fast.

Long Island- Nassau County

Even busy N6 is long and crowded ride, it's still fast ride for me.

N72 included.

Express Bus in five boroughs

BxM1/BxM2/BxM10/BxM11: With no traffic, it's fast.

QM15: Fast in Queens.

X17C: Exclusive Bus Lane on SIE made this fast express bus except for Gowanus part.

Atlantic Express X23: Fast on NJ Turnpike.

X25/X90: With no FDR traffic, very first.

Bm5-I've never been on it, speculation

ok, and let me tell you....

you'd think that, but once it gets to brooklyn, it feels like a local route... almost as bad as the Bm2....

the BM3 is probably the faster of the five "BM" routes....

yes, those AE drivers can move those bad boys... but, I had to laugh at this...

what's the difference b/w the x23 & the x24 on the turnpike...

-----

the fastest LTD and local route I would think, is out of Staten Island....

The QBx1 as mentioned, the Bx5, both are also really fast routes.

The Q65 Limited be suprising me, it often beats the Q44 from Flushing to Jamaica and Jamaica to Flushing.

Q35 of course.

The B44 Limited ain't the fastest, hell naw. The B103 moves better than that.

Staten Island is hard to pick because there's so many fast routes there.

Manhattan's fastest route is probably the M5.

My fastest routes are

Bronx:

Bx12 SBS

Manhattan:

M5 & M98 Limited

Queens:

Not familiar with Queens as much as I used to but probably an MTA Bus Route (which one, I don't know). Maybe a limited route from Jamaica Depot.

Q5, Q17

Staten Island:

Many of the routes. Maybe the S44, S53, S78 & S79 (Only routes I've ridden in Staten Island)

Brooklyn:

B103, maybe a Grand Av Depot Route (such as the B61 in certain stretches).

From my expeience.

Bronx buses:

Bx12SBS: Fast

Bx13: Even thought it's local, to me it's fast local bus.

Brooklyn Buses:

B39 is fast for me.

B51 is tie with B39 except for downtown Brooklyn.

B61: Even thought it]s longest bus, to me it's first.

Manhattan Buses:

M1\M2/M3/M4: Fast on CPW

M5 is fast on Riverside Drive

M35 flies in Randall/Ward's Islands

M60: Flies on RFK Bridge when no traffic and fast in Queens and airport grounds.

M66, M79, M86 flies quick.

M98 LTD: AM Trip northbound flies on Harlem River Drive! PM Trip Southhound flies on same highway.

M100 is fast on Broadway.

Queens Buses:

Q10 LTD is very fast.

Q17 LTD/Q27 LCL is very fast.

Old Q21- Not extention one/Q22/Q35: Both fast

Q25/Q65 LTD: Fast bus.

Q44 LTD is also fast.

Q53 LTD: Even with LTD stop, it is still fast!

Q66: Fast on Northern Blvd

Q72: Very fast local bus!

Q102: Fast in Roosevelt Island!

Staten Island

S53/S93 is fast.

S79 is fast on Hylan Blvd

S89 LTD: Super fast.

Long Island- Nassau County

Even busy N6 is long and crowded ride, it's still fast ride for me.

N72 included.

Express Bus in five boroughs

BxM1/BxM2/BxM10/BxM11: With no traffic, it's fast.

QM15: Fast in Queens.

X17C: Exclusive Bus Lane on SIE made this fast express bus except for Gowanus part.

X25/X90: With no FDR traffic, very first.

The M100 is as slow as molasses. I used to take it from City College to 125 street. It's always crowded, stops at every light, and makes every stop. The X17C crawls in lower Manhattan, the Gowanus, and the Verrazano. It only briefly goes fast on the SIE.

As far as run time goes, the M27/50 arer very fast routes. The run time is 24 minutes from East River to the Hudson River. Also, the M79 run time is quick. Between the Upper East Side and Upper West side, the average run time is between 24 min and 30 minutes. The M42 is slightly longer. The run time is about 26-34 minutes between the 42nd Street Pier and 1st Avenue at 41st Street.(MTA)

Guest Charles

I'm going to put these all on experience off the top of my head...for some routes maybe it was my lucky day I had such a fast bus?

QM16/17-When there's no traffic on Woodhaven...you're in the Rockaways before you know it

X68-Queens Village drivers must think Hillside Avenue is a racetrack

M5-It is pretty fast in Northern Manhattan; don't know about Downtown.

QM21-I agree with Forest Glen. Too bad Queens Blvd is too congested; I do think it needs a bus lane. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Q76-That thing is ridiculously fast on Francis Lewis Blvd, especially in Cunningham Park!!

Q46-After Fresh Meadows, where most of the people get off, it becomes really quick as Union Turnpike sees less traffic.

However, I must disagree with the Q64. Though it's short, there's virtually someone at every stop. Still, I think it could do a roundtrip from Forest Hills to 164 St and back in less than 45 minutes, pending headways. It's that short.

I'm going to put these all on experience off the top of my head...for some routes maybe it was my lucky day I had such a fast bus?

QM16/17-When there's no traffic on Woodhaven...you're in the Rockaways before you know it

QM21-I agree with Forest Glen. Too bad Queens Blvd is too congested; I do think it needs a bus lane. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Q76-That thing is ridiculously fast on Francis Lewis Blvd, especially in Cunningham Park!!

Q46-After Fresh Meadows, where most of the people get off, it becomes really quick as Union Turnpike sees less traffic.

However, I must disagree with the Q64. Though it's short, there's virtually someone at every stop. Still, I think it could do a roundtrip from Forest Hills to 164 St and back in less than 45 minutes, pending headways. It's that short.

Not the one I was on today...

The x68 that was behind the one I was on, PASSED the bus I was on, around Hillside/169th...

When the Q76 has to make most stops (which is usually the case) boy it's slow, except south of Jewel Avenue.

Archived