Chambers Street gets new flooring

ghome

The (1)(2)(3) Chambers Street gets new type of subway flooring.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/02/01/2009-02-01_fate_of_subway_flooring_may_finally_be_l.html

Fate of subway flooring may finally be looking up

BY PETE DONOHUE

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 1:03 AM

There may be glow-in-the-dark flakes on the subway station floors of the future.

NYC Transit is testing a new type of flooring with iridescent flakes that can illustrate routes to exits if the lights go out in an emergency.

"You literally would have a yellow brick road," NYC Transit President Howard Roberts said.

The resin-based material is poured like concrete, allowing flakes to be set in a pattern.

Safety aside, the resinous flooring might conquer an unsightly foe that's defeated many a subway cleaner: gum.

Many subway stations have porous concrete surfaces that are difficult to maintain and deteriorate into gum-spattered eyesores. Some stations have granite floors, which are easier to scour but expensive to install: $1.7 million for an average-sized station.

Resinous flake flooring is easier to maintain and less expensive, about one-third the cost of granite, officials said.

"If this really works [it] gives the ability to essentially do away with the gum problem," Roberts said. "It could make an order of magnitude difference in the appearance of stations."

Some stations have porcelain floors, but NYC Transit has decided to stop installing them, because they are expensive and can crack.

Replacement of individual tiles can result in a mottled patchwork of nonmatching sections, officials said.

NYC Transit's test is taking place at the Chambers St. station where the 1, 2 and 3 trains stop. The material has been placed on the mezzanine to see if it can take relentless pounding from riders.

"Looks beautiful," Leo Jimenez, 36, a hospital worker said as he shuffled through the station.

Can anyone go to Chambers Street and take a pic of the new flooring?

Ironicly i was there today, I happend to be at a H and R block neaqrby and said ima take tha (2)(3) to midtown and i was amazed by how nice the station is comin out kinda reminds me of the new south ferry station ( tha pic of tha station) very impressed ill take pics next week and post them

• 2 weeks later...
ahh. Ok, the reason i didn't see it was i checked the platform, not the Mezzanine.

I had the same reaction you did when I read the title of this thread.... like, what new flooring...

-----------

so it's at the mezzanine level... cool, I suppose...

waiting to see what they're gonna do w/ the rest of the station...

• 2 weeks later...
I stopped at Chambers station on Saturday uhmmm where a bout's is the Mezzanine? I'm guessing where the agent is entering in the station? If so I never saw any new flooring... I videoed the station too...

The level above the platforms.

- A

Archived