Colombus Circle Station

Lefferts Blvd X

Ok so the other day I was at 59th Street waiting for the (A) and I noticed that the center platform there was being rennovated. They were placing new tiles on the floors, and I even noticed a new set of stairs. So my question is that is it possible that the (MTA) could be using this platform for passenger service or is it jus part of the entire station's rehab? And what was that platforms past use?

The center platform is going to be used like a transfer passage for the (1), I believe. Before being abandoned the platform was used for express trains that would open up the doors on both sides to allow easy transfers, but when newer trains arrived where the conductor's controls were in the train this practice was discontinued due to the conductor being unable to see and close both sides without walking between cars to the other cab and thus the center platform was abandoned.

The center platform is going to be used like a transfer passage for the (1), I believe. Before being abandoned the platform was used for express trains that would open up the doors on both sides to allow easy transfers, but when newer trains arrived where the conductor's controls were in the train this practice was discontinued due to the conductor being unable to see and close both sides without walking between cars to the other cab and thus the center platform was abandoned.

Correct. The station renovation should include fare controlled entrance to whole foods for easier access for shoppers.

- A

Guest Charles

There's the Time Warner Center, the Shops at Columbus Circle, etc.

Considering it's the Upper West Side, many flagship stores are located here. However, you also have your typical middle-class businesses like banks, Starbucks, cafes, etc.

Both sides would open, they would close one side, then the other.

- A

I think they should open side facing the center platform to let people off (the center platform should be exit only) and open the doors for the side platform to let people on. This way you people can leave the train and enter the train at the same time

I think they should open side facing the center platform to let people off (the center platform should be exit only) and open the doors for the side platform to let people on. This way you people can leave the train and enter the train at the same time

I think they should open on both either way, because if you wanna make a u-turn or get on local train you simply look out to see which way to go vs get off go up stairs down stairs get on.

- A

Conductor need to walk between two trains in which are newer and have the whole cab?

Also I've seen some big rats over at the abandoned platform.

Conductor need to walk between two trains in which are newer and have the whole cab?

Also I've seen some big rats over at the abandoned platform.

But in the newer cars, there is a door enabler (R40-44, R68-R160) so how is that going to work out?

Also the rats are still there

On the IRT platform I am happy to see the remnants of the of the 1960's and 1970's tile covered up. When the (NYCT) added tile in the 1960-70's (either new stations or extended platforms), it was bland and ugly tile. It is now being covered up with new IRT like design. I'm glad to see the station being restored to its original glory from 1904.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Archived