(A) Line Super Express Question

trainspot12

Since the Rockaways is becoming more populated and eventually will need more trains to run over there, I think they should consider making a third track between Far Rockaway and Grant Avenue.

Every other train would be express during peak hours (like the (6)<6> line). It would be express from Far Rockaway to Grant, stopping at Broad Channel, Howard Beach, Rockaway Blvd, and Grant Avenue.

Any other suggestions!

I think they should extend the (C) train out to Lefferts Blvd and make the (A) train go out to the Rockaways only. The 3rd track is already there and I believe its perfectly usable. (I should know as I've had a few experiences where my train had to go onto that track). I believe that 3rd track goes under the Grant Avenue station and routes itself to Euclid Avenue from there. This is just a theory on my part because I haven't seen the track completely. Any T/O could probably correct me or agree with me. But I think it's there and just needs to be worked on. They could run (A) trains on it in peak direction (AM to Manhattan, PM from Manhattan) and have (C) trains run out to Lefferts Blvd. In theory that should eliminate the annoyance of having to wait for an (A) train that goes out there as well as the other way around. The (C) used to go out to Rockaway Park I believe. I'm kind of at odds why they stopped doing that. [Could be because of the Rock Park (S)] But yeah that's what I think: (C) to Lefferts, (A) to Far Rock/Rock Park - during rush hours.

Those two sets of tracks after Rockaway Blvd going in that direction? I'll have to take the ride again sometime to refresh myself but a lot of those tracks didn't look usable. Would take some serious work. Mind you I'd love to see it done just because...by the way thanks for informing me on that 3rd track. Sometimes I think it would be neat to just go down there and explore all those tunnels.

From Rockaway Ave to Mott of beach 116th Street there is no express track. The 3rd track you see is either the test track out on the flats or the relay track at Broad Channel for the Rockaway (S). Adding a third track would be very difficult because of the bridges and the Broad Channel staion, but it would be easy on the flats and that about it. A peak direction skip-stop could be put into place but it would make (C) a very long route. also the middle track on the Liberty Ave. El is use less because going north bound, if feeds right into Pitkin yard and is not level with the 2 revenue tracks from Grant Ave. to 80th Street. making it hard to put in a switch.

There is no demand for an express service in the Rockaways, even with "growing population". Those stations are still the least used in the system. The current service is enough. If there is a need for more service, the (MTA) will send one extra train per hour there.

I think they should extend the (C) train out to Lefferts Blvd and make the (A) train go out to the Rockaways only. The 3rd track is already there and I believe its perfectly usable. (I should know as I've had a few experiences where my train had to go onto that track). I believe that 3rd track goes under the Grant Avenue station and routes itself to Euclid Avenue from there. This is just a theory on my part because I haven't seen the track completely. Any T/O could probably correct me or agree with me. But I think it's there and just needs to be worked on. They could run (A) trains on it in peak direction (AM to Manhattan, PM from Manhattan) and have (C) trains run out to Lefferts Blvd. In theory that should eliminate the annoyance of having to wait for an (A) train that goes out there as well as the other way around. The (C) used to go out to Rockaway Park I believe. I'm kind of at odds why they stopped doing that. [Could be because of the Rock Park (S)] But yeah that's what I think: (C) to Lefferts, (A) to Far Rock/Rock Park - during rush hours.

The C going to Lefferts is a good idea, however, the community at Ozone Park demands for a one seat express service to Manhattan.

I wouldn't want this plan regardless. I don't live in Ozone Park where the (A) runs but I can tell you this:

Nobody in their right minds would want to hop out of a train at Rockaway Blvd, just to get the local that makes the 3 stops to Lefferts Blvd. I wouldn't want to be the one heading home all the way from Manhattan and/or Brooklyn getting out for another train. If this plan would be implemented, many will end up taking the (E) to Jamaica Center to get the Q112 which serves the 3 stops between Lefferts and Rockaway Blvd.

The alternate (A) service between Lefferts and Far Rockaway, the (C) to Euclid, and the late nite (A) shuttle is good enough as it is.

When you think about it though, some people probably end up changing at Rockaway Blvd anyway just alternating between (A) trains if they should live in Ozone/Rockaways. The concept behind it is just knowing when the train pulls up you don't hope its the (A) train thats going to Lefferts/JFK. You kinda just know. But AWWang's idea was probably better and considering the (C) used to do that (when i was like 6) it's not like it hasnt been done before.

Also as an example...I see a decent amount of people hop the (2)/(3) to Chambers from uptown then change for the (1) to travel that 1 or 2 extra stops to Rector/South Ferry. So I didn't think there would be much of difference changing at Rock Blvd or just getting a (C) train flat out to go to Ozone. I'd like to think most people would rather get off and wait for that train than transfer to a bus if they don't have to. Just something I figured I'd put out there.

I feel the (A) should run as usual to Far Rockaway and Lefferts Blvd. while the (C) should be extended to Rockaway Park to remove the shuttle. Since the (MTA) has two other shuttles already, also minimizing confusion...

And how is how the 3 Shuttles confusing? There's the 42nd Street (S)huttle, Franklin Avenue (S)huttle and Rockaway Park (S)huttle...oh yeah I see how confusing is that!

the Franklin Ave Shuttle and 42nd Shuttle is pretty straight forward. It doesn't happen often but I have had people ask me about getting to Rockaway Park from the (A) thinking it goes out there all the time. But its more of an annoyance waiting for the shuttle sometimes than it is confusing. Some people just don't navigate the subways well. My roommate's been living here a lot longer than I have and I sometimes have to help him out.

Well the BMT/IND should have one and the IRT should have one... Since the Rockaway shuttle is just, well, regardless if it is confusing or not, it is still somewhat of a thing that confuses people... Weather an (A) is the shuttle or the (S) is the shuttle since it is on the same line... :P!

The 3 (S)huttles can't confuse ppl....durrr they run in 3 different boroughs and sections of New York City

Well the BMT/IND should have one and the IRT should have one... Since the Rockaway shuttle is just, well, regardless if it is confusing or not, it is still somewhat of a thing that confuses people... Weather an (A) is the shuttle or the (S) is the shuttle since it is on the same line... :P!

The 3 (S)huttles can't confuse ppl....durrr they run in 3 different boroughs and sections of New York City

Agree with CurAke. There's nothing confusing about three shuttles that don't even come close to each other.

Regardless of confusion... The (C) should run to Rockaway Park to reduce costs of running extra shuttles... Maybe run the (C) bypassing 80th Street and Aqueduct (Racetrack and North Conduit)...

Dude what are you talking about? Those (S)huttles been running for a very long long long time....back in the mid-90's all they did was turn the (H) into a (S) and thats it. 2nd why make the (C) super express to Broad Channel when Rockaway Blvd is an inportant stop. Aqueduct Racetrack is bypassed on the (A) most of the times when its a seasonal station and Aqueduct-North Conduit Avenue is an important also for customers who need the Q11 or live in the area!

Regardless of confusion... The (C) should run to Rockaway Park to reduce costs of running extra shuttles... Maybe run the (C) bypassing 80th Street and Aqueduct (Racetrack and North Conduit)...

The new expenses of extending the (C) negate those of getting rid of the other shuttle. It's cheaper to leave things as it is right now.

Archived