Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

I found this from the Daily News Archives.

TRAIN OPERATOR EXAM OFFERED

BY BILL FARRELL

Wednesday, May 21th 2003, 7:36AM

Even during a budget squeeze, the subway must roll. New York City Transit is expected to hire 800 new train operators next year. The filing period has opened for an exam that will be given Oct. 25.

To qualify, candidates must have a high school diploma or its equivalent plus five years of full-time, paid, satisfactory work experience.

City residency is not required. Candidates will be screened for drugs.

The starting salary for these positions is $23.85 per hour.

The Department of Citywide Administrative Services is accepting applications from the general public for these positions, but eligible New York City Transit employees also may take the exam as a promotional test. Names on the promotion list will be considered first in the hiring process.

More than 13,000 outside candidates took the train operator exam when it was first offered as an open competitive exam three years ago. Nearly 500 candidates have been hired from that list, and transit officials said another 100 will be hired from the list by the end of this year.

Applications for this and other exams with the New York City Transit, including bus maintainer group B, are available at the Department of Citywide Administrative Services Applications Section, at 18 Washington St. in Manhattan. Applications also can be downloaded from the department Web site: http://www.nyc.gov/dcas.

So the last T/O exam was in 2003? Let's hope there are more than 25% no shows on Saturday like there were for the 2000 T/O exam.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone. Long time reader 1st time poster. I got my yellow card in the mail last Thursday. I got 167th St Jamaica. I wouldve preferred Lane but I guess I cant complain since I live pretty close to the test site.

BTW I just wanna say thank you to all of you who have posted and helped me with a lot of good information from here over the last year or so.

Kinda curious, which do you think will be the quickest way in: Train Operator, Conductor or Station Agent?

Yeah Ive heard and read some things regarding Station Agents. Just guess Im an idealist and find it hard to believe that hey would have a test and swindle me out of my hard earned, and much needed money for positions they never planned on filling anyways. Guess Im naive lol.

Yeah I took Conductor exam and Station Agent exam and am looking forward to Saturdays test. Just wish one of them would pan out fo rme sooner than later.

Yeah Ive heard and read some things regarding Station Agents. Just guess Im an idealist and find it hard to believe that hey would have a test and swindle me out of my hard earned, and much needed money for positions they never planned on filling anyways. Guess Im naive lol.

Yeah I took Conductor exam and Station Agent exam and am looking forward to Saturdays test. Just wish one of them would pan out fo rme sooner than later.

:P I hope all works out for you :tup: And soon

just keep your focus. Whichever list you get called for, go for it.

Always keep the next one in mind; if it is promotion to T/O, then it is a no brainer. You always strive for the highest position.

Take the exam and you will do well. Always remember that you are as good if not better than the next person.:tup:

might sound stupid..can anyone here tell me what i can use to study for the map directions..? it seems on the conductor exam i didnt well in that part..as of military time a good brush up web sight? thanks guys

any good pointers would help especially for the map part

There is no guide for such thing, you either know the directions or you don't. Just look at the map and memorize all important areas such as the Empire State Building, Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Center. As per the rules and regulations all employees that have public interaction must be familiar with all important areas around NYC to give travel help to customers. So you better start familiarizing yourself with NYC.

might sound stupid..can anyone here tell me what i can use to study for the map directions..? it seems on the conductor exam i didnt well in that part..as of military time a good brush up web sight? thanks guys

any good pointers would help especially for the map part

i thought you werent taking the test?

ok is there anyway we can help each other out here..i have a few questions here

Metro north

Grandcentral station

where would these train go..whats there routes and which stop would i get off to get to these stations?

i know guys sorry but a brush up would be nice ..lol

reading through this thread, it HAS to be a large amount of applicants for this exam....people living in a certain borough have to travel to another. i was surprised myself, i usually end up at roosevelt in brooklyn but i have to head to 15th street in manhattan....which isn't as bad as some others who have to take 2-3 trains....CRAZZZYYYY.

i dont know if you heard but station agents are being phased out through attrition. i doubt they're hiring for that position. conductor just had their exam so if you didnt take it then train operator is the fastest
I understand they are phasing out the station agents....but what is gonna happen to the test they gave last year for that position?

i suppose they're not calling any more people.

my ticket didnt say anything about bringing number 2 pencils. im gonna bring them anyway but does anyone know if the school provides them?

They didnt even send out the scores yet for that exam. That would really suck.

my ticket didnt say anything about bringing number 2 pencils. im gonna bring them anyway but does anyone know if the school provides them?

its written on back of the yellow paper bring a #2 pencil

my paper didnt talk to me i just read it on the paper

It's on the back :o and no, the school won't provide anything.

Im taking the train operator this sat is it hard can any body give me some tips(E)
Basics...reading,math,landmarks,military time,timetables,signals,rules,radio codes etc.The answers will be there for you just go get them!It will NOT be tricky so don't worry.You guys are from the street so they can't get that technical with you until you get the job and start training...I guarantee yur gonna pass it!Just try to score high because everybody in the WORLD will be taking this test!You'll wan't yur list number to be in the 1,000's or better to get a shot a this gig...

i wanted to start a thread for us to brush up for this T/O exam on june 6rh 2009

my questions are

which train to take to get to statue of liberty?

i need all the LANDMARKS in nyc they will ask and how to get there for EXample

which stop do you get off for the tallest tree in NYC?

answer: rockafeller st

Empire state building

answer:34st

etc etc

Archived