Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im not sure? is there a requirment for age on the exam?

Not really an age thing but they do have a work/education requirement which at your age I'm not sure how you would meet those requirements.

Not really an age thing but they do have a work/education requirement which at your age I'm not sure how you would meet those requirements.
so i have to wait till i have 4 years of college.man thats not fair. i have to wait sum more.

so i have to wait till i have 4 years of college.man thats not fair. i have to wait sum more.

Education and Experience Requirements: By the last day of the Application Period you must have:

1. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, approved by a State’s

Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization; and

2. Five years of full-time, paid satisfactory work experience.

College education may be substituted for experience on the following basis: One year of acceptable

experience will be credited for each 30 credits completed at an accredited college, up to a maximum

of four years. However, all candidates must have at least one year of full-time satisfactory, paid work

experience. Part-time paid experience will be pro-rated.

Next exam wont be till 4-5 years from now so you have time to work on it.

oh ok well i guess ill just go to work then wafter 2 years of college. 4-5yrs smh too long for a test.

im annoyed about that now.

Well you can also file for other TA positions then you would be eligible for the promotional T/O exam which has priority over the O/C exam. Offhand,conductor,bus operator,track worker exams where given within the last 2 yrs. But this is something to consider.

Well you can also file for other TA positions then you would be eligible for the promotional T/O exam which has priority over the O/C exam. Offhand,conductor,bus operator,track worker exams where given within the last 2 yrs. But this is something to consider.
The conductors exam was given on December 2008. Next one should be around 2012-2013.

No that's not true. You are allowed a second job BUT you need to submit paperwork and it must be approved. We pick twice a year and the paperwork has to be resubmitted and reapproved every pick.

If the second job involves eyesight like driving you will be denied everytime if you're a T/O. If the second job involves physical activity like delivering mail you will be denied everytime.

well im a mail handler, not a mail carrier. would they maybe approve it if i could talk the post office into giving me leave without pay status? i just dont want to lose everything if i get that one question wrong on the signals test

well im a mail handler, not a mail carrier. would they maybe approve it if i could talk the post office into giving me leave without pay status? i just dont want to lose everything if i get that one question wrong on the signals test

You never know until you try but my guess is the TA will say NO. It's all about them controlling you. When you are new they really have to set that precedent that they control your life now!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know where the June 6th Train Operator exam is going to be held?

-v

It will be held at various high schools throughout queens, brooklyn, and manhattan. There will probably be different sessions too.

It will be held at various high schools throughout queens, brooklyn, and manhattan. There will probably be different sessions too.

You're correct. It's done at various different High Schools throughout NYC. They do 3 sessions, a morning, afternoon and evening session. You will receive you admittance paper 1 week before June 6th. Listed on this paper will be your examination location and what time you need to be there. They do not let people inside after the time that is shown on your paper, so remember to be early and on time.

this thread and the other one on the conductor test have been very helpful in figuring out what's going to be on the T/O test. sounds like it will be basic reading comprehension, common sense questions, military time, etc. one question, though: do we have to know SPECIFIC info on subway lines and stations, like where to transfer to the metro north or amtrak, or what lines stop at times square or are near the empire state building, that kind of thing? reason why I ask is because someone wrote in the conductor test thread:

"The answer for the question where can you take PATH trains is 34th Street/Herald Square. The one about train service to Westchester County is Grand Central because Metro-North is the one that provides train service to Westchester County..."

so, y'all think there might there be a question like: "what station can you transfer to the PATH train?" or "what line services suffolk county?" that's pretty specific knowledge, especially for those of us not living in NYC now, you know? thanks for the help.

My weak points are signals and breaks. Any tips?(A)(NYCT)

Only flagging was covered in the conductors exam, I don't recall any questions regarding signals. I believe you will only deal with signals once you have already been called and are in school car. They will teach you all that you need to know in school car.

hey does anyone know of any study classes being offered for the train operator exam in june? i already bought the book from worth st. and i know in surface transit they had study classes for the dispatcher exam but havent heard about train operator class. if anyone knows of anything it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Are there any sample tests available online for the open examination. The only book I can find is very technical: "C-1086 Passbook for Train Operator" from the National Learning Corp.

Are there any sample tests available online for the open examination. The only book I can find is very technical: "C-1086 Passbook for Train Operator" from the National Learning Corp.

Unfortunately no. You could try getting the Conductor exam book since the questions would be similar to those on it but much simpler.

Yes, they were questions like that on the Conductor exam. They did provide you with a basic map though.

thanks julio. I called DCAS to ask if they could give me more specific information on the test, but they just referred me to the super vague 'test' section in the notice of exam...as I expected.

I will either get Franklin Lane or Richmond Hill H.S,those are the 2 schools that I went to for the DSNY and NYCT B/O

exams.

Notices should be in the mail no later then this Saturday.

I hope it is at Richmond Hill H.S. I live right down the block!:P(J)(Z)

Archived