Those who passed Conductor Exam #8094

JKid84

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was your list number on C/R exam?. I'm glad to see you wanna get into the job at a early but, Just know we have a 25/55 pension tier. Which means you have to work at least 25 years and be 55 years old to retire. so your looking at a 37 year long stretch before you meet the minimum requirements to retire. Also have you had any jobs? Because they may still want you to have some work experience to be hired. So if you haven't worked any job yet, I suggest you get one. I started working for transit at the age of 26, so I have to work 29 years before I can retire. I've already done 4 years, 25 more to go.

it might be more than that if you end up in tier 5.

• 2 weeks later...
How Does The Current MTA Situation Effect Us??

They Are Gonna Lay Off People Which Means That Wont Need Anyone New

If They Re Hire They Are Gonna Re Hire The Laid Off Former Workers

Is This Gonna mess us up?

RTO Operating Personel will be the LAST ones affected by any changes..

Surface im not too sure.

RTO Man

These cuts by the mta will affect everyone don't you think? They will be cutting 2 subway lines which means they will be hiring less conductors. They also will be hiring less train operators so yes this will affect RTO Operating Employees.

How much slower do you think the list will go down?

If someone retires do you really think they will hire new guys when they have a 400 million dollar shortfall? If the MTA can get away without replacing someone they will. They are very cuthroat . Don't mean to be gloomy but the hiring will be slow. Maybe we should all look for something else. They are only up to 69 on the promotional out of 445 names not good guys.

If someone retires do you really think they will hire new guys when they have a 400 million dollar shortfall? If the MTA can get away without replacing someone they will. They are very cuthroat . Don't mean to be gloomy but the hiring will be slow. Maybe we should all look for something else. They are only up to 69 on the promotional out of 445 names not good guys.

If that's the approach they take, they're going to be paying overtime to all their current employees to work more which is more expensive than hiring new workers. Particulary for C/R's since many of those earning overtime will have 3+ years and will therefore have the full pay rate, where as if they hire new C/R's they start at a much lower rate and that would also mean paying less O/T since they'd have more to do the job.

Subway Guy,

When you cut 2 train lines and increase the wait times for other trains this translates into less people needed to perform the work. Even though you are in the top 100 it could take 2 years for you to be hired. Anyone above 200 will have a long long wait if they ever get called. I think we should all continue our lives and not pay so much attention or even expect to be hired. Maybe there are better opportunities out there. Don't mean to discourage people but I am just trying to be real and sensible.

Subway Guy,

When you cut 2 train lines and increase the wait times for other trains this translates into less people needed to perform the work. Even though you are in the top 100 it could take 2 years for you to be hired. Anyone above 200 will have a long long wait if they ever get called. I think we should all continue our lives and not pay so much attention or even expect to be hired. Maybe there are better opportunities out there. Don't mean to discourage people but I am just trying to be real and sensible.

Thats how I've been treating it to begin with. I'm not worried. I got a job that is paying the bills.

Exactly no one should ever expect to be hired. Expect the worst because they can have an extensive hiring freeze . Also remember the 1 in 3 rule for civil service just because you get called does not mean you get hired . They can turn you away for no reason. Please people keep your minds open and look around.

Subway Guy,

It will take however long it takes. All the Speculation in this thread does nothing to move the list further.

There is too much uncertainty with city or state employment these days. Its not like it used to be . They used to be invincible so secure and great benefits. It seems like now its becoming just like the private sector. I don't see it as great as people say it is anymore. The place you want to be is accounting. There is always a need in that field. It is very in demand and always will be. I suggest people go out and put some work in and get an accounting degree.

There is too much uncertainty with city or state employment these days. Its not like it used to be . They used to be invincible so secure and great benefits. It seems like now its becoming just like the private sector. I don't see it as great as people say it is anymore. The place you want to be is accounting. There is always a need in that field. It is very in demand and always will be. I suggest people go out and put some work in and get an accounting degree.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Absolutely NOT!!! Unless you like no overtime pay, fired at any time for any reason, and working long hours with NO compensation whatsoever!!!

Accounting is a HORRIBLE job, it's only promoted as a "growth field" Because so many people who work in it want to LEAVE and need to be replaced!

Accounting = come in at 9am, leave at 8pm or later, fairly consistently. Get paid the same wheter you leave at 5pm, 8pm, or 2am the following day.

If that's the approach they take, they're going to be paying overtime to all their current employees to work more which is more expensive than hiring new workers. Particulary for C/R's since many of those earning overtime will have 3+ years and will therefore have the full pay rate, where as if they hire new C/R's they start at a much lower rate and that would also mean paying less O/T since they'd have more to do the job.

i have to disagree with you because RTO has plenty of people on the extra-extra list. so the few people that do retire jobs will becovered and not at a overtime rate. also a class of new conductors came out a few weeks ago so i'm sure they will fill the jobs of the newly retired at the lower rate.

Subway Guy,

i have to agree a lot of people here are making themselves crazy over a job they dont have and might not even get. there is a reason these list are so long. most dont make the hiring process or the training. when you take one of these test, the best advice is take it and forget it. i had forgot i took the test when i got called.

Exactly . They will not be hiring a lot of conductors . Plus with the new contract that goes into effect January there will probaly be less retirements because people want to work more to increase their pension checks . I guess we should all look into something else with a little more stability.

RTO Man

These cuts by the mta will affect everyone don't you think? They will be cutting 2 subway lines which means they will be hiring less conductors. They also will be hiring less train operators so yes this will affect RTO Operating Employees.

He was talking in the terms of layoffs...

Thats how i see it.

They "could" be cutting two lines (and one of them isnt a line @ all ) if you ask me....

Exactly no one should ever expect to be hired. Expect the worst because they can have an extensive hiring freeze . Also remember the 1 in 3 rule for civil service just because you get called does not mean you get hired . They can turn you away for no reason. Please people keep your minds open and look around.

Agree!!!:tup:

Don't be so negative JR, I hate to see you speak like this. Things always get worst just before they get better. The (MTA) has been playing this shell game for years whenever we are suppose to get a new contract. once we get our reward and the economy picks up some more they will find millions in surplus they didn't know they had. Also if they want raise money and save money they should implement zone pricing like other city subway systems do and give up on the 2nd avenue line for good and other capital projects we don't need right now. And cut the fat from up top, and take away their $60,000 a year housing stipends as well.

I was taught to avoid expecting ANYTHING in life, because expectations are nothing more premeditated resentments. I think everyone here knows that now that the list has been established, it's nothing more than a waiting game that NO ONE on the list has control over, and simply going about normal day-to-day routines is the only way to ensure that the wait, however long it may be, goes by as quickly and smoothly as possible.

FYI: my mother has been an accountant for more than 30 years, and the work ranges from mind-numbingly boring to mind-crushingly busy. She's a manager at her firm and works massive hours in the winter, seven days of 10+ hours, at home and in the office. She takes compensatory time in lieu of salary and gets every Friday off between Memorial and Labor Days, and one full week off a month. But's it's just like any other job - peaks and valleys, fast and slow, with pros and cons, drawbacks and benefits.

Over 1 out of every 10 people on your street and block is without a job. Anyone with one right now is very fortunate, and we're all aware of that. Just try to wait, and if you're called, it'll probably be the day after you forgot all about the list. ;)

Archived