Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few general questions about the exam. I am out of school 30 years now and I have not taken a standardized test since then.

1.) How many questions are on the exam?

2.) How much time do they give you to take the exam?

3.) Do you feel that you have enough time to complete each section or is it one of those speed type exams?

4.) Is the test taken on a pc or is it one of those #2 pencil forms ( I feel more comfortable reading an exam from a hard copy.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have a few general questions about the exam. I am out of school 30 years now and I have not taken a standardized test since then.

1.) How many questions are on the exam?

2.) How much time do they give you to take the exam?

3.) Do you feel that you have enough time to complete each section or is it one of those speed type exams?

4.) Is the test taken on a pc or is it one of those #2 pencil forms ( I feel more comfortable reading an exam from a hard copy.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1.) I would say about 80 questions.

2.) I believe it's 2 hours.

3.) Yes, It should be enough time. The questions on the C/R exam was pretty easy.

4.) It's a paper test. You would need to take your own pencil.

ok fellas i just applied for the exam..so you guys saying i dont have to study for this exam? should be like the conductor exam? do they have a book for this exam...i really had trouble with the subway map question..is there a good study guide for this?

ok fellas i just applied for the exam..so you guys saying i dont have to study for this exam? should be like the conductor exam? do they have a book for this exam...i really had trouble with the subway map question..is there a good study guide for this?

Should be just like the conductor's exam. Same type of questions. Question, on the website, did your application move to the completed section? or is it still in the pending section?

I finally got through to the DCAS Applications group and I spoke with a Mr. Chate. He said they are aware of the problem, this is happening to alot of the EETP applications and they don't know why. The advice he gave was to send the EEPT portion via mail. So here I go again....

I finally got through to the DCAS Applications group and I spoke with a Mr. Chate. He said they are aware of the problem, this is happening to alot of the EETP applications and they don't know why. The advice he gave was to send the EEPT portion via mail. So here I go again....

So for the people who already filed online will have to fork over another 60$ for a money order? This sounds really odd...I should've mailed in the application in the first place then...

If they are aware of the problem as long as we have confirmation numbers we should be allset. The test is in June so they have our info they should email or call us w some info

Study whatever you can, really, I REALLY mean it... I just got hired last year and met someone who took the same test I did-she scored about a 98 while I was a little over a 94... she got hired THREE ( 3 ) YEARS before I did.

Don't think you're the only one going in there taking this "common sense" exam! ...getting the high score may be easy, but a couple of points could make a couple of years' difference. Think about the economy, too!

Good luck and God bless. (NYCT)

Hi

I brought the train operator passbook, damn I don't know any of the tech questions, but after reading this forum I realise it was a waste of 30 dollars. Thanks otherwise I would have wasted 90 dollars include app fee.

I miss the conductor exam but was wondering should I the buy that book just to read over it, does it help?

I know people say it is easy and reading questions but I only score 89 in my traffic officer exam and everyone was saying how easy that was. but I didn't do well on that either.

Please any books or things to recommend to study would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I also got a email that I need to fill out the work part, but I haven't started yet but did get the confirmation number.

I've filed for my fair share of these DCAS Exams. I filed for 2 MaBSTOA Bus Operator Exams, 1 MTA Bus Operator Exam, 2 Conductor Exams and a Sanitation Test. And I still haven't been offered a job with the MTA or with NYC yet. And I've been taking these exams since 2002?!

Seriously, I don't feel the necessity to take any more of these DCAS Exams. They're a waste of time and space and I can't waste any more of my time or money on them. More specifcally, I just don't want to take the Train Operator Exam-esepecially after the MTA introduced ATO on the L. So therefore, I'm done. If none of these ever contact me, then a career change will be imminent.

It takes a long time and it takes some luck as well. Just look at the numbers of these lists,the sanitation list from the exam back in 2003 was over 22,000. These exams are highly competitive. I believe there is a poster on these boards who took 9 exams and not one hit.

At least you tried,so give yourself some credit. Good luck with whatever road you choose.

It takes a long time and it takes some luck as well. Just look at the numbers of these lists,the sanitation list from the exam back in 2003 was over 22,000. These exams are highly competitive. I believe there is a poster on these boards who took 9 exams and not one hit.

At least you tried,so give yourself some credit. Good luck with whatever road you choose.

I took a bunch of city test too. I even scored a 101 on sanitation test 6063, and Im still waiting to be called. Just be patient and dont stress over how long its gonna take for them to call you, just be ready when they do. You have 4 years to get called off of these lists. so be patient.

It's all about timing too.

I got called for every single city test that I ever took (C/R, track worker, NYPD, NYFD) which just means that they were hiring at those times and I scored well.

But the job that I wanted was sanitation and I never even got to take that test, didn't get picked in the lottery just to take the test.

Plus I scored extremely well on the suffolk police test years ago and have a criminal justice degree and never got called.

Hi

I brought the train operator passbook, damn I don't know any of the tech questions, but after reading this forum I realise it was a waste of 30 dollars. Thanks otherwise I would have wasted 90 dollars include app fee.

I miss the conductor exam but was wondering should I the buy that book just to read over it, does it help?

I know people say it is easy and reading questions but I only score 89 in my traffic officer exam and everyone was saying how easy that was. but I didn't do well on that either.

Please any books or things to recommend to study would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I also got a email that I need to fill out the work part, but I haven't started yet but did get the confirmation number.

The books cover things that are part of the job that you will have to learn eventually but they do not help you with the test (except for some of the city questions or passenger questions or the "read the rule and demonstrate reading comprehension" questions). The technical questions will be useful when you start working but not for the test...consider it a "head start" if you will

It's all about timing too.

I got called for every single city test that I ever took (C/R, track worker, NYPD, NYFD) which just means that they were hiring at those times and I scored well.

But the job that I wanted was sanitation and I never even got to take that test, didn't get picked in the lottery just to take the test.

Plus I scored extremely well on the suffolk police test years ago and have a criminal justice degree and never got called.

When were they hiring through a lottery system to take the test for DSNY? Was this up to the mid to the late 90's? I know they had DSNY exams in 1999,2003,2007.

For all those taking the test, good luck. There is nothing really to prep for it, asides from the Passbook series study guide or prior civil service test taking. The book will show what to expect & format they have used. If your unfamiliar with reading mil time, analog gauges, it may be helpful, everyone is different. If your library has it, why not look at it?

One really important thing to keep in mind, is TAKE YOUR TIME, go over the test as many times as possible, using all the allotted time if you feel necessary.... Correct answers, & time of registering FOR the test are important, not how fast you finished.. On some questions, they will give you a paragraph of information or scenario, then questions in which you need to extract the best answer from the info GIVEN not necessarily the correct or best answer based on prior or personal knowledge or experience.

I took the 1st OC TO Test, Jan 8,2000. If I remember correctly, 24k registered for it, 18k sat for it.

I used the Passbook guide. I was just over 1000 on the list, & hired Mar 2003. With this economy & the NY POST daily editorial rantings of how 'sweet transit workers have it' (ROTF), I'd expect even more people to take this test than ever before..

For those not considering taking the test living in the NYC area..

I met a finance guy working as a cashier in a retail store. I was in uniform & he asked me about the MTA. He's loaded up on degrees & student loans, told him about the test, he's taking it..

I know 2 guys only registered for a test, to make sure a relative registered & went for a test, and they wound up with the job, not the relative. I personally know 2 lawyers working as TO's. We have all types, all ages.

Take the test, get a relative to, a friend, ya never know.. It may not be the job for everyone, but you wouldn't know until you've tried it..

For all those taking the test, good luck. There is nothing really to prep for it, asides from the Passbook series study guide or prior civil service test taking. The book will show what to expect & format they have used. If your unfamiliar with reading mil time, analog gauges, it may be helpful, everyone is different. If your library has it, why not look at it?

One really important thing to keep in mind, is TAKE YOUR TIME, go over the test as many times as possible, using all the allotted time if you feel necessary.... Correct answers, & time of registering FOR the test are important, not how fast you finished.. On some questions, they will give you a paragraph of information or scenario, then questions in which you need to extract the best answer from the info GIVEN not necessarily the correct or best answer based on prior or personal knowledge or experience.

I took the 1st OC TO Test, Jan 8,2000. If I remember correctly, 24k registered for it, 18k sat for it.

I used the Passbook guide. I was just over 1000 on the list, & hired Mar 2003. With this economy & the NY POST daily editorial rantings of how 'sweet transit workers have it' (ROTF), I'd expect even more people to take this test than ever before..

For those not considering taking the test living in the NYC area..

I met a finance guy working as a cashier in a retail store. I was in uniform & he asked me about the MTA. He's loaded up on degrees & student loans, told him about the test, he's taking it..

I know 2 guys only registered for a test, to make sure a relative registered & went for a test, and they wound up with the job, not the relative. I personally know 2 lawyers working as TO's. We have all types, all ages.

Take the test, get a relative to, a friend, ya never know.. It may not be the job for everyone, but you wouldn't know until you've tried it..

Very strong words of encouragement. Thank you.

Archived