Good laptop to buy?

Dave160

I was looking at laptops to buy and came across this one and I really liked it, the Samsung R610. I want a second opinion, so tell me what you think.

Here are the specs:

General

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0GHz

Screen 16"

Memory Size 3GB DDR3

Hard Disk 250GB

Optical Drive Dual Layer DVD Burner

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

Video Memory 512MB GDDR2

Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN

Card slot 1 x Express Card

Dimensions 14.9" x 10.4" x 1.25-1.51"

Weight 6.1 lbs.

CPU

CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo

CPU Speed T5800(2.00GHz)

CPU FSB 800MHz

CPU L2 Cache 2MB

Display

Screen Size 16"

Wide Screen Support Yes

LCD Features 16:9, Gloss, 250 nits

Resolution 1366 x 768

Operating Systems

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

Graphics

GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

Video Memory 512MB GDDR2

Graphic Type Dedicated Card

Hard Drive

HDD 250GB

HD RPM 5400rpm

HD Interface SATA

Memory

Memory Speed DDR2 800

Memory 3GB

Max Memory Supported 4GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type Dual layer DVD Burner

Optical Drive Interface Integrated

Communications

Modem 56Kbps V.92

LAN 10/100/1000Mbps

WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Ports

Card Slot 1 x Express Card 54 slot

USB 4

Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI

Audio Ports 1 x Microphone jack; 1 x Headphone jack

Audio

Audio HD Audio

Internal Mic

Speaker 4 W (2 W x 2)

Input Device

Keyboard 89 Key (Silver Nano Anti-Bacteria Keyboard) w/ dedicated 10 key numeric keypad

Supplemental Drive

Card Reader 3 in 1 Card Slot (MS, SD, SDHC)

Power

AC Adapter 90-watt, 100~240 VAC, 50-60Hz, AutoSensing

Battery 6-cell lithium ion

Physical spec

Dimensions 14.9" x 10.4" x 1.25-1.51"

Weight 6.1 lbs.

Features

Software Included Samsung Recovery Solution III, Samsung Magic Doctor, Samsung Update Plus Easy Display Manger, Easy Battery Manager, Easy Network Manager, Easy SpeedUp Manager

McAfee Virus Scan, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (free 60-day trial)

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts 1 year limited

Labor 1 year limited

samsung-r610-notebook.jpg

Its Priced at around $799 at newegg.

Do you want to order the laptop online. If so, I would go with Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com

They have laptops (starting at $379) and Netbooks (starting at $239). There's one computer that has even better specs

eMachines E620-5885 Notebook PC - AMD Athlon 2650e CPU 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Webcam, Vista Home Basic $399.97

Gateway M-6332 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2390 1.86GHz, Bluetooth, 802.11g WLAN, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Webcam, Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium (Red) $499.99

This is just a little bit of what they have. I wouldn't trust newegg that well.

And if you want to buy from a store, head to Best Buy (have the same specs for cheaper prices) or Circuit City (in which is now 30% off on all laptops and will depend upon store).

From what I've seen, it's usually better to order straight from the companies but it seems nice otherwise. What's the catch though for getting all that for 800 bucks though? Also you should check reviews for anyone who's already owned one.

And you don't need the McAfee. Other than that, the bloatware is minimum which is surprising.

Do you want to order the laptop online. If so, I would go with Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com

They have laptops (starting at $379) and Netbooks (starting at $239). There's one computer that has even better specs

eMachines E620-5885 Notebook PC - AMD Athlon 2650e CPU 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Webcam, Vista Home Basic $399.97

Gateway M-6332 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2390 1.86GHz, Bluetooth, 802.11g WLAN, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Webcam, Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium (Red) $499.99

This is just a little bit of what they have. I wouldn't trust newegg that well.

And if you want to buy from a store, head to Best Buy (have the same specs for cheaper prices) or Circuit City (in which is now 30% off on all laptops and will depend upon store).

I wouldn't do Best Buy or Circuit City...especially Circuit City...you don't go out and buy a laptop from a place that's going under. You need to give a week to even test out a laptop before you return it and even at that Circuit is no longer accepting returns. Best Buy--I've had friends have problems from laptops they bought from there and there's no customization really available. Not to mention I wouldn't rely that much on Best Buy...you have to be lucky to find someone there who actually knows their ass from their elbow.

I wouldn't do Best Buy or Circuit City...especially Circuit City...you don't go out and buy a laptop from a place that's going under. You need to give a week to even test out a laptop before you return it and even at that Circuit is no longer accepting returns. Best Buy--I've had friends have problems from laptops they bought from there and there's no customization really available. Not to mention I wouldn't rely that much on Best Buy...you have to be lucky to find someone there who actually knows their ass from their elbow.

circuit city is about to go out of business. what can you buy there? i went to the one at union square earlier this week and everything was gone!

That is not bad of a laptop with the DDR3 memory and such but do you really need to go for tha much for a laptop. It would be better if you bought something more budget friendly like a Toshiba(I have something that has similar specs of the computer you put and it was about $300 less). But that is my opinion. Otherwise go for it.

Best Buy is not a bad place to buy a laptop from. When I bought a Toshiba laptop from them, it worked fine. I never had any problems with it. They also gave me simple advice, like backing up your stuff and such...Circuit City however...worst place you want to buy anything from there (even though they are closing down) The first weekend I went there, everything was overpriced and some of the specs on their computers and laptops sucks. At least i didn't buy anything from Circuit City.

Newegg.com > any online or retail store.

Second this. Newegg has great deals on laptops, plus cheap upgrades (that 5400rpm HD is slow as poop going uphill on a frozen january morning). Other than that, I would check out refurbed Dell Latitudes on Dells outlet site. Don't be fooled by the Dell name, the Latitudes are real laptops, tough and dependable.

Archived