South 4th St Station (10 Full Sized Pics)

TeeLow

I've heard alot about S 4th St and the IND 2nd System but never seen any actual pics. These are possibly reposts but even if they are there's been a lot of new members joined since they were last posted. It's a thrill to see these skeleton pics of what could've been if not for the 1929 Stock Market Crash. Time to journey back in time about 80 years. Hope you like them

34t4t1d.jpg

v62d1s.jpg

14kw2lw.jpg

10gn4sj.jpg

seu1y1.jpg

160s9e8.jpg

2vb2cd1.jpg

24fit1e.jpg

f0dzt5.jpg

wueyrn.jpg

oirifp.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/1929_IND_Second_System.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

There's alot more info here and the spot where I got these 10 pics has 11 more.

Hmmmmm....... Tunnel would be very tricky there. Mostly sediment, so TBM is out & strong currents, so submerged sectional would be difficult. Also high marine traffic area.

I would love for those system expansions to be built, except have it over the bridge. Put the tracks above the upper deck. Under wouldn't work because some ships BARELY clear it as it is now. Over the side wouldn't work either because the structure wasn't designed to have heavy stuff cantilevered out.

- A

So the narrows bridge could have rail.... Epic find.

- A

Thanks!

Where did you find those pics, I know I posted some a while back. After a while all pics of that station look the same.

I got them from here

The link is also in the first post. Maaaan...I look at that map and think how great the system would be if we had all those additions today. I can almost imagine taking a train from Kings Plaza to dang near my front door!

Hmmmmm....... Tunnel would be very tricky there. Mostly sediment, so TBM is out & strong currents, so submerged sectional would be difficult. Also high marine traffic area.

I would love for those system expansions to be built, except have it over the bridge. Put the tracks above the upper deck. Under wouldn't work because some ships BARELY clear it as it is now. Over the side wouldn't work either because the structure wasn't designed to have heavy stuff cantilevered out.

- A

Tunnel would cost too much for sure.

Where would the tracks go once they crossed the bridge?

What do you mean?

BTW, Nice finds Teelow!

Thanks R160.

I'm wondering the same thing. The style of IND? How are they indirect???

Seeing those pictures again really makes me want to call the MTA's special events coordinator and get myself a tour. I wish the second system was completed, but at the same time I have to think that if it was we wouldn't think anything special of it.

Seeing those pictures again really makes me want to call the MTA's special events coordinator and get myself a tour. I wish the second system was completed, but at the same time I have to think that if it was we wouldn't think anything special of it.

Calling the MTA won't get you in to S4th Street.

1. Are these tunnels still there today?

2. If so are they connected to the rest of the system?

3. If they are connected and in good shape, could they be used?

If all of the above are answered in the affirmative, this could be a new sight for the transit museum so to display all of the equipment and even more displays with the larger mezznaine area availible IMO. Anybody on board?(NYCT)

Top secret my ass. It's really easy to find and apparently get into.

Oh I know it's not sectret, I'm just not going to tell people how to get into a place they should not be. Also getting to this area requiers walking on the bench wall for several feet and climbing a ladder which is not in the best condition. I would hate it for some one to gt back there and get hurt or killed then then have the (MTA) seal it up to keep people from getting back there.

• 1 year later...

Archived