Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25/55 is the rule. 25 years of work, and at least 55 years of age and you can retire and get 50% of your normal pay. every additional year you work that % goes up by I think 1.5% (T/O's correct me if I'm wrong). Whether that's "physically taxing" is up to you decide...you ready to walk tracks, lift heavy coupler adapters, hook down stop arms, climb onto trains from the roadbed, and deal with the public? :P

i mean that for instance trades people (plumbers, electricians, etc.) are "physically taxing" titles which get additional percentage taken out of their paychecks (thus can retire after only 25 years of service). i was just wondering if T/Os have the same option on their pensions.

i mean that for instance trades people (plumbers, electricians, etc.) are "physically taxing" titles which get additional percentage taken out of their paychecks (thus can retire after only 25 years of service). i was just wondering if T/Os have the same option on their pensions.

No we are all civil servants under a tier 4 pension plan. According to the government being a T/O and breathing in all of the toxic stuff everyday isn't harmful or stressful, that's why we can't get either 20 and out or 25/50.

I used a clerk as an example because that is one of the easiest jobs and T/O is one of the most stressful with the most responsibility but both titles have the exact same pension plan. 25/55

No we are all civil servants under a tier 4 pension plan. According to the government being a T/O and breathing in all of the toxic stuff everyday isn't harmful or stressful, that's why we can't get either 20 and out or 25/50.

I used a clerk as an example because that is one of the easiest jobs and T/O is one of the most stressful with the most responsibility but both titles have the exact same pension plan. 25/55

If you think about it,it is similar to what firemen breathe in,they have the 20 yr pension as well as 3/4 disability pension. T/O's don't wear respirators,etc like firemen do.

What happens if you start at age 40? You have to retire at age 65 to get full pension (50% of normal pay)? You have to walk tracks as a train operator? :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------

25/55 is the rule. 25 years of work, and at least 55 years of age and you can retire and get 50% of your normal pay. every additional year you work that % goes up by I think 1.5% (T/O's correct me if I'm wrong). Whether that's "physically taxing" is up to you decide...you ready to walk tracks, lift heavy coupler adapters, hook down stop arms, climb onto trains from the roadbed, and deal with the public?

What happens if you start at age 40? You have to retire at age 65 to get full pension (50% of normal pay)? You have to walk tracks as a train operator? :P

Yes to get the full pension you must complete 25 years of service with the TA. It doesn't matter what your age is.

Yes T/O's walk the tracks in all weather and different conditions.

Like Jah's signature says "This is a job NOT a hobby!". Can't expect this job to be easy or a breeze.

It's true. But once you get enough seniority you can pick jobs that you will only have to walk the tracks if something goes wrong. You can get your train right off of the stand for all of your trips.

When you're new you work all jobs so you have to get put ins, lay up trains, work the yards, plus if something goes wrong on the road you have to investigate regardless of train traffic on adjacent tracks.

thank you for the info everyone. what exactly "walking the tracks" means??

Exactly what it says. You will have to walk along the tracks to perform some parts of your job, like getting a train out of a yard, returning after laying one up in a yard, or inspecting your train. You will have to walk underground tracks in the tunnel, tracks at grade level, and elevated tracks in all kinds of weather, with train traffic coming, and have to know flagging and other safety procedures to do it right...they will train you in all of this once you start if you get (and take) the job.

Just like you experance Brakes in Emergency on the WillyB (J)(M)(Z) on a rainy and windy night as a Train Operator you still must walk around that train.

that happen to your train or are you just giving an example? (wonders if there's an interesting story behind this post)

No it didn't happen to me but lots of other especially on the Manhattan Bridge but Willy B its harder to walk around not much clearance. If the wind hits that tripping device the wrong way you hear that chow and its a sinking feeling in your stomach knowing you have to walk the bridge,

No it didn't happen to me but lots of other especially on the Manhattan Bridge but Willy B its harder to walk around not much clearance. If the wind hits that tripping device the wrong way you hear that chow and its a sinking feeling in your stomach knowing you have to walk the bridge,

There is clearance on the Willy B? I could have sworn all the catwalks had the no clearance strip on it.

Actually the (J) line looks like it'd be good to work. It's grown on me over the years. All the nice above ground views, lots of history along the line to look at, and decent run times. Sure there's timers but there's timers everywhere. Plus as DOB said, it's cool looking behind you and seeing the back of your train rounding a curve..must be cool at the Crescent St. curve. Not to mention there are plenty of places to eat around Chambers and Parsons. Not sure about Broad St. (I'd imagine it is too) because I haven't gotten out around there in quite some time.

They have there safety vest and a flashlight. If you have to walk around your train on the main line, RCC should also alert trains in the area that your on the tracks. Sometimes T/Os will walk from a station to the yard (Union Turnpike to Jamaica Yard) and according to the rules, when doing this they don't need flagging protection. Also, why would you need rat replant when you have a shoe slipper?

Archived