Those who passed Conductor Exam #8094

JKid84

Anyhow just to recap a few things I haven't been keeping up with.

1. The MTA didn't get a penny from our state or federal government (or china) to help slash a 800 million budget deficit.

2. The V and W lines are gone for good from the subway transit system.

3. No one has been called up for Conductor since an april class from the promotional list.

4. The OC list wont likely be established this coming October as was expected.

5. The MTA laid off a few hundred workers including station agents this summer.

6. The (practically marketed) mass exodus of TO's and conductors didn't retire or get promoted like was expected back in 08.

7. At least in my neighborhood Ive noticed the MTA has even trimmed down the bus schedule.

Is this still where we stand? :( :cry:

Sometimes I wonder if this corporation REALLY doesn't make any money at all.

Hell I'm starting to look at the Track worker positions being posted for Metro North and LIRR.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would a tiebreaker be done if say 2 people have the same identical last 5 SS# numbers? unlikely yes, but not impossible. I wish they used a better tie breaking system because on some lists they have well over 1,000 names with the same score and that could very well mean the difference between getting hired or not.

How would a tiebreaker be done if say 2 people have the same identical last 5 SS# numbers? unlikely yes, but not impossible. I wish they used a better tie breaking system because on some lists they have well over 1,000 names with the same score and that could very well mean the difference between getting hired or not.

A random number is used also in conjunction with the last 5. I'm not sure of the specifics of how that is done though.

Even though I filed very late, I find filing date is the fairest way to make the list. They just need to keep proper records of when they process applications. It's not like you get to choose what social security the government issues to you.

True but what happens in the following case:

Person 1 files electronically on a Sunday, the third date of the filling period. His filing is recorded as of Sunday.

Person 2 walks over to the post office 5 minutes before Person 1 wakes up on the same Sunday, and drops his filing in a mailbox. There is no pickup until Monday morning. Therefore his filing is postmarked Monday, and arrives Thursday.

Under filing date, Person 1 would have the tiebreaker over Person 2 even though in real world events, Person 2 filed first.

True but what happens in the following case:

Person 1 files electronically on a Sunday, the third date of the filling period. His filing is recorded as of Sunday.

Person 2 walks over to the post office 5 minutes before Person 1 wakes up on the same Sunday, and drops his filing in a mailbox. There is no pickup until Monday morning. Therefore his filing is postmarked Monday, and arrives Thursday.

Under filing date, Person 1 would have the tiebreaker over Person 2 even though in real world events, Person 2 filed first.

Well that all sounds perfectly fair to me, doesn't it to you? Electronically sending stuff is simply...... faster, but that Isn't the MTA's fault. Mind you that if this was the method used my list number should have been alot lower because I believe I filed on the very last day, a Sunday it was I think.

Well that all sounds perfectly fair to me, doesn't it to you? Electronically sending stuff is simply...... faster, but that Isn't the MTA's fault. Mind you that if this was the method used my list number should have been alot lower because I believe I filed on the very last day, a Sunday it was I think.

Right but it's a civil service process you should not penalize people just because they choose not to file electronically.

the way you file is in YOUR control, whereas your social security number is not. i'd rather be penalized for something i could have done than some number i was assigned on the day i was born :eek:

Well complaining to me about it isn't going to change it, just do your best on all the tests, that's the best way to make sure your wait is shorter regardless of what tie breaker they use.

Anyhow just to recap a few things I haven't been keeping up with.

3. No one has been called up for Conductor since an april class from the promotional list.

Is this still where we stand? :) :cry:

Hell I'm starting to look at the Track worker positions being posted for Metro North and LIRR.

Actually the last C/R class was called up last January, the last file number being called up was 112. there was a proposed C/R class for April, but it was canceled.

There was no 2002 exam for conductor puertrocks is ingesting too much steel dust. The exam was in 2004, and the list came out in august of 2005.

That is too funny!

aha! Well thanks alot for clarifying, it did cross my mind that if 02 was an exam year there would be at least a 2 year gap between expiration and new exam schedules, but I just didn't know if this was standard procedure or not. Gosh at this rate the 08 exam is looking like a complete botch. Although I doubt it heavily, I think we'll get a slight clue on callups schedules a few months AFTER this coming October callup, that is if it doesn't get cancelled.

Is this still where we stand? :P :cry:

Not to get off topic but where can I find these postings? It does not matter if I'm cleaning toilets I need something with some benefits bad.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

HI I'm new here , I'm still learning how to get around,, long time viewer,,first time writer. My name is Fabian I'm on the list for O/C conductors exam #86 w/101. Anyone now how many people on the prom list,& what number they up too before the O/C list is called, I'm not stressing it though but with lay offs, and this economy, does anyone think the O/C will be reached anytime soon?

HI I'm new here , I'm still learning how to get around,, long time viewer,,first time writer. My name is Fabian I'm on the list for O/C conductors exam #86 w/101. Anyone now how many people on the prom list,& what number they up too before the O/C list is called, I'm not stressing it though but with lay offs, and this economy, does anyone think the O/C will be reached anytime soon?

The last conductor class on 10/18/2010, #144 was hired from the promotional list that has 445 people on it. According to Alex L. who trains them, he said by the end of January 40 new conductors should be called up. If that trend continues, it could mean that the promo list could be done in the next 12 months. The MTA though, hires when they want to, so for all we know, 6 months down the line they could decide on a hiring freeze. Maybe even 5 months from now they could decide to hire 40 conductors each month and have the promo list done in less than a year. There really is no guarantee since the MTA rarely does what's expected. There is a need for conductors right now, but for the most part, they've had conductors doing a lot of overtime.

You're #86 on the list, so you should be in one of the early classes when they start calling up the open competative. Have hope for being hired by the summer, but expect to not be hired for another year possibly, or worst case scenatio, another year and a half, so you don't sit there waiting on something that may not come until later.

• 4 months later...

wow, that is great. Thnaks for the update Alex. Just the other week someone said the last person hired was 240, but I will take your word since you are a very credible source. Hopefully they will open up the O/C list immediately after they finish the promotional list so that I can get hired!

wow, that is great. Thnaks for the update Alex. Just the other week someone said the last person hired was 240, but I will take your word since you are a very credible source. Hopefully they will open up the O/C list immediately after they finish the promotional list so that I can get hired!

That person was me and I never said that was the last person hired. I said that is the last number DCAS hotline said was appointed. My list number is #244, I went down monday to complete the paper work and urine test for the C/R promo. So I should be hearing something from them maybe by the end of the week or sometime next week to come in for the medical exam, and if everything checks out final processing some time shortly after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, how far does transit go back in the back ground check, what kind of issues DQ a person and how would I be able to find all my previous jobs that I had years ago, some don't even excite anymore & some where pt seasonal jobs on the side for extra cash( on the books). I also remember leaving BS dead end min pay jobs cause they sucked. Would that be grounds for DQ? Hope not

They go back pretty much your whole life. There is no set period. As long as you don't hae a criminal record or anything of the like, I would not worry.

To find a record of your previosu jobs, you can get your employment history from the Social Security Administration. They have it.

No, Donald your wrong. Transit does not go back your entire life they only need ten years for work, address and criminal history. And any gaps in employment must be explained for how you supported yourself. Donald really if you don't know 100% the correct answer to someone's question don't answer it with what you think you know. And to the OP just be honest with whatever job you may have had and left in the past ten years. Because they want to make sure your info matches their info. And don't worry about previous employers by law they can only verify that you worked there during the times you put down. It is illegal for them to say something derogatory about you. And also Donald is right about going to the SS office to get a print out of your work history. But you only need it for the past ten years. So don't pay them for more history than you need.

When I said transit goes back most of your life, I was talkining about background in general, not employment. So if you have a conviction or arrest from 20 years ago for example, they will most certainly know. That is what I meant. I can assure you that transit (as would ANY govt. agency) find and raise concerns over a criminal history from over 10 years ago.

Archived