the alcohol train rears it's blue and yellow head!

Joe

Waiting at Jamaica today for my train to arrive (the 11:07 AM to Long Beach), not one but two alcohol trains had passed by on track 9. I caught the second one when it made a brief stop. #152 seems to have a nice horn on it, sounds nice.

alcoholtrain2rd5.jpg

alcoholtrainzv2.jpg

Do all of these trains that pass by on track 9 have to stop and proceed, or does the crew simply use this time to take a short break?

Nice catches - I have yet to see that alcohol train in person. What exactly is its purpose? I always thought those were the anti-leaf trains to prevent the M7's from slipping on the rails in the fall...

And you're right about the horn on the MP15AC, it sounds great!

There is the water jet machine, the alcohol train, the rail section train, the crew carrier vehicles, and other stuff you can see if you get the timing right.

This train simply delivers beverages to the stations.

I've seen it before while i was waiting in the freezing cold at jamaica in feb 2007. Was unloading stuff.

I've seen a switch track panel sitting near there too the week before.

- A

Deliver beverages?

The alcohol train is used prior to snowstorms to treat the rail with a brine that prevents ice buildup. Originally they used alcohol, hence the name, but I believe they've sinced upgraded to something more "high tech".

The leaf crusher uses the same mechanism to spray a solution that improves traction between the train wheel and rail.

Deliver beverages?

The alcohol train is used prior to snowstorms to treat the rail with a brine that prevents ice buildup. Originally they used alcohol, hence the name, but I believe they've sinced upgraded to something more "high tech".

The leaf crusher uses the same mechanism to spray a solution that improves traction between the train wheel and rail.

This was a car delivering actual alcohol...... The drinking kind :eek:

- A

This was a car delivering actual alcohol...... The drinking kind :eek:

- A

Not the one pictured, nor does such a train exist.

The only stations where the LIRR itself sells beverages, adult and otherwise, are Penn and Jamaica, but their bar carts are stocked elsewhere and brought down to the platforms; no "booze train" involved.

All other food and beverage services provided at stations are operated by 3rd parties who rent the space.

...":eek:"

Was an older passenger car with blocked up windows, not an M7. They had the cases of beverages carried onto the platform & empty the trash. I didnt see 100% of the consist because i was walking away up the stairs trying to keep warm & honestly i didnt care about what they were doing i just wanted my train to get in all ready.

- A

Archived