Pre NTT era

Bracamonte

Before these trains boy we had all types. I can go as far back as the "Graffitti Days"!! I rode R17s to present. The R10s were a treat for me because they were extremely old school and i wasnt supposed to ride those beacause those were retired. As a result of the R44/46 truck problems I got to ride those cars. The old trains were great. The only issue was the non-existence of air-conditioning pre-general overhaul. In the winter the trains were comfortably warm. The subway has come a long way. The redbirds and R32 were the best and now lets hope the NTT Trains can follow their examples.

Hm, I remember riding Redbirds on the (7) in the 1990's when I came to NY on vacation. It was pretty cool that lights would go out, but I was like, "damn, this looks old" since I lived in Hong Kong back then and the trains there were like really nice and modern.

Then I moved here permanently before R160's came and I remember enjoying rides on R32's, 40's and 68's on the (N). I loved the heat from under your seat on the 32's and 40's, but I'd sometimes worry that they're gonna burn through my pants. And I liked the 68's too, except I used to think the interior colors are kinda "gay." I remember my first RF trip on R68 2804, from 86th St (or Coney Island... wherever the (N) terminated back then) all the way to Ditmars Boulevard.

...I really wish they didn't put those damn R-160's on the (N). :) Good ol' times.

It was much more fun to joyride the subway than it is now. Pre R142/A era the IRT was awsome with R62's on the (4) and R62A's on the (6) and (3) lines and the redbirds. Used to love riding the R42 on the (J)(M) and (L) lines. And R40 Slants on the (Q) in december and on the (:)/<Q> year around. The tech trains made the subway really boring, I miss the days when the subway was 100% SMEE equipment. What I miss most is riding the redbirds on the (2)/(5) lines in the bronx.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I remember when the E line was still all R32..

I remember back in the day the B via West End, I loved riding the slants and lookin out the rfw (of course!)

-6 Car R40 Slants on weekend (:) Trains via West End; Late 80s, Early 90s

-R68s on the Brighton Local (D)

-Blue Striped R44s on the (A),SIR & R46s

-R40 Slants on the (L)

-Redbirds on the (2)(4)(5)(6)(7)

-Broadway Express Tracks abandoned

-9 car (3) Trains

-4 Car R32 (C) Trains

-4 Car R32 Franklin Av (S) Shuttle Trains

-Does the (G) to 71 Av Full time count? lol

-Miss R62/R62A's on the (5)! Now that I miss seeing!

-The (Q6) with <Q> signs on R68/R68A's; Pre-April 1997

Zach

I still love my NTT's....its showing the upcoming future of the subway cars. Anyway I enjoyed the R-40S on the (N)(Q6)<Q>, Redbirds on the (2)(4)(5)<5>(6)<6>(7)<7>, R-42's (J)(L)(M), R-44's on the (H), R-68's on the yellow (D), (D) via Brighton, (:) via West End

The (L) ran slants for a while too.

I miss the BMT

Myrtle Ave El MJ

Franklin-Brighton-#7

Culver Shuttle

Fulton St El (from Rockaway Ave to Lefferts Blvd

West End T and TT trains

Brighton-Broadway Express (Q) 57th St to Brighton Beach

Jamaica Ave El ( to 168th St )

The pm specials from Pacific St through the Montague tunnel to Chambers St and then via the Manhattan Bridge back to Pacific St

IRT

Bowling Green Shuttle

Third Ave El ( from 149th St to Gun Hill Road )

(3) 9 cars , Lenox to Flatbush *

(2) The Beast, New Lots to 241 St *

(1) 137th St to South Ferry *

<5> Lex Thru Express , Utica to 241 St * Exp 3rd Ave-180St-Gun Hill-241St

* I've operated these lines back in the day

I miss the (K) (AA) locals. Those must have been the fastest locals ever!! As well as the coolest because the cars would either have dimmed lights or half their lights off. Also, the last two cars were usually without lighting and sometimes were locked out because of this. It was cool to ride those cars while they were dark!! The (JFK) express was a radical run. The R10 temporary replacement of R44/46 was fun. Those were also some really fast cars. Motormen back then were much more efficient and just better!!!. Now i hate some "T/O"s that dont have the balls or are just p***ys when driving a train. Herky jerky braking and slow as a turtle driving when all the lights are green and there is no communication of danger ahead now makes the subway slow at times. Ive benn wanting all my life to be a motorman and drive the trains like I grew up with. There just needs to be that feeling of speed and efficiency back into the subway!!! Sorry for slightly deviating but I feel this WAS the subway before NTT!

when you rememeber these things as a kid,you get a fuzzy felling,a felling called "a time when i was a happy kid". when i was only 8 i would LOVE when the redbirds and R62's would runon the (7) line.every time i go up the escalator at woodside, my mind gets opened, up,and once i saw the R62 (7) enter woodside in 2002, I WENT CRAZY! i was like OMG FINALLY A SILVER TRAIN ON THE (7) LINE! i was jealous at the (N) for having "silver cars". its s sad that those happy times wont come again,when the MTA wasnt in dept,when the (Q6) ran the brighton express,when R32's ran on the (N),and especially the year 2000 and 2003. 2000 a year of a new era,and 2002-2003 when the (7) line had R62's and R36's. to bad these things will never come again. NEVER!:cry::cry:

Before NTTs, everything got the job done. I remember when Redbirds ruled the IRT, and we could change the rollsigns on them. When the R142s were put into service, I remembered saying where all the redbirds have gone. Too bad I was too young to understand the NTT's first artwork that depicted a Redbird getting sent into the ocean. (I had thought it was being delivered. :))

Back on B div side, the R32s and R46s were so promiment on Queens Blvd. I could basically tell the line just from the train. Due to the fact that I liked R32s I ended up liking it the (E).

A little bit down the line, I remember my only R40S (Q) ride from Coney Island one night. It was a great experience even though service was just messed up in Brooklyn.

One of my favs from the pre NTT era is the (J)/(Z) lines. ENY had cars that looked, sounded, and maybe performed as if it was older than the R32s. They weren't the best, and the announcements sucked. But it was one of the times where I went to the front for the railfan. With its half width cab config, I was able to meet a T/O would operated with his door open. (Well the T/O started from Jamaica Center with his door opened, but never closed it because I was there) He sure was surprised that I could actually point to different parts of the master controller and tell him that it was a reverser, throttle, etc.

Those were the days...

I miss the BMT

Myrtle Ave El MJ

Franklin-Brighton-#7

Culver Shuttle

Fulton St El (from Rockaway Ave to Lefferts Blvd

West End T and TT trains

Brighton-Broadway Express (Q) 57th St to Brighton Beach

Jamaica Ave El ( to 168th St )

The pm specials from Pacific St through the Montague tunnel to Chambers St and then via the Manhattan Bridge back to Pacific St

IRT

Bowling Green Shuttle

Third Ave El ( from 149th St to Gun Hill Road )

(3) 9 cars , Lenox to Flatbush *

(2) The Beast, New Lots to 241 St *

(1) 137th St to South Ferry *

<5> Lex Thru Express , Utica to 241 St * Exp 3rd Ave-180St-Gun Hill-241St

* I've operated these lines back in the day

I got a thousand memories. (BB) btn 34th & 6th to 168 Wash Hts. No service on exp tracks btn 34th and W4th. (D) to CI via Culver. (F) terminating at Bway Lafayette. R7s and R10s as far as the eye can see. BMT Standards on the Carnarsie. R11s on the 7th Ave. Too many to tell. So I'll share this one memory.

My Granmother lived on Manhattan Ave & Cathedral Pkwy back in the mid 1960s. One day my father and I paid a visit. We lived in Bklyn. Pops always took the local from 110 down to 59th to catch the (A) when we would go home. But this time I convinced him to take the local up to 125. We entered the station on 8th Ave at 111th St (now sealed up). The R7 (CC) had just pulled in and the doors opened. Pops dashed for the train. I had just put my token in (first time ever doing it!) and thought he was gonna leave me. The doors started to close but he was holding them open with his arms stretched out like Superman would keep two trucks from smashing head on. I ran fast as my stump legs could move. The doors closed and we rode on to 125. His arm was around my shoulder. Crossed over and caught an R10 (A) to Bklyn. Will never forget that day.

Hey whats NTT? :confused:

Archived