Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the way I'm looking at it, not knowing unless I try. I've always wanted to operate a train, and I can use a break off the ambulance.

I hope I get called before I lose my mind though.....

If your with a city ambulance service, your time may count. A TO I knew came down with Hopkins Lymphoma after 8 years of service, but had 3-4 prior years as an EMT with the city, for 11-12 total service, qualifying him for disability pension..Also, be aware, the TA will NOT back you if you respond to a situation in 'EMT' mode rather than reg TO mode.. Anything goes wrong, no matter how much schooling, credentials you have from elsewhere, If the TA didn't qualify you for such a task, you'll be out there by yourself.. You need to protect yourself first.. MTA backwards is ATM to scammers & lawyers.. Your just a key into the cash register..

As far as always wanting to operate, a school car instructor told me they had a student from higher on the list like that. The guy was older, already retired off another career, didn't need to work, but grew up riding the system & always wanted to operate. He did his school car stint, then worked the road for a few months, then resigned, with a BIG smile & moved to Florida..

No problem, Urban. There's no secret to getting the job, no secret to keeping it either. Know your job, work as taught, and you'll be OK.. If you want to rebellious, fight authority, get a small notebook & write everything down. After your probation is over, 1 year, get active, possibly join up with the union or fellow activists & knock'em out! Until probation is done tho, toe the line, operate safely & slowly as needed, & learn the job, because the unions hands are tied until probation ends pretty much. Also, civil service probation is 3 years! They can review your prior job history/ references/application until then. If there is some discrepancy, they will question you & upon your answers, you can still loose you job under 3 years of service. It happened to a conductor a few years back. Military guy, hon discharge, already did over 2 years as conductor. They found something on him, and he was terminated. Be honest on the app. As long as there are no 'active' legal issues, there usually inst a problem..

I want to correct my earlier post, I was a Mar '02 hire, not Mar '03 as I earlier stated. I re-read the post & realized I goofed, but I can't find an edit feature on the forum..

RTTO

Does anybody know the book to study the 8090 test?

the book will not help you on the test because the book is technical Q&A that is more information for when you start, while the test questions are reading comprehension, basic math, and professional courtesy. the only part of the book that MAY help you is the very beginning where they tell you how the civil service testing day process goes.

if you still want it, or you're interested in learning about the job go to passbooks, but it's not going to help you with the test

If anyone could give me an honest answer for this question. I am planning on taking the test for T/O in June. I live in Colorado, and would move back to NY if I was called up. I am 52 years old. If the waiting time is up to 4 or 5 years. would I be looked at being too old to even start a career as a T/O?

Would I be wasting my time flying to NY for the test?

Any answer would be appreciated.

I don't see any age restrictions in the notice of examination. If you can pass the medical, I don't see why the MTA would deny you. Though to be sure, wait for the other MTA employees on the board to answer your question.

If anyone could give me an honest answer for this question. I am planning on taking the test for T/O in June. I live in Colorado, and would move back to NY if I was called up. I am 52 years old. If the waiting time is up to 4 or 5 years. would I be looked at being too old to even start a career as a T/O?

Would I be wasting my time flying to NY for the test?

Any answer would be appreciated.

You can be hired at any age. These days alot of old people take these tests. But the older you are the more the TA medical department harasses you.

I just wanted to know, for the upcoming Train Operator exam, can I still register and take the test without having the required work experience, even if I plan on having it by the time I get called?

Basically, i will not meet the required work experience by the closing date to register for the test, but i will most likely have it by the time I get called. Can I still take the train operator exam, and what would i fill out on the work experience verification form?

Thank you

I just wanted to know, for the upcoming Train Operator exam, can I still register and take the test without having the required work experience, even if I plan on having it by the time I get called?

Basically, i will not meet the required work experience by the closing date to register for the test, but i will most likely have it by the time I get called. Can I still take the train operator exam, and what would i fill out on the work experience verification form?

Thank you

You must meet the eligibility requirements by March 24th 2009. It's a requirement and not optional. Your application will be marked as Not Eligible if it's discovered that you do not meet the requirements.

Then they changed it. Before you had to meet it by the time they called you to 180 Livingston for the drug and alcohol tests.........

But lets say for some god forbidden that you get sick and can't work again. The MTA puts you on disability?

Yes, but I don't think indefinitely. They will try to get you to do something else, and I would take it. That no layoff clause is gone, and the union I doubt will do too much fighting for you. You best get a lawyer and go broke using one of them.........

:cool: After reading this forum my questions have been answered. Now i understand what the Green book is for. I couldn't figure out how the heck you were supposed to know this stuff without having the job to begin with! Now I can sign up for the test with more confidence!

I've already signed up for mine the first day :)

Thanks for the posts too everyone.

Saves the 27 or so dollars on buying the book if we're doing the O/C.

I was wondering if the Promotional applies to all nyc employees? Like let's say you work in one agency in the IT dept. and then you want to transition into T/O for MTA, would I apply for O/C or Promotional?

I've already signed up for mine the first day :)

Thanks for the posts too everyone.

Saves the 27 or so dollars on buying the book if we're doing the O/C.

I was wondering if the Promotional applies to all nyc employees? Like let's say you work in one agency in the IT dept. and then you want to transition into T/O for MTA, would I apply for O/C or Promotional?

Promotionals are only for each individual agency. MTA promotionals are only for current MTA employees and so on and so forth for other agencies. You would be applying for the O/C exam.

Archived