What are they going to do with the current entrance to the 1?

jrh5157

What are they going to do with the current entrance to the 1 that is currently in the South Ferry Terminal? It made me wonder because they rennovated that entrance only a few years ago, and now they have the new station, but will be closing down the outer loop, which the entrance inside the terminal leads to. Are they just going to disregard the renovated entrance they made to the outer loop a few years ago and block off the outer loop station? Thanks!

The outer loop will prolly still be used for OOS trains to bypass the new station so it wouldn't have to delay/disrupt regular service. Another use for the loop could be to turn selective Brooklyn bound (2)(3) trains if there's a serious delay (like a derailment) holding up service coming from Brooklyn. Having that loop there is kinda handy for several reasons. It would be wise for them to keep it operational

What are they going to do with the current entrance to the 1 that is currently in the South Ferry Terminal? It made me wonder because they rennovated that entrance only a few years ago, and now they have the new station, but will be closing down the outer loop, which the entrance inside the terminal leads to. Are they just going to disregard the renovated entrance they made to the outer loop a few years ago and block off the outer loop station? Thanks!

The current entrance in the Ferry Terminal will be closed. All customers will need to use one of the three new entrances to the South Ferry Terminal station complex for access to the 1.

Do you think they will keep the turnstiles, info booth, all that stuff? Ill be happy to see the new station active and working, but its going to be so weird to go into the South Ferry Terminal and see the station closed up.

I know somebody mentioned that they might use it for limited service, but its only going to be a matter of time I think before they shut it down completely and just keep the tracks to turn around the trains.

The fare control as it is now will be removed. In case they need to use that one in the future, they will not brick it up. The entrance where the station booth is now will have a rolling steel door or decorative iron gate put over it to keep people out. As for turnstiles i believe they will move the current ones into the actual station when it's deactivated in case they need to use it in emergency or remove completely & bring in the mobile kind for emergency and put them back there instead.

The station booth will likely be either left there and closed up or dismantled.

If it's dismantled the equipment in the booth will be stored as parts for repair of other booths. If it's boarded up or blocked off it'll be left as is just power disconnected.

I heard all of this from contractors working on the job down there over last summer.

- A

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised they didn't find a way to work the current entrance into the new terminal. It does sound like a real waste to fence it off and let it rot when it's only been open and in service since 2002ish. IIRC, it had been a huge deal when that entrance opened because the (1) was finally open south of Chambers Street again after 9/11.

The fare control as it is now will be removed. In case they need to use that one in the future, they will not brick it up. The entrance where the station booth is now will have a rolling steel door or decorative iron gate put over it to keep people out. As for turnstiles i believe they will move the current ones into the actual station when it's deactivated in case they need to use it in emergency or remove completely & bring in the mobile kind for emergency and put them back there instead.

The station booth will likely be either left there and closed up or dismantled.

If it's dismantled the equipment in the booth will be stored as parts for repair of other booths. If it's boarded up or blocked off it'll be left as is just power disconnected.

I heard all of this from contractors working on the job down there over last summer.

- A

IMO, they should take the space and use it in some other way. In a better economy, they should lease the space.

It would have ben nice to re-open cortlandt st before this, but hey, at least the (1) can get to south ferry after the whole tunnel & station were basically taken away. The (1) connects staten island to manhattan to the bronx. Will be nice when the ride through the WTC site isn't bumpy as hell.

- A

It would have ben nice to re-open cortlandt st before this, but hey, at least the (1) can get to south ferry after the whole tunnel & station were basically taken away. The (1) connects staten island to manhattan to the bronx. Will be nice when the ride through the WTC site isn't bumpy as hell.

- A

Wait till 2011 or later for that... they have to redevelop the site first.

That's 6 year old track. How new would you like it?

It's not the age that concerns me, it's the fact that where the old tunnel and especially station were removed then rebuilt has uneven bumpy track. It's a reminder i don't need while i see light from the outside coming through the paneling. Lost some friends there, so to me it's akin to, yes riding the subway through where there was a tragedy, but, like a cemetery. I'd rather not know where the transition is so i can just do whatever i'm doing to/from SF.

I'm sure you can understand.

- A

It would be better to keep the Outer loop open and have the (5) run down there, while Late Nights(maybe RH when (5) goes to bklyn) a (S) runs i guess, just like the 70s. That way customers of the east/west side can transfer between them at the SF, instead of going Fulton, or 42nd Street(via (S)(7)) for service..

Archived