The DL&W thread

metsfan

As totally awesome as that place is, i wish we didnt need it & stuff was the way it should be, and things were preserved initially vs abandoned & requiring restoration.

I feel like the railroad version of "the man in black". Reminding people that the railroad in the usa has seen better days, needs protection, assistance, and more care coming from elected leaders.

Why you think i choose black PRR logo vs colorful fancy alp-46, no it's not because i don't like the alp-46 (refer to the info above next to my username). I really feel the DL&W, and its contemporaries could have been saved and their hard work should be acknowledged by having excursions and various "fallen flag" livery, even though it doesn't mean more money for (NJT) or whomever, it's kinda the right thing to do. I mean just today i ran into some people visiting the pier at exchange place, and they are shocked when i tell them that it used to be one of the busiest rail terminals in the world for decades. Now all you see is buildings, barely a hint of a reminder of those times that helped build the country to what it is today aside from a mothballed terminal & one that needs serious refurbishment.

Breaks my heart and slightly angers me to see all that blood sweat tears and ingenuity tossed away like some useless annoyance.

I believe NJ and (NJT) could be the turn-around point for this horrible decay. Passenger numbers are at historical highs. Hell, that 2 track section between SEC and the tunnel probably sees more people per year than half the world's airports combined. The stimulus bill to be signed tuesday is an awesome step in the process to make america king of the rail again, however it will take time, and money, and public education.

That said, can you imagine riding to buffalo from hoboken without taking the hudson route? Surreal! It would be the same to me as hopping a train in trenton and not going on the :nec: to :njc: to get to the beach....

Do you know of any rosters for the electric & diesel fleets? Are those old EMU the only surviving examples? Where's the push/pull passenger cars?

- A

The DL&W never ran push pulls until they became EL and were running U34CH's with the Pullman Comet Cars. The push pulls with cab cars were a CNJ thing. Some of those cars are still around in Vermont(The ex CNJ heavyweight cab cars).

You know i think i've seen photos of them. Some are in pretty bad shape. :cry:

And yea when i said push/pull i meant regular non-powered cars.:cool: I saw a ton of them in a photo at newport mall. Go there some time & see what i'm talking about. They are at the entrance across from PATH. I got these photos that i'll add to this post once photobucket comes back online, but its more impressive in person!

- A

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived