Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you happen to know how many other people also scored 100%? Do they give residency credits?

No there is NO residency credits for the MTA. If I had to guess I would say around half of the employees don't live in the 5 boroughs. Theres a huge percentage that don't even live in the state.

Veterans credits are used though. For a both the open competetive and promotional tests.

Ok, the promotional list has to be exhausted before considering candidates from the open-competitive list. What happens to the open-competitive candidates who score higher than the available people on the promotional list? Will a person fom the promotional list who just barely pass take precedence over someone who scores a perfect 100 on the open-competive list?

And another question, the 5 years that is required for the position...it HAS to be "on the books"? The previous job I held I worked the first few years "off the books" and the final year "on the books"...is this a problem?

If the job was off the books, I wouldn't think it would count. Will NYCT look at your tax records to see if you're employed, or do they just call up your employers and ask "did they work here?"

The promotional list gets exhausted first so yes a person who scores a 75 on that test will get called before someone who scores a 100 on the open competetive.

The work history must be on the books because technically if it is off the books it didn't happen.

Can your former boss/owner of the company vouch for the years worked off the books? My work history will then look sporadic with huge gaps...this sucks!

Anyone can get someone to say that you worked there off the books. On the books is all that matters that means you were gainfully employed in the eyes of the government.

Off the books means NOTHING to the TA.

Can your former boss/owner of the company vouch for the years worked off the books? My work history will then look sporadic with huge gaps...this sucks!

As Dave and Jah said, No! You must be on the books. Don't forget, the head of MTA is appointed by the NYS Governor. Basically it is a state agency with this happening, so you have to have credentials to get into here.......

Once in, screw up, and become Superintendent..........

Same here,but I just want to make sure of something first before I file for the exam. Is it your last 5 yrs work experience on the books up until your take the exam or can it be going back anytime during your work history?

Same here,but I just want to make sure of something first before I file for the exam. Is it your last 5 yrs work experience on the books up until your take the exam or can it be going back anytime during your work history?

Last 5 years, until you file for the exam. So from March 2004 until now........

5 years of PROVABLE work experience - no one cares when the 5 years were.

I've filed for my fair share of these DCAS Exams. I filed for 2 MaBSTOA Bus Operator Exams, 1 MTA Bus Operator Exam, 2 Conductor Exams and a Sanitation Test. And I still haven't been offered a job with the MTA or with NYC yet. And I've been taking these exams since 2002?!

Seriously, I don't feel the necessity to take any more of these DCAS Exams. They're a waste of time and space and I can't waste any more of my time or money on them. More specifcally, I just don't want to take the Train Operator Exam-esepecially after the MTA introduced ATO on the L. So therefore, I'm done. If none of these ever contact me, then a career change will be imminent.

This should be interesting. Since part time work is pro rata, and school counts for a year for per 30 credits, I'm gonna be right at the threshold since I got 126 credits, been working full time for 6 months at the end of the filing date, and have part time work on the books going back through all last summer, about 12 full weeks the year before, part time while at school, and some odds and ends (mostly temp work) from 2004-06 that was on the books.

Whatever, sure it's 40 to 60 bucks, but might as well put in for the exam, take it and if it comes back not eligible then that be that...

i just filed online for the exam around 12, i had to pull out my resume and go back to old jobs that i worked for to complete the 5 year work history portion. good luck to everyone
After you finished the application, did the application stay in "Review/Continue Exams in Progress" or was it moved to "View Status and Summary of Completed Exams"? My application is still in "Review/Continue Exams in Progress" even after I submitted and filled in the application.

I guess that's how it is, because I don't remember my application for conductor staying in the "Review/Continue Exams in Progress". Oh well. If anything, I'll just call DCAS later on today for some clarification to see if we are ok.

Archived