Via Lexington Av

Whats up Earle..

Happy you like..

As you stated, yes it is a shame that MTH Lost its MTA license, however, I feel that if lionel continues producing subway sets at a price thats totally overwhelming, many people may not place orders to purchase them. Lionel is in it process of concluding their first Lionel subway set; the R-27, with sound and signage for the QT Train; with electronically equipped opening doors.

So far , in the works, MTH still has to finish producing 2 more subway sets that thye're already late on; the BMT Standards, and the R-40 Slants.

New for Early 2008 is the R-142A Cars...

There's a ALP44 with four Comet III passenger cars set from Lionel coming soon that I'm definitely going to get.

You know, interestingly enough, they use to sell a set like that a few years ago when the NJT store, "TransitWorld" I think it was (which use to be once you come down the first set of escalators/stairs from PATH, now its just a newsstand), which was an ALP-44 with a set of Comet 3s or 4s (I think). I always wanted one. I did buy an MCI and a NovaRTS model from them (it was one of those piggybank buses).

A number of years ago. Atlas O produced the NJT ALP44 and Comet 2 equipment. They were slow movers at the time with many pieces available at bargain prices. These items are now very much in demand and typically command premium prices.

Earle

Your right about that Earl. I wanted to purchase the Set ( it came with 3 coaches and the ALP-44 engine). The reason was , that Atlas produced the cars that were 21 Inches long, and would never swing my 0-36 to 0-54 Curves.

Atlas produced a few sets like that:

ALP 44 or AEM-7 in Amtrak / Marc / NJ Transit Logos

all 3 engines had a 3 car matching passenger set.

Atlas also produced a 3 car MTA-Metro North Railroad Set, but no engine.

Hi, Brighton.

I purchased the set which was originally intended for NJT employees. Apparently, production exceeded demand and they became available from Atlas on blowout. My set consists of the 4400 with two coaches and a cab car. I subsequently added an MTA coach to give the train some extra length. I'll use either the 4400 or the K-Line MNCR F-unit to power the train. Additional road numbers for the ALP44 and Comet 2 cars were offered.

There are other motive power possibilities available for the Atlas cars. MTH released an NJT GP40 to simulate one of the ex-CNJ GP40P's. I believe the road numbers MTH used are the 4107 and 4110. Williams also produced a GP38 and an E60. None of these locomotives are easy to find although two of my friends have the E60. Unfortunately, neither is willing to part with it. I saw the E60 at two consecutive York shows when I wasn't looking for it. Of course, now that I want one, I couldn't find it if my life depended on it! Lastly, K-Line catalogued an NJT F40 but never produced it. Two additional NJT items produced by MTH are a PCC and a five car streamlined passenger set with an optional two car add on. These cars represent conventional steam heated equipment similar to the second hand cars NJDOT obtained from Santa Fe, Rock Island and other sources.

Lionel also produced two complete passenger sets with Postwar styled 027 cars and a ballast train utilizing the ore car mold. The first passenger set was equipped with an NW2 and the other two contain a GP38, numbered 4300and 4303 to simulate NJT's GP40-2's. The Lionel items seem to be the easiest NJT items to locate.

There are quite a few NJ Transit items out there. The challenge is to find them. As you mentioned, Atlas also released models decorated for Amtrak, SEPTA and MARC. Comparatively speaking, these are easy to find.

Best Regards,

Earle

Archived