Those who passed Conductor Exam #8094

JKid84

Lex,

you do have a twisted mind. There is not a chance in hell of you being called for TO for at least another 5-6 years.

in 5-6 years (June 2015) i will have 10 years at the post office, and eligible to collect a tiny pension. should also allow enough time for the dust to clear from all this layoff talk. i'd hate to go to the (MTA) and get laid off. this might turn out well after all

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't act like a skell.

Like I said.. one poster says one thing, one poster says another ... looks like there are some gaps in the information here and there. Happens all the time and not just on these boards. Not exactly counting down the days til I get called, but if there's talk about how the list is coming along ... why not at least get it straight? Unfortunately there are some people who are way too quick to get offended when anyone asks to merely elaborate or clarify something. I even said I'm not discounting anyone, just asking. But oh well, guess even that ain't allowed. :tdown:

thats your opinion. i prefer to drive myself crazy trying to determine if the (MTA) is going to use stimulus money to plug their deficit, if the federal government is going to bail out state governments with what i believe was $154 billion in their upcoming "jobs bill", if the aforementioned "jobs bill" will create enough jobs for the current (MTA) employees to begin retiring in massive numbers as expected, if the (MTA) will really be scrutinized under this new statewide commission to make sure they're not cooking the books, if Local 100 can get through this tough time without having to give up their pay and/or benefits for the unborn, and if the (MTA) will finally be properly funded on a permanent basis by the state.

but hey if that doesnt work out i still got the post office (52k/yr, $46 a paycheck to healthcare, and 37% of base salary pension at age 57 + 1.5% for every year after that, breaks every 2 hours, having fixed hours and fixed days off, NO mandatory overtime (maybe in December but not lately with the enormous drop in mail volume), my no-layoff clause, 25% Sunday premium on top of 10% night differential, employer matched 401(k)-style retirement savings plan (Thrift Savings Plan), life and dental insurance, absolutely NO responsibility like a T/O and NO dangers like 3rd rails, steeldust, rats, and no access to bathrooms). what else are we supposed to talk about for the next 5 years? :cool:

Not to negate anyone's "sources", but didn't a TSS on here that works with schoolcar say not so long ago that there was still a full calendar of C/R classes for 2010? It wouldn't surprise me if less are hired, but they can't suspend hiring indefinitely.

Yup, I did. But as the saying goes, Stuff happens.The next few classes have been temporarily canceled while internal problems are worked out and new Work Programs developed for the service changes.

thats your opinion. i prefer to drive myself crazy trying to determine if the (MTA) is going to use stimulus money to plug their deficit, if the federal government is going to bail out state governments with what i believe was $154 billion in their upcoming "jobs bill", if the aforementioned "jobs bill" will create enough jobs for the current (MTA) employees to begin retiring in massive numbers as expected, if the (MTA) will really be scrutinized under this new statewide commission to make sure they're not cooking the books, if Local 100 can get through this tough time without having to give up their pay and/or benefits for the unborn, and if the (MTA) will finally be properly funded on a permanent basis by the state.

but hey if that doesnt work out i still got the post office (52k/yr, $46 a paycheck to healthcare, and 37% of base salary pension at age 57 + 1.5% for every year after that, breaks every 2 hours, having fixed hours and fixed days off, NO mandatory overtime (maybe in December but not lately with the enormous drop in mail volume), my no-layoff clause, 25% Sunday premium on top of 10% night differential, employer matched 401(k)-style retirement savings plan (Thrift Savings Plan), life and dental insurance, absolutely NO responsibility like a T/O and NO dangers like 3rd rails, steeldust, rats, and no access to bathrooms). what else are we supposed to talk about for the next 5 years? :cool:

So Why Take The MTA Test And Routinely Wonder About Your Status If Your Already Set?

Thats A Significant Financial Change Once U Become Accustom To Making A Certain Amount
Sometimes doing something that makes you happy is better than what pays you better. I'm certain SubwayGuy would rather work for the MTA than continue working as an accountant even though he would get paid more by staying.

Sometimes doing something that makes you happy is better than what pays you better. I'm certain SubwayGuy would rather work for the MTA than continue working as an accountant even though he would get paid more by staying.

I agree, I just started a 70+ a year job so i'm trying to weigh the options now.

and i'm not trying to brag, i'm lucky considering these horrible times.

Correct.

The sooner you realize it the better.

If you don't, there's something called a midlife crisis when one day you wake up, look in the mirror, and realize that you have subjected yourself to being miserable for close to 20 years.

Chase the money and you will wind up disappointed.

Chase something you want and do a good job, and someday the money will follow.

Correct.

The sooner you realize it the better.

If you don't, there's something called a midlife crisis when one day you wake up, look in the mirror, and realize that you have subjected yourself to being miserable for close to 20 years.

Chase the money and you will wind up disappointed.

Chase something you want and do a good job, and someday the money will follow.

Well said my friend!!

So Why Take The MTA Test And Routinely Wonder About Your Status If Your Already Set?

i will be making more as a T/O (56k to start) than a mail handler (52k top). healthcare keeps going up at the post office but at the (MTA) they JUST started paying for healthcare and looks like that 1.5% is as high as local 100 is gonna let it go. retirement is at age 55 but at the post office i wont get 50% of my base unless i stay until im 65 and i wont be allowed to use overtime to calculate my pension, so that pretty much wipes out the whole "employer matched savings plan" at the post office. i never use my dental, and as for life insurance im 24 and unmarried. not to say that im "not using my life insurance" but the beneficiary is my mom and she's supported by my dad anyway. and yeah, i much rather spend my life operating a train (especially now that i cant enjoy any railfan windows now) than moving mail. and believe it or not, the (MTA) is PROBABLY safer in the long run than the post office in terms of job security. ridership generally goes up (its down a tiny bit now but when unemployment subsides the trains will be packed again), while mail volume (thanks to the internet and machines doing all the sorting now) goes down. i will miss the lax work environment but it does put me to sleep sometimes lol

i will be making more as a T/O (56k to start) than a mail handler (52k top). healthcare keeps going up at the post office but at the (MTA) they JUST started paying for healthcare and looks like that 1.5% is as high as local 100 is gonna let it go. retirement is at age 55 but at the post office i wont get 50% of my base unless i stay until im 65 and i wont be allowed to use overtime to calculate my pension, so that pretty much wipes out the whole "employer matched savings plan" at the post office. i never use my dental, and as for life insurance im 24 and unmarried. not to say that im "not using my life insurance" but the beneficiary is my mom and she's supported by my dad anyway. and yeah, i much rather spend my life operating a train (especially now that i cant enjoy any railfan windows now) than moving mail. and believe it or not, the (MTA) is PROBABLY safer in the long run than the post office in terms of job security. ridership generally goes up (its down a tiny bit now but when unemployment subsides the trains will be packed again), while mail volume (thanks to the internet and machines doing all the sorting now) goes down. i will miss the lax work environment but it does put me to sleep sometimes lol

Why explain yourself? It's your life to lead whatever way you want to lead it.

Yup, I did. But as the saying goes, Stuff happens.The next few classes have been temporarily canceled while internal problems are worked out and new Work Programs developed for the service changes.

When are the service changes supposed to take effect if passed? May or September? (that's what the LIRR is doing-May for minor changes, Sept for major changes)

• 2 weeks later...
How are the chances for conductor to motorman. Do they have preference when they take the exam. Is it a promotion exam? Very knew to all this. thanks

It is a promotional exam and as long as you have over 70% of your total sick days for your career you will get the promotion if you pass the test. The test is given about every 4 years.

How are the chances for conductor to motorman. Do they have preference when they take the exam. Is it a promotion exam? Very knew to all this. thanks

what your saying is from a train conductor to a train oparator/motorman to be a train motorman u have to take a test here`s an example let`s say ur a train conductor and u wanna be a train oparator u gotta take a promotion exam. promotion exam is only open to city employees when u apply for a city test if it says prom. or something like that it`s a promtion exam to city employees only. you want open competative exam that`s open to every one if you look at every city test title what every u wanna take remember when u apply for it make sure it does not say prom. if it`s open competative then u can apply for it but make sure u read the quailfacations on every exam if u quailfy then take it if u have any more questions i`ll do my best to answer any question u have

in other words...............

promotional exams are for employees who want to promote to another title in the agency that they already work for. such as conductor promoting to train operator within transit. it's not open to ALL city employees, only employees of the agency that is offering the promotional.

open competitive exams are given to the public for an entry level position into a certain agency.

obviously promotionals have precedence over people who do not already belong to the agency, hence why the promotional list has priority over open competitive. :tup:

I just read this article in the March 2010 edition of the DC-37 Public Employee Press (PEP).

City sets new policy on civil service lists

The Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services recently began notifying members of their position on civil service lists before officially establishing the lists.

“This change gives our members the time to appeal a disqualification before a list is established, so that they do not lose an opportunity to get appointed,” said Associate Director Evelyn Seinfeld of the DC 37 Research and Negotiations Dept. In the past, members only learned they had been disqualified when a list was officially established. By the time they could appeal and get an answer, an agency could have already made appointments from the list.

Here is the link, third section from the top:

http://www.dc37.net/news/PEP/3_2010/MTAraises.html

That having been stated, I apologize to Mr. Primomjr78 for publicly doubting and disputing this issue with him earlier within this thread, and also to the forum members for using a dated policy and procedure that may have been misleading and/or confusing to the readers and those who have waited and continue to wait for their call. I wasn't aware of the recent DCAS changes - Primo was. At least someone had the right information to present to everyone.

Archived