Those who passed Conductor Exam #8094

JKid84

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI: my mother has been an accountant for more than 30 years, and the work ranges from mind-numbingly boring to mind-crushingly busy. She's a manager at her firm and works massive hours in the winter, seven days of 10+ hours, at home and in the office. She takes compensatory time in lieu of salary and gets every Friday off between Memorial and Labor Days, and one full week off a month. But's it's just like any other job - peaks and valleys, fast and slow, with pros and cons, drawbacks and benefits.

Excellent post. I have been working in that field for the last 1+ years and it is horrible. There is a reason I want out. In "Public accounting":

-Over the course of the year, on an average of one out of every three days, you have to stay late at work. You am not compensated for this time in any way, receiving only your normal salary.

-The work is very much mind numbingly boring. You stare at a computer all day and work on spreadsheets. Those at the bottom do 90% of the work...those at the top spend most of their time in meetings, "planning", or "supervising". They also enjoy much more scheduling flexibility. Those at the bottom do the vast majority of the work.

-You can be told to travel, anytime, anywhere "because they say so." You can fight it but you'll likely lose. Doesn't matter what your plans are. Know someone sent to Wisconsin for a month...no say on it what so ever...

-2 to 3 weeks a year there are no limits on how much you will work. For some people it's more than this. You can come in at 9am, work until 5am the following day, and be told to come right back in at 9am the following day. During these weeks, you will come in at 9am and you will not leave before midnight. Again, none of this time earns you ANY additional money above your usual salary. During these weeks, you can expect to work 80-120 hours. You will not sleep much, and you will feel like hell at work.

-You can be told to work weekends. You are not paid anything for this time over and above your usual salary. You also do not getting an extra vacation day (or an "AVA day") for working on your day off. You get, literally, NOTHING for working on the weekend. If you refuse to work the weekend, it will be noted on your file and that increases the chances you will get fired.

-I know of someone who had to work 27 consecutive calendar days.

-I know of three people who were told in November "yeah, you can pretty much forget about weekends for the next 3 months"

Additionally, the people are shallow, pretentious, and have little to no personality. So you're going to spend all this time around these people and odds are you won't even LIKE them. Many will try and get you to do them "favors" like helping them with personal errands or other assignments when you are already overscheduled when it is...they never return the favor. And if you don't know how to say "no" you will wind up buried in work faster than you can say "I quit." I've seen it happen to many...

And that's public accounting. Many leave to work for specific private companies rather than public firms. However, the hours are the same, they are just much more spaced out. So instead of 80-120 hour weeks, you have consistent 50 hour weeks - and you are never paid for the 10 extra hours a week.

Oh, and lunch and dinner don't count as time worked "on the clock", so if you are told to work 10 hours and you come in at 9am, you will NOT leave by 7pm. If you take an hour lunch and an hour dinner, you leave at 9pm. Half an hour for each, you leave at 8pm, so factor that in to "unpaid time" as well...

But don't believe me, run a search on it if you think you're interested. Type in "public accounting sucks" into google, or go to jobvent and see what people are saying about big accounting "firms." Sometimes the negative comments tell you more about making an informed decision. The MTA employees here share stories about the bad side of working for TA, but several here still say they like their jobs. You have to take the good with the bad, but you have to be able to take the bad to begin with. Accounting IMO has a hell of a lot more bad, and almost no good, other than the pay which I'd call "decent" not good.

yes but if you work for the city as an accountant the hours are more stable. My friend is an accountant for NYC Transit and she works 9-5 mon-fri. and gets paid very well plus its very laid back.

Well if that's truly the way you feel then go ahead and give it a shot, but most find the nature of the work mind numbingly boring, and almost every accounting job says the hours are better than they actually are.

now i know why they dont like picking up the phone downtown;)

seriously..... is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? .................... poor mrs. chestnut. ;)

seriously..... is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? is there a hiring freeze? .................... poor mrs. chestnut. ;)
I think you forget another one..is there a hiring freeze? :cool::)

i took this test and received a score of 98.6 and a list number of 337, i also applied very late i think it goes by ssn. also strangely enough when i took home my answers and compared them to the ones online i came up with 2 wrong but my official results only says one. is there any idea how long it will take to get called??

and also i took the t/o exam back in the summer, any idea when the results will be out for that?

i took this test and received a score of 98.6 and a list number of 337, i also applied very late i think it goes by ssn. also strangely enough when i took home my answers and compared them to the ones online i came up with 2 wrong but my official results only says one. is there any idea how long it will take to get called??

and also i took the t/o exam back in the summer, any idea when the results will be out for that?

You'll get called when you get called. With this recent hiring freeze any previous rough estimates go out the window.

Well according to someone who would know, none of the upcoming conductor classes has been cancelled as of yet so it seems things continue to move along with the C/R lists...

Just throwing that out there...

I just seen the news, they did not mention any lay-offs. so hopefully......

Well according to someone who would know, none of the upcoming conductor classes has been cancelled as of yet so it seems things continue to move along with the C/R lists...

Just throwing that out there...

Yeah but all those classes are for promotional people only not open and competitive. The hiring freeze does not effect people who already work for the agency only people coming from off the streets. And since they haven't even called one O/C person yet it may very well effect the time frame in which you or some one else on the o/c list gets called.

Excellent post. I have been working in that field for the last 1+ years and it is horrible. There is a reason I want out. In "Public accounting":

-Over the course of the year, on an average of one out of every three days, you have to stay late at work. You am not compensated for this time in any way, receiving only your normal salary.

-The work is very much mind numbingly boring. You stare at a computer all day and work on spreadsheets. Those at the bottom do 90% of the work...those at the top spend most of their time in meetings, "planning", or "supervising". They also enjoy much more scheduling flexibility. Those at the bottom do the vast majority of the work.

-You can be told to travel, anytime, anywhere "because they say so." You can fight it but you'll likely lose. Doesn't matter what your plans are. Know someone sent to Wisconsin for a month...no say on it what so ever...

-2 to 3 weeks a year there are no limits on how much you will work. For some people it's more than this. You can come in at 9am, work until 5am the following day, and be told to come right back in at 9am the following day. During these weeks, you will come in at 9am and you will not leave before midnight. Again, none of this time earns you ANY additional money above your usual salary. During these weeks, you can expect to work 80-120 hours. You will not sleep much, and you will feel like hell at work.

-You can be told to work weekends. You are not paid anything for this time over and above your usual salary. You also do not getting an extra vacation day (or an "AVA day") for working on your day off. You get, literally, NOTHING for working on the weekend. If you refuse to work the weekend, it will be noted on your file and that increases the chances you will get fired.

-I know of someone who had to work 27 consecutive calendar days.

-I know of three people who were told in November "yeah, you can pretty much forget about weekends for the next 3 months"...............

You know, Guy, I was just explaining some of that to someone last week and why it's largely why I wouldn't even consider going to into accounting, or even law for that matter where these similar hours apply. This person was telling me how "9 to 5 is from another time" and that they work all that "overtime" because they love what they do and are devoted to it even without additional salary. I said how he couldn't be more wrong, and how so many people seem absolutely miserable and are putting in all that time in "hopes" that they eventually be making six-figures and have cherry-wood paneled offices etc. and possibly be made a "partner" at the firm. Also tried to tell me how they couldn't possibly be "forced" to work overtime or on weekends without additional pay if they didn't want to. Seems a lot of people are quite clueless about what goes on in all those buildings. :confused:

I realize that there are problems with the TA also, but I do believe in getting paid for you do, having two days off, not being forced to work more than a certain amount of consecutive hours, etc.

You know, Guy, I was just explaining some of that to someone last week and why it's largely why I wouldn't even consider going to into accounting, or even law for that matter where these similar hours apply. This person was telling me how "9 to 5 is from another time" and that they work all that "overtime" because they love what they do and are devoted to it even without additional salary. I said how he couldn't be more wrong, and how so many people seem absolutely miserable and are putting in all that time in "hopes" that they eventually be making six-figures and have cherry-wood paneled offices etc. and possibly be made a "partner" at the firm. Also tried to tell me how they couldn't possibly be "forced" to work overtime or on weekends without additional pay if they didn't want to. Seems a lot of people are quite clueless about what goes on in all those buildings. :confused:

I realize that there are problems with the TA also, but I do believe in getting paid for you do, having two days off, not being forced to work more than a certain amount of consecutive hours, etc.

EXCELLENT post and you are spot on. The people that spout this garbage care only about money. The people are extremely shallow in these jobs, and they will sell you out. They say they aren't "forced" to work those hours because it sounds better, but they really are. I do not know a single person who enjoys staying late. However, I do know plenty who try to justify it as "not that bad" by using stupid reasons like "they pay for my dinner when I work more than 10 hours"

Now as for the "hiring freeze" comments, I'm just going to say this and it's my personal opinion on the matter. Things are moving along and until I hear otherwise from a reputable source involved with schoolcar or C/R hiring (since this is the C/R thread not the B/O thread) I will continue to assume things are moving along as scheduled. And no, a news media story talking about a freeze is not a reputable source, since if you believe everything the media tells you, you still think that the conductor is the one "driving" the train...and that's that. I understand the position of the employees here because they don't want to encourage people to put all their eggs in one basket, but I really think it's too early to start saying classes are going to get cancelled and years are going to be added to people's wait times. When something comes up that would make that true, then it's newsworthy but right now it is all speculation and much like the "car assignments and moves" discussions, "I'll believe it when I see it"

Archived