Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Forest Glen

Megabus

Yesterday I made a reservation for a New York to DC roundtrip on Megabus. The trip will take place in March. The total cost was $16.50. I'm very happy that I spent so little but I'm just curious as to how Megabus makes a profit even though the prices are so low.

It's non-stop, and people pay up to 45 dollars one way. Not much overhead aside from fuel and bus driver payroll. Booking way in advance on a time of day that isn't commuter oriented will render those way cheap prices. GLad you are satisfied with the price, and good luck on your trip! B)

- A

If Forest Glen really likes the Megabus i may try myself in April on a railfan trip to either Boston or DC. Or even to Toronto for visit to see relatives later in summer.

Yesterday I made a reservation for a New York to DC roundtrip on Megabus. The trip will take place in March. The total cost was $16.50. I'm very happy that I spent so little but I'm just curious as to how Megabus makes a profit even though the prices are so low.

I love Megabus alot!! I travel with them all the time on day trips to other cites. I either pay $2 round trip and sometimes its free. If anyone want to try them out, Megabus has a special on select bus rides up to March 19th. Enter the promo code GREENBUS and your trip is free!!!!

I love Megabus alot!! I travel with them all the time on day trips to other cites. I either pay $2 round trip and sometimes its free. If anyone want to try them out, Megabus has a special on select bus rides up to March 19th. Enter the promo code GREENBUS and your trip is free!!!!

FREE? Wow!

The other reason why they make a profit is that they don't pay the fees for a terminal unlike at Port Authority Bus Terminal. They now clog up my neighborhood of 34th street every f...ing day!! They along with BoltBus and DCNY Bus Service are like Chinatown Buses except with newer fleets. They all use 34th street as their bus terminal and that red bus only lane is completely wasted by these buses as a terminal. Megabus also uses 31 & 33rd streets between 7 & 8th aves as well. BoltBus uses 34th Between 8 & 9th aves. DCNY uses 34th st between 7 & 8th aves. This area will soon be referred to Penn Station Bus Terminal PSBT!

The other reason why they make a profit is that they don't pay the fees for a terminal unlike at Port Authority Bus Terminal. They now clog up my neighborhood of 34th street every f...ing day!! They along with BoltBus and DCNY Bus Service are like Chinatown Buses except with newer fleets. They all use 34th street as their bus terminal and that red bus only lane is completely wasted by these buses as a terminal. Megabus also uses 31 & 33rd streets between 7 & 8th aves as well. BoltBus uses 34th Between 8 & 9th aves. DCNY uses 34th st between 7 & 8th aves. This area will soon be referred to Penn Station Bus Terminal PSBT!

Correct, as i said, not much operating cost aside from fuel and payroll.

- A

As an interesting side note, here's a list of all of the low-cost inter-city services departing from the Penn Station/Herald Sqaure area:

32nd & Broadway:

Boston Deluxe (Boston/Hartford)

Tony Coach (Baltimore/DC)

33rd & 7th Avenue NE Corner by Sbarro:

BoltBus (DC)

33rd & 7th Avenue SW Corner:

Eastern Shuttle/Coach USA (DC/Virginia)

34th btwn 6th & 7th at Macy's:

AA Bus/ Double Happiness (Wilmington/Baltimore)

34th btwn 7th & 8th Avenue:

DC2NY (DC)

31st & 8th at Penn Station SE entrance:

Megabus P/U (Hartford/Boston, Upstate NY/Toronto, Philly, DC)

Vamoose (Arlington,VA, Bethesda, MD)

MVP Bus (DC/Baltimore)

Tripper Bus (Arlington, VA, Bethesda, MD)

34th & 8th at the New Yorker Hotel

BoltBus (Boston, Philly)

Washington Deluxe (DC)