Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

Just curious, if you don't know a question, do you guys skip the question or guess? I took the traffic exam had maybe 4 question not sure, but end up guessing, turn out all 4 were wrong.

Just wondering better to skip or guess in a exam like this where every question count where you get the job or not?

thanks

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you serious, you can score a 93 and not get called at all? Is the bus exam easier?

I heard that after you get your score, that they look at your education and work experience background? Do they rank that with your score and give you a number on the list based by those criteria? For example, two people with the same score, the one with a college degree and more work experience, would get a better number?

The last bus exam(4/08)there are only 3,757 eligibles(people who passed). The one before that on 06,the eligibles list was 4,885. I know somebody who got 6 answers wrong on the last bus exam,yet his list # is 170. I don't think the bus exam is easier but if you pass you will be on a much shorter list than for T/0 and have a much better chance of being called.

This will be my first NYC civil service exam, and I am actually coming from out of town (DC area) to take it. I read the civil service test is given in HS throughout NYC. Where are they usually given, or if it is different locations how do they assign locations? Also, due to the high number of people expected to take the test is there going to be a morning and afternoon session?

This will be my first NYC civil service exam, and I am actually coming from out of town (DC area) to take it. I read the civil service test is given in HS throughout NYC. Where are they usually given, or if it is different locations how do they assign locations? Also, due to the high number of people expected to take the test is there going to be a morning and afternoon session?
They do them at different high schools throughout NYC. They do 3 sessions. A morning, afternoon and evening session.

Well this isn't good. I checked my online application and now it says I have till April 7th to finish the education and experience form, a few days ago it had March 24th.

EDIT:

nevermind, just called DCAS, they said they extended it but that they have my application.

again with the tiebreaker situation. does anyone know the 2nd tiebreaker? meaning, if 1000 people all scored 100 on the test and all filed on March 4th, how do they determine who gets called first from THAT specific group of people?

There is no second tie breaker. If 1000 people all file on the same day they did NOT all file at the exact same time.

i always thought if you are the first ones to file first you get first shot if you scored a high score than the ones that filed later on but i dont think this is true because one of the bus operator applications i filed with mabstoa i sent in 40.00 the first day really 2 days before it was due and i got a number in the high 5,000s im glad i took exam 8006 and got low 700s list number i not really sure my lat name begins with a w so im thinking what happened with the mabstoa and i was first to file it could be that they go by your last name im not sure i even spoke to someone at livingston st a while a go they told me something different then i heard another person say another thing im just as confused as you sorry i cant answer that correctly:(

i always thought if you are the first ones to file first you get first shot if you scored a high score than the ones that filed later on but i dont think this is true because one of the bus operator applications i filed with mabstoa i sent in 40.00 the first day really 2 days before it was due and i got a number in the high 5,000s im glad i took exam 8006 and got low 700s list number i not really sure my lat name begins with a w so im thinking what happened with the mabstoa and i was first to file it could be that they go by your last name im not sure i even spoke to someone at livingston st a while a go they told me something different then i heard another person say another thing im just as confused as you sorry i cant answer that correctly:(

For civil service tests the tie breaker for exact same test scores is the filing date. There are hundreds of people that get identical scores on all of these tests this how they seperate them on the list.

Remember your test score means NOTHING, your list number means EVERYTHING!!

I'm flying from Colorado for this test. If I get luckly to become a T/O in the future, I will give up everything to relocate to NYC.

I hope you have a wife with a good job or family in the area to help you because relocating to NY is way to expensive for the T/O salary.

My last name starts with a V and your last name starts with a W...your list number is a little bit higher than mine so maybe that is how they did it for exam #8006.

There is a class offered thru this place

Removed by the administrator

Sent a deposit in and still havent heard anything. When I called I was told there would be a class starting in April

Through what place? An email address. Not a smart move. Don't be surprised if you don't here anything from them again. :)

Archived