Have the R110s NTT in service

mark1447

Would it be possible to have the R130[R110A IRT] and/or the R131[R110B IND] to be in revenue service bit for the (S)huttles? I mean they are just sitting in the yards dying from being unused :(. R130 is currently at 239th Street Yd (Home of (2)) , while R131 is at 207th Yd (Home of (A) ).

It would help at least just to give the additional cars used by a shuttle to another route. Or maybe have the R110s just run in service. But it would require a (Major possibly) overhaul for these cars, seeing that they haven't been maintain and could possibly have problems from before.

Whats your Imput on this?

[R110A for the IRT , Contracted: R130 in 1989 I believe. For the (2). Testing ended in the late 90s can be found at 239th Street Yard, The Bronx.]

[R110B for the IND , Contracted: R130 in 1989 I believe. For the (A). Testing ended in the late 90s can be found at 207th Street, Manhattan.]

I'd say throw the R110A on the 42nd St (S), upgrading to 5 car trains in the process and getting rid of the third one. Then take R110B and throw both sets on the Franklin (S). It would work that way, but they've both been sitting in the yards for close to a decade now. Apparently the R110A was damaged in a fire and never repaired and the R110B suffered from reliability issues, but they could be put back into service if the MTA put a little cash into them.

Those cars you are mentioning are prototype cars and were used to test out new technology concepts that the eventual R142 R142A, R143 R160A and R160B cars adopted. Those R110A and R110B are not needed, the cars were never meant for long-term services.

Those cars you are mentioning are prototype cars and were used to test out new technology concepts that the eventual R142 R142A, R143 R160A and R160B cars adopted. Those R110A and R110B are not needed, the cars were never meant for long-term services.

I dont understand...are you saying that the MTA made the cars live in dog years? as in, they were meant to be used for a short time?

Yes but you can use them in service, What we just gonna let them rust to death...

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

To put them back in service crews would have to be qualified on them... Including shops... Also for the 110b its 67 ft so that would mean new boards on any line that's not 100 per cent opto, and franklin s stations aren't all big enogh to platform 3 67 fters... Just a few thoughts...

i thought those trains don't work anymore?

what you thought those cars have no parts lol? They work, just contains small bugs (or maybe huge) but they are good.

I would still use them on (S) 42nd for 130 and Rkway for 131 i guess

Were these cars like the r143/160 like today? traits include the smooth ride and the automated announcements, the FIND system is exclusive to the r160 so this doesn't count

Not much. This is why you gotta know the older cars, not just R142 and later or current cars in service.

R110A/R110B are like, but were diffrent and older. Which included features that we took from them and put on the R142 (From the 110A) and R143 (from r110B)

Shot of R110A:

239th Yd:

img_67647.jpg

Inside:

img_3381.jpg

More info and pics here: http://nycsubway.org/cars/r110a.html

R110B:

207th Yd:

img_3391.jpg

Inside:

img_3401.jpg

LED Stop Information

img_3407.jpg

More info and shots: http://nycsubway.org/cars/r110b.html

When the R142/143 was introed, the (MTA) just used the idea and looks of the R110s and made them use from the 142/143 =) and we still use em, i think

These cars dont look that bad, I would just replace certain features like the White Strip map, LED in the asle and other compents so they fit for service. They were also denied in service because the way the seats are forumed, notice the sites stay on the side while the other just go across near the center, which causes less room..

wow those shots are cool those cars look cool. and yeah I see shades of the NTT cars in there. almost looks like a combo of a pre NTT era car and an NTT car on the interior. the R110a really looks alot like 142, and the 110b looks alot like a 143/160.

I don't think there enough 110B cars left to make up half a train.

there are six 67 feet R110B trains left in storage. i do not feel like doing the math, but i do not think that would be enough for any line. the remaining three cars are being used at P.S.248 and the Coney Island Rail Yard.

The money that it would take to bring these trains back to operating standards and the cost of maintaining is not worth it. As much as your little railfan heart wants to see it in passenger service, it's not going to happen. It's not financially feasible.

The money that it would take to bring these trains back to operating standards and the cost of maintaining is not worth it. As much as your little railfan heart wants to see it in passenger service, it's not going to happen. It's not financially feasible.

Not only is it financially feasible,they can't run do to a lack of parts.the TA

isn't gonna make an effort to bring back cars that wern't ment for long term

service.

I dont understand...are you saying that the MTA made the cars live in dog years? as in, they were meant to be used for a short time?

Yes but you can use them in service, What we just gonna let them rust to death...

I'd like to see an R110A used as a shuttle, at 42nd Street. The cars are stainless steel, and they don't look rusty to me and they'll provide great standing room if used. The R142 and R142A cars production comes from the R110A features, but not the seating arrangement. The seating arrangement of the R110A has some perpendicular leaning seats like those of the 75 foot car series on the BMT/IND.

And like what others mentioned don't count on those cars running in passenger service.

There's also a R110B laying around outside a school building.

img_41913.jpg

taken from NYCsubway.org by Michael Pompili

Anyways that's all I'll say.

All the NTT (new technology train) cars are sufficient enough to provide reliable service today.

OK, here's the problem with the R110B (from memory correct me if i'm wrong)...

1. There was only 9 cars, 3 sets of 3.

2. The numbers were 3001-3003, 3004-3006, and 3007-3009.

3. They ran only on the (A) line at first.

4. Although it wasn't fully 600' long, it stopped at the "10" pointer and also had a special board for it (you can still see it in some places)

5. One of the sets was cannabolized for parts (i forgot which one)

6. Of the remaining 6 cars, they were put on the (C) but still short of being the length of a 8-car train.

7. After being put out of permanent service, 3004 and 3006 are at the Coney Island Yard, 3005 is in front of a school in Brooklyn (somewhere by the (D)) and 3001-3003 and 3007-3009 are still at the 207 Street yard to this day.

Although it would be nice for it to come out of service (or at least for a fan trip)

4. Although it wasn't fully 600' long, it stopped at the "10" pointer and also had a special board for it (you can still see it in some places)

6. Of the remaining 6 cars, they were put on the (C) but still short of being the length of a 8-car train.

7. After being put out of permanent service, 3004 and 3006 are at the Coney Island Yard, 3005 is in front of a school in Brooklyn (somewhere by the (D)) and 3001-3003 and 3007-3009 are still at the 207 Street yard to this day.

Although it would be nice for it to come out of service (or at least for a fan trip)

Does these cars still suffer though break problems?

yeah it was for testing but it was suppose to be in service still but the R110A/R130 were pulled from service in 1999 due to brake problems and fire damage.

As for the R110B/R131,they were suppose to stay in service but the R110B/R131 was pulled from service permanently removed from service in 2000 due to breakdowns and low Mean Distance Between Failure (MBDF) and will not likely see revenue passenger service again.

So the R110A/R110B will not return in service,it will stay retired.

(NYCT) was willing to install conductor boards just for the R110Bs, but they did not want to install those for the R40/40M/42s when they ran on the (C). i find it ironic now. R40/40M/42s looked good on the (C) and should have stayed there and the same goes for the R32s on the (E) (you have no idea how much i despise that line now) and R38s on the (A). as for the school in Brooklyn, that is P.S.248, the (MTA) teaching center. it is by 25th Avenue on the (D) line. R110B 3005 replaced an R16 there back in 2004.

yeah it was for testing but it was suppose to be in service still but the R110A/R130 were pulled from service in 1999 due to brake problems and fire damage.

As for the R110B/R131,they were suppose to stay in service but the R110B/R131 was pulled from service permanently removed from service in 2000 due to breakdowns and low Mean Distance Between Failure (MBDF) and will not likely see revenue passenger service again.

So the R110A/R110B will not return in service,it will stay retired.

so the MTA is just keeping them as school cars and/or storage? if not then just like mark said are they just gonna sit there for nothin

so the MTA is just keeping them as school cars and/or storage? if not then just like mark said are they just gonna sit there for nothin

well some are as school cars and/or storage expect for R110A,the R110A is just sitting there for 239 street yard.

Archived