Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

hey does anyone know of any study classes being offered for the train operator exam in june? i already bought the book from worth st. and i know in surface transit they had study classes for the dispatcher exam but havent heard about train operator class. if anyone knows of anything it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea you didnt really even need to buy the book. If anything..you could go to your local Barnes n Noble..Borders etc..and skimmed it there to get a sense of whats on the exam. As others have stated already..its gonna be common sense questions

I took out a book for the Train Operator exam from the Elmont Public Library. It's a green book with yellow text on the cover. I find the material to be a bit challenging asking specific questions that pertain to actually operating the train. I am starting to question whether challenging material like such would be on an open competitve exam. I really want to do the best that I can on this exam if anyone knows what I can study to excel please let me know.

Yea Y2J is right. Think of it like when u get your permit..and they had the signs and question 15 asked "which sign means railroad crossing?" lol. Seriously...its all reading comprehension..just make sure you read the questions carefully..dont try and be a speed demon..but it should be a rather basic exam. The question are going to of course be T/O related..but nothing too crazy. For example I know on the C/R exam..and it'll probably be on the T/O exam..there were questions about military time..because thats the time they use. So they'll be a question like "Joey started his shift at 0300hrs..and ended at 0900hrs..when did he start his shift A. 3am B. 3pm C. 2:15pm D. 5:45am etc.. Im sure the OC T/O exam will be in that same lane...all questions related to the work in question..but still reading comprehension

thanks for the info but it is the promotional exam that i will be taking but i dont work in rto to know some of the questions that they will be asking

So you're a B/O for the MTA currently? In that case I recommend the Passbook for Train Operator.

thanks for the info but it is the promotional exam that i will be taking but i dont work in rto to know some of the questions that they will be asking

There is NO difference between the Open Competitive and Promotional test for Train Operator. You will be asked the SAME questions, in the same room, at the same time. However, since you are a Promotional, you will be hired before any Open Competitive person (assuming you actually pass ;))

There is NO difference between the Open Competitive and Promotional test for Train Operator. You will be asked the SAME questions, in the same room, at the same time. However, since you are a Promotional, you will be hired before any Open Competitive person (assuming you actually pass B))

The open competetive test and the promotional test are different. That is why they are given on different dates. They are 2 completely different tests.

The open competetive is extremely easy common sense while the promotional actual has job specific questions along with the common sense.

The open competetive test and the promotional test are different. That is why they are given on different dates. They are 2 completely different tests.

The open competetive is extremely easy common sense while the promotional actual has job specific questions along with the common sense.

Alex is right the last Promotional T/O Exam which I took was the same as the O/C T/O it was just reading Comp.

I have the passbook and their all sorts of questions that someone who's never operated a train before would not be able to to answer. For example I have no idea what the ME-42 brake is? I have an idea but am not sure what "series" means and their are questions about signs and signals without explaining what they mean first. Some signs and signals are common sense but how would I know what the difference between"6" and "6 Car" is I am flawless on the reading comp. though. So how can the OC and Prom. exams be the same?

I have the passbook and their all sorts of questions that someone who's never operated a train before would not be able to to answer. ....So how can the OC and Prom. exams be the same?

The book you have consists of tests from when the Train Operator position was a promotional only position. You were expected to know something about the position you were applying for in order to actually get it. In 2000, the position was opened up as an Open Competitive title. Since there is no way to expect an Open Competitive applicant to know enough about the system prior to taking the test, the old promotional tests were tossed (which lead to a whole pile of problems with the first O/C classes). Since that time, one test is given for the position to both open competitive and promotional applicants; however, DCAS treats them as two different exams. Those taking the promotional exam will be on one list; those taking the open competitive will be on another. When hiring starts, he promos will be called first; the O/Cs will not be called until the promo list is exhausted.

Now, take the book and put it away. The only things you need to know are:

• how to read

• how to understand what you read

• how to do "clock" math

• how to get around the city using the subway

Judging by where we are now from the last test, if you get a list number above 2500, you should probably forget about being called.

The test is rules and regulations, which are common sense questions. You will read the paragraph, and pick the best answer. They ask nothing of car lenghts, or technical questions. Just stuff from the rule book, and Bulletins. You don't need a rule book or bulletin, it's questions most can answer. The promo is the same as yth O/C, but the people on the promo will take theirs first (on an earlier date), then the O/C will get to take theirs. The promos will get called first, and that is why it took nearly 5 years for me to get called. Expect a good long wait since their is a promo being called first this time. When that next TSS exam comes up, I'm taking it. I'm tired of operating a train already. Got boring in the first month of being on my own. Time to get face back in bulletin, and rule book.........

Archived