NJT to any willing builder: new EMU's please!

metsfan

Anyone know where the development process is for the :septa: EMU? I am pretty sure (NJT) will not get those, however in the case that they do, would be nice to have some loose idea of the timeline.

Also, where on the timeline are the ALP-45, and ALP-46a?

These 3 things will determine which company builds them i think, and if ROTEM does, i don't think it will be the same model as :septa: is getting.

I am rooting for GE, brookville, and bomb..

- A

Anyone know where the development process is for the :septa: EMU? I am pretty sure (NJT) will not get those, however in the case that they do, would be nice to have some loose idea of the timeline.

Also, where on the timeline are the ALP-45, and ALP-46a?

These 3 things will determine which company builds them i think, and if ROTEM does, i don't think it will be the same model as :septa: is getting.

I am rooting for GE, brookville, and bomb..

- A

46a's are being built from what I'm told as we speak by our good freunde in Deutschland.

45's...who knows

As for SV's they still have not completed the factory in Philly so hahaha. Yeah figure this one out. ;)

I'm praying it goes to Bomb or GE(if they bite). NEVER NEVER NEVER ROTEM. They make me :mad:

GE makes hell out of everything like the R38 rebuilt and the Arrow IIs. Budd did a great job on the Arrow IIIs, but it no longer exists. I'm definitely going with Bombardier. I wish the new EMUs have diamond pantographs as well.

Full pantograph is much heavier than half pantograph. I have a feeling that it will get aerodynamic half pantograph.

I want them to run at 100 mph or at least 95. I have a feeling that if one of the more high tech designs all ready used by other bomb clients they may be cleared for 105 if amtk lets some slack out. All of the (NJT) fleet is capable of safe 110-115 mph service if not faster aside from the EMU which is limited to 85 due to truck design flaw.

They will likely not resemble at all anything in service currently on US rails, and i think that may be a good thing. Don't get me wrong i like the nostalgia of the budd EMU's, but they are far too boxy and toasterish. Even the (MTA) stuff they built has a "retro" feel to it. Too bad they are not still around or i'm sure they would be more than willing to make replacements.

I hope they get semi-married pairs which easily split if there's an issue if they go with the traditional A unit/B unit. This would make them more solid at speed as well.

How about Bomb/GE consortium where GE provides the power and propulsion systems and bomb makes the carbodies and does final assembly? :cool:

- A

I don't know how many times i've said this, but:

Why not consider Multilevel EMUs? like metra,

just redesign them so they can get into PENN.

I don't think the conductors would like you suggestion very much, they already complain about going up and down on the Multilevel cars.

Any speculations of the horns used on the Arrow IV? I really hope it's the AA-2 again, not some annoying Leslies like ones on the Silverliners and M7s. If not the AA-2s, then definitely the K5LA Hybrids. The AA-2s have a sharp tone, and likewise the K5LA Hybrids.

Hours of up and down stairs would get irritating. As for modifying to access NYP, not really going to happen. The ARC's ROW and tunnel could be designed to fit these, however i see no point in complicating a simple commuter EMU when more non-emu stuff is on the way. When the comet 2's are retired you'll likely see more multilevels, because you can order less and keep the same capacity. I hope the comet VI's are more reliable in mixed consist than the comet v are currently. The door controls don't always play nice especially when you have 2 3 4 and 5 all mixed together. Also, they could start hooking comet v with multilevels in service.

All that said, we need a modern EMU solution for (NJT) that works, and doesn't need repairs or fixes once delivered. One that is capable of 100-110 mph speeds, aerodynamic, and easily pairable. Since they usually run 8, 10, or 12 car sets, why not settle for a 11 car trainset with 2x2 seating on sections with no cab or bathroom, and 2x3 seating on sections that have a cab or bathroom? Toss up some luggage racks, and make it really comfy and add acela style doors and proper extendable stairs for low platforms. No middle doors needed, just have wide end doors. This would reduce weight and increase aerodynamic efficiency. Also, how about tilting common (in between 2 cars/sections) trucks with 4x disc brakes for extra stopping power 2 on each side of the motor or only 2 per axle plus dynamic brakes......

Yes, no?:cool:

- A

Regarding aerodynamics, then why not a slant end like the MI 2N on the Paris RER. On second thought, I would love to see an Alstom Arrow IV actually in 4 set trains like the RER. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/SNCF_Z_22596.JPG/250px-SNCF_Z_22596.JPG

It can even be double decked. Believe me, the RER trains were extremely comfortable.

I'm going to have to say no to that, because people at the airport are not going to like that, as well as crews who do fare collecting.....

Like i said before, the goal is high speed efficient and comfy, not complicated. Single level trainset with 11 80 foot sections. You could model it after the TGV.

- A

I disagree with the M8 actually. The red scheme fits ConnDOT more than NJT and the fixed seats are quite awkward. I'm used to the flip seats so I can face forward every time. Take the M7 for example, the seats are extremely hard. As a regular rider, I look towards a softer version of the Comet V seats. Lastly, I really hope that NJT would keep the oval shaped windows for wider view except in a bigger size(height of Comet V windows).

I disagree with the M8 actually. The red scheme fits ConnDOT more than NJT and the fixed seats are quite awkward. I'm used to the flip seats so I can face forward every time. Take the M7 for example, the seats are extremely hard. As a regular rider, I look towards a softer version of the Comet V seats. Lastly, I really hope that NJT would keep the oval shaped windows for wider view except in a bigger size(height of Comet V windows).

No flippy seats!!!! They just add weight and are bad for collisions & sudden stops. Have them be comfy as i said, no issues. Plus, i want an armrest that flips up and a divider to clearly divide seats as the bomb models have now.

- A

Flipping seats are a big no these days because of Mets fan said about collisions. The Comet V's were the last order I think you will see of flipping seats. Also Flippy Seats are annoying cause you have that Jackass who take two and lays across them, making problems on rush hour trains.

I think there should be polarized 100% UV blocking windows with a hint of blue to them on only the outside. As for the size, they are going to be larger thn the current arrows just because people who make them realize people want to look out the window plus bigger windows makes it seem bigger inside.

My real issue is with the doors. They need to be akin to the acela, nice and wide for luggage & wheelchair. Perhaps have gap filling mechanism as well, and retractable stairs for low level platforms vs "always there" stairs that tend to build up muck and are exposed to the outside in most cases. We also need them to have even more visibility and better exterior information displays.

- A

Archived