LIRR railcar impaled by crossing gate

metsfan

"Gusts as high as 65 mph were reported Thursday, disrupting the morning rail commute in the New York City area. Four people were hurt, apparently by flying glass, when the wind blew a crossing gate into a Long Island Rail Road train."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090213/ap_on_re_us/wild_wind

----------

This is the windiest day i can remember in my life. I'm just glad it wasn't too cold and snowing. That would have been a total disaster.

- (A)

• 2 weeks later...
This wasn't a bilevel.

I'm pretty sure that it was. The other incident with utility pole was M7. There's no way a lowered crossing gate could reach up to even the bottom of the window on a single level car. They are usually ~2 feet below the window. Plus, i know that crossing, and the gates are about half way between the road & bottom of the window on the M7's.

If it was a M7 the gate must have been broken and not settled all the way or something.

- A

I'm pretty sure that it was. The other incident with utility pole was M7. There's no way a lowered crossing gate could reach up to even the bottom of the window on a single level car. They are usually ~2 feet below the window. Plus, i know that crossing, and the gates are about half way between the road & bottom of the window on the M7's.

If it was a M7 the gate must have been broken and not settled all the way or something.

- A

It was the 7:23 AM out of KO. MU train.

Conversely the utility pole incident involved a diesel in Albertson, not an M7.

Humm, that is although old news but hope no one's hurt and I also believe the LIRR should have the crossings renovated so there won't be any road traffic and rail traffic disrupted...

The only way to do that would be to elevate the line & add elevated stations. Not really practical.

- A

Yes, that is what I mean and it is practical, California is doing it why not us in New York?

Have you ever been on the main line? Do you realize how much would have to be done to even begin to elevate the LIRR outside of NYC? How would you propose to have service run on the line when the tracks would need to be torn up & the stations removed & replaced? Not only is there no space to build around the tracks if you wanted to build the elevated then tear up the tracks on the ground, but the soil wouldn't support such a structure without major underpinnings. There is no bedrock. What should happen is the existing ROW made safer.

- A

In case anyone needed a visual aide in figuring out how a crossing gate could hit the window of a train in the vicinity of bethpage.

LIRR_bi-level_coaches.jpg

The gates on broadway are about 5 feet shorter, but the same height from the road. I believe the height of the guards from the road are FRA specified.

- A

I have been many times, I know how much and it would be bridges just like Highways... But only service would be a issue but these grade crossings are dangerous, :P!

I guess a loose screw or something...

It's all most good that this happened vs hitting the front, because if it hit the front, the impact would likely have made the gate stand junk & have to be replaced. While this is done i believe federal law requires a rail vehicle or police etc to block the lane to traffic. Imagine one gate goes down & the other one isn't there so cars still cross! :confused: Not good!

- A

Have you ever been on the main line? Do you realize how much would have to be done to even begin to elevate the LIRR outside of NYC? How would you propose to have service run on the line when the tracks would need to be torn up & the stations removed & replaced? Not only is there no space to build around the tracks if you wanted to build the elevated then tear up the tracks on the ground, but the soil wouldn't support such a structure without major underpinnings. There is no bedrock. What should happen is the existing ROW made safer.

- A

Eliminating grade crossing will cause a lot of disruption, time and money. The LIRR needs the dough for improved service and safety.

Archived