Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
FlushingExpress

Woman Sues N.Y. Over 2005 rape

From http://www.wcbstv.com:

A rape victim tells CBS 2 HD exclusively she was victimized not only by the rapist, but by the system that failed to protect her. And she is determined to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Maria Besedina, 25, says the pain of being raped never goes away. But now, four years later, despite the difficultly, she is telling her story to warn others.

"It's taken away every opportunity I ever had in my life," Besedina said.

It happened in June 2005 on the "G" line. Besedina fled the train in a panic at the Van Alst station in Queens, terrified after a man on the train had approached her and touched her. But he followed out Besedina out.

"And I was like you creep what are you doing? I was running for my life," she said.

Frantic, she ran up some stairs. It was 2 a.m., but she was relieved to see a Metropolitan Transportation Authority employee inside a token booth.

"I was so happy. I was like thank God, I'm saved," Besedina said. "I was crying, screaming, help me, please. There were tears in my eyes. I remember looking in his eyes, pleading."

But she said he simply looked on as the man dragged her back down the stairs and repeatedly raped her on the deserted platform.

"I was thinking ... 'God, how can this happen? Someone please save me. Why isn't the guy upstairs doing anything?" she said.

The MTA refused to do an on-camera interview, but told CBS 2 HD the employee in the booth did exactly what he is supposed to do. He hit a button that connected him to a command center, who then called the police. Following procedure, he did not leave the booth.

"He continued to rape me and violate me in so many ways," Besedina said. "I was praying to God, please come help me and I really thought I was going to die."

By the time police arrived 10 minutes later the rapist had gotten away.

Attorney Marc Albert filed a lawsuit on behalf of Besedina, insisting that the transit authority employee could have -- and should have -- helped her.

"They don't care about safety," Albert said. "All he had to do … he had short-range speakers … was yell 'I've called the police' or 'I've seen you! What are you doing??'"

Beyond that, Albert said there was no way for the employee to alert others in the station of the danger.

"It's totally inadequate," Albert said.

New York City Councilmember John Liu agrees. He said the vast majority of stations, including Van Alst, do not have simple public address systems. For years, he's been fighting for the MTA to install them.

"Why is it that there's no way to alert the entire station, the platform, the upstairs level that an attack is occurring," Liu said. "If people had known that something like this was happening something awful like this, people would come to the rescue."

And Besedina said she hopes her lawsuit can prevent another horrific crime from happening to another woman.

"I want them to be safe," she said. "This kind of thing should never happen again."

According to the NYPD overall, violent crime in the subway is down. Rape, however, did increase though the numbers are still small. There were two rapes in 2007 compared to one in 2008.

do you think she should win the case, or did the token booth clerk did the right thing? this kinda reminds me of when i got attacked by three young women on the (G) two years because they caught me taking pictures of them behind their backs.

She does have a case since the MTA pretty much doesn't care about safety. They don't care about their workers, so why would they for her? And who told her to take the train at 2AM alone?

She does have a case since the MTA pretty much doesn't care about safety. They don't care about their workers, so why would they for her? And who told her to take the train at 2AM alone?

sometimes you have no choice

sometimes you have no choice

There's always a choice. Unless someone put a gun to her head to go gallivanting around town, then she had a choice.

I am curious though as to how she got dragged back downstairs after running to the token booth. The booths are outside the turnstile so the guy would have to pause to swipe his card through to drag her to the platform and even then if it was an old turnstile, how would he had pulled her along? Question is, why didn't she fight him and beat the living hell out of him? There's no mention even of any weapons so was he even armed?

There's always a choice. Unless someone put a gun to her head to go gallivanting around town, then she had a choice.

I am curious though as to how she got dragged back downstairs after running to the token booth. The booths are outside the turnstile so the guy would have to pause to swipe his card through to drag her to the platform and even then if it was an old turnstile, how would he had pulled her along? Question is, why didn't she fight him and beat the living hell out of him? There's no mention even of any weapons so was he even armed?

She was probably too scared to handle him.

Booth workers i've read somewhere are allowed to let people in the booth in emergencies, so.... :confused:

- A

Let me fill you guys in on some information. No one is allowed in that booth unless you are a TA station employee. The situation does not matter. The station agent did exactly what TA trained him to do. If that station agent would have come out the booth and attacked the rapist he would have lost his job. Also, booths have been robbed plenty of times with this same type of situation. Female pretends to be raped or assualted, when station agent opens the door to let female in or go out to help, gun to the head. Sorry, but you don't know who to trust.

As far as a public address system to alert other people. There is no one else at that station 2am. The station is dead. It even states that in the report. Who would you alert. I feel sorry for the victim, but the station agent did what TA tells us to do. Personally, maybe I would have done different

Disgusting that the booth clerk did nothing to help the (G) rider from the attacker, what a disgrace! I hope this never happens again.

She is w/i the statute of limitations, but it bothers me when I hear people suing over an event/occurrence that happened yrs. ago... makes the person look money hungry.... I mean, this lady got raped, yet she waits 3+ yrs to want to sue the MTA... it's one thing to want to wait that long to come out in the open & tell your story... it's quite another to wait that long to sue, over something (IMO anyway) quite traumatic....

As for the question:

do you think she should win the case, or did the token booth clerk did the right thing?

this kinda reminds me of when i got attacked by three young women on the two years because they caught me taking pictures of them behind their backs.

Well, she definitely has a case...

I don't fault the TBC much b/c he was doing his job, as he was trained.... If he were to come out the booth & get physical w/ the rapist, that f*** could actually sue for assault &/or battery... petty, but it does happen... I guess what I'm asking is, what could he have done, stepping out the booth, that would have resulted in no disciplinary action for him?

I think she should win the case, though... no one (man or woman) deserves to get raped, on or off MTA property....

She is w/i the statute of limitations, but it bothers me when I hear people suing over an event/occurrence that happened yrs. ago... makes the person look money hungry.... I mean, this lady got raped, yet she waits 3+ yrs to want to sue the MTA... it's one thing to want to wait that long to come out in the open & tell your story... it's quite another to wait that long to sue, over something (IMO anyway) quite traumatic....

As for the question:

Well, she definitely has a case...

I don't fault the TBC much b/c he was doing his job, as he was trained.... If he were to come out the booth & get physical w/ the rapist, that f*** could actually sue for assault &/or battery... petty, but it does happen... I guess what I'm asking is, what could he have done, stepping out the booth, that would have resulted in no disciplinary action for him?

I think she should win the case, though... no one (man or woman) deserves to get raped, on or off MTA property....

This is my take and I really feel bas she was raped:(. With that said and sorry if i sound insentaive or cold hearted i think 3-plus years to sue is way too long. Unless she was a 'minor' (ie she was sexually assulted as a 14-year old minor for instance)and had to wait until she was 21 to do is the only excpetion for extended tme for starutory to file legla claims like this. The maxuim this victim should have to make legal police report/lawsuits should be 18 months. (1 1/2 years)

Again i feel bad for her and no one should ever be raped. However this very delayed legal action shows another example of why our legal system in America has serious problems.

this kinda reminds me of when i got attacked by three young women on the (G) two years because they caught me taking pictures of them behind their backs.
Now why you do that? There's many websites for that. :)

I think the girl should've ran out the station instead of the booth. Who knows might be someone outside to help her. Either way it's sad that women get treated like this. :tdown: They're human beings too.

Now why you do that? There's many websites for that. :)

i just thought they were hot. dont ask why, but i based these girls on three characters in my short story called "What Guys and Girls Want". anyway, the token booth clerk in these case should have yelled at the rapist and told him to leave instead of just sitting calling the police.

The token booth clerk did NOTHING wrong. He called for help with the phone that is all he is supposed to do. If he leaves his booth he will be fired!!!

Plus a clerk is NOT trained to stop physical attacks.

Welcome to NY, where everything happens, and people saying this is the BEST city in the world, and no this isnt the best city in the world for trains and stuff, look how over protected we are from targets. So we are NOT the best, no offence to my city I love but rly its no gd.

The MTA needs to wake up damn it. What now they citting back on helping people? EVen tho this is in 2005, but still everywhere you go its bad.. The T/A needs to spread NYPD all over the place, not just where crime is more at risk, but everywhere at least 2 cops 1 for each area...

Anyways good luck miss! and Welcome to New York where anything is possible, even tho u r from NY. C ime is everwhere. manhattan, brooklyn, bronx, queens, staten island, long island, westchester, everywhere on this planet..

@Jah how the hell is he going to be fired, if at diffrent stations I go many station agents are out of the both.. He could of let the person in and hide , but at least hes being kind

Posted via Mobile Device

@Jah how the hell is he going to be fired, if at diffrent stations I go many station agents are out of the both.. He could of let the person in and hide , but at least hes being kind

If the clerks job is to work the booth they are NOT allowed to leave the booth without somebody relieving them like a lunch relief or a cleaner will sit in the booth so they can go use the bathroom.

I don't make the rules the TA does and believe me they have ZERO tolerance or sympathy for any employee who breaks a rule no matter what the reason is.

As for letting the woman into the booth, did she run over and try to enter the booth? No she did not so you can't say he didn't let her in.

The point that nobody likes to understand is that the MTA but especially the TA doesn't care at all about it's customers or employees.

Also the only agents you see out of the booth are assigned to be out there. All other agents must remain in the booth and only certian people can enter. An agent I used to know said that under their contract, if they get hurt out side of the booth when they are supposed to be in it, they are not covered. The agent in this case did his job.

I feel bad but at the same time piss because she rather sues the MTA but not bring the rapist to justice,that's just cold,if she win it is not going to make her fears go away because the rapist is still out there.

Posted via Mobile Device

If the clerks job is to work the booth they are NOT allowed to leave the booth without somebody relieving them like a lunch relief or a cleaner will sit in the booth so they can go use the bathroom.

I don't make the rules the TA does and believe me they have ZERO tolerance or sympathy for any employee who breaks a rule no matter what the reason is.

As for letting the woman into the booth, did she run over and try to enter the booth? No she did not so you can't say he didn't let her in.

The point that nobody likes to understand is that the MTA but especially the TA doesn't care at all about it's customers or employees.

Thank you! Finally.

And to Flushing Express, you're lucky those women didn't beat you to a pulp. I think it's entirely creepy you did that.

Thank you! Finally.

And to Flushing Express, you're lucky those women didn't beat you to a pulp. I think it's entirely creepy you did that.

you are totally right, and technically, one of those girls, who was very tall with an atheltic build (kinda looked like jennie finch if you know her), almost pulverized me to death. believe me, i am not a very tough person, but i deserved that. i hope i did not offend you in anyway