Moving from B/O to T/O

SIZ

I am a bus operator out of Spring Creek and wanted to know which are the senior routes and which are the junior routes?

Also what can a rookie T/O expect during his first year on the job as far as picking?

I should be making my move from surface to rapid really soon and I can't wait.

Thanks!

I am a bus operator out of Spring Creek and wanted to know which are the senior routes and which are the junior routes?

Also what can a rookie T/O expect during his first year on the job as far as picking?

I should be making my move from surface to rapid really soon and I can't wait.

Thanks!

First off, Congrats on yur promotion! As far as picking a job for the first year..FORGET IT!!! You will be Xtra Xtra! They will send you anywhere in the system where they need you.Yur days off and yur tour will change when they(crewroom) feels like changing it.T/O seniority moves VERY slow.B) I don't know how it is in the Bus dept. but it's d@mn near impossible to get a day off down here.The JOB itself is ok but just like anywhere else it's the politics and the people(not all) that can put a cloud over things..I give B/O all the respect in the world because it can be dangerous and I for one wouldn't wan't to be be around all those customers for 8+ hrs. a day.Lock me in my Box!! Iam thee INVISIBLE man..:)

First off, Congrats on yur promotion!

Thank you but I have not actually been promoted yet. It should be soon though.

Would you be able to tell me which routes the senior operators usually choose and which routes the rooks usually get left with?

Would you be able to tell me which routes the senior operators usually choose and which routes the rooks usually get left with?

That's a tough one...:confused: This system is so big that you have guys all over the place.I've noticed that people tend to pick jobs that are the closest to their home.The senior guys try to pick the money jobs(9-10hrs.pay).When it's time to pick,rooks prob. will get left with the garbage.:)

A Div., I as a rookie forced on Mid-nights (and they don't seem to want to let me off to PM's), have seen the 1, 4, and 6, most of the time. The 7 I see rarely. The 5 and 3 I haven't seen in months. They do a DX (District Extra) first, before RX (Road Extra aka Extra Extra). The DX means you will work one side for 1 to 2 months, then switch and do the other. At least that is what happened to my class........

The senior men pick all of the "money" jobs first. If the job pays 9 hours or more it is gone in the first 3 days of a 3 month long pick. After the money jobs senior men pick yard jobs followed by station switching jobs.

It doesn't matter how bad a job is if they make it pay 9-10 hours these guys will pick it quick.

As for the rookies they don't pick at all for anywhere from 2-5 years. Then they most likely get the very end of the vacation relief list if it's the winter pick or the opto vacation relief list.

Most B/O's go back because T/O is the slowest moving title in the system and it is so hard to get any days off in RTO.

First off, Congrats on yur promotion! As far as picking a job for the first year..FORGET IT!!! You will be Xtra Xtra! They will send you anywhere in the system where they need you.Yur days off and yur tour will change when they(crewroom) feels like changing it.T/O seniority moves VERY slow.B) I don't know how it is in the Bus dept. but it's d@mn near impossible to get a day off down here.The JOB itself is ok but just like anywhere else it's the politics and the people(not all) that can put a cloud over things..I give B/O all the respect in the world because it can be dangerous and I for one wouldn't wan't to be be around all those customers for 8+ hrs. a day.Lock me in my Box!! Iam thee INVISIBLE man..B)

Yo Nascar...about crew room when your extra extra...do they give you your days off week to week (tell you on say Sunday what your days off are the following week) or can they change it whenever (call you up on Tuesday afternoon and tell you your working Wednesday after all)...just been wondering on that one

A Div., I as a rookie forced on Mid-nights (and they don't seem to want to let me off to PM's), have seen the 1, 4, and 6, most of the time. The 7 I see rarely. The 5 and 3 I haven't seen in months. They do a DX (District Extra) first, before RX (Road Extra aka Extra Extra). The DX means you will work one side for 1 to 2 months, then switch and do the other. At least that is what happened to my class........
Are you SERIOUS??? You didn't get P.M.'s yet?? We talked about this like a month ago!!!They should be happy you wan't PM's! SOB's...:mad:

Yo Nascar...about crew room when your extra extra...do they give you your days off week to week (tell you on say Sunday what your days off are the following week) or can they change it whenever (call you up on Tuesday afternoon and tell you your working Wednesday after all)...just been wondering on that one
You got it! Yur working on a week to week basis.I call every Friday to see what my days off are and the tour for the next week.EVERYTHING is subject to change...

The A division senior lines are the (3)(5) and (6) if I remember correctly. In the B Division the senior lines are (;)(C)(H) and (W), as said in earlier posts seniority moves slow for T/O.

My best suggestion when you get that chance to pick is to pick Vacation Relief a good friend of mine who's been a T/O for 5 years now picked on his 3rd year VR and he gets his weekends off as he told me you gotta know how to bid. During your time as extra you will be all over the place it gets rough at times specially in the B division. I never called the screw office on Sundays to see if my RDO's are changed even tho the motor instructors suggested we do when I was in School Car I wish you luck and hope to see ya out there.:tup:

The A division senior lines are the (3)(5) and (6) if I remember correctly. In the B Division the senior lines are (;)(C)(H) and (W), as said in earlier posts seniority moves slow for T/O.

You're talking about for conductor right? Because for T/O the most senior lines are the A, D, F which are the lines with the most money jobs.

These lines have the most 3 digit file number operators.

B Div (A)(:)(D)(F)(J)(Q) Lines for T/O's.

My personal experance with my senority 4 years in title as a T/O I can't pick the (B)(D) Lines Uptown and the (A) 207 (Q) AM's. Can't really pick the (V) AMs but PM's all RDO REL job are available because its 3 trips and lay up for 8 HRS and I do it in 8 Hrs. Now the Line that is wide open to me on any tour is the (C)(E)(F)(L)(R) Lines with the (L) I have the most choice even could have gotten 3 short trips straight job open for me but didn't take it because of CBTC.

Lucky this is Not MaBSTOA , seeing that mabstoa isnt fully apart of the MTA one of the Gun Hill dept supervisor told me [a friend of mine] as u will then be wasting another 5 yrs on the NYCT side from mabstoa, seeing u need 5 yrs work on MTA NYCTA side.

Dunno could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
High Senority for T/O's A Div

(2)(3)(4)(5) Lines. They Express , Get off the train at the other end exept the (5) but they got sweet jobs to make up for it, and pay money. It use to be the (3) was the highest but we need a follow up on that one lots of thing changed since I worked A Div.

(2),<5>,(4),(5),(3) pretty much in that order depending on tour and amount of trips. Some jobs on the (4) are 2 1/2 trips and some on the (3) are 3 trips but many of the jobs on these lines pay more than 8 hours.

Lucky this is Not MaBSTOA , seeing that mabstoa isnt fully apart of the MTA one of the Gun Hill dept supervisor told me [a friend of mine] as u will then be wasting another 5 yrs on the NYCT side from mabstoa, seeing u need 5 yrs work on MTA NYCTA side.

Dunno could be wrong.

OA is fully part of TA, but that 5 years thing becomes the tricky part. I say apply even if you only have 1 with OA, and no other experience. They will ask on the application, do you currently work for MTA OA TA or MTA Bus. They might just do 1 year then, since you will be hired promo anyways. I took it on the O/C, but was hired promo. All my vacation, sick, personal, AVA, and benefits came with me. Only the pension is different, and I will just freeze the OA one. Still have to do 29 years under 25/55.......

(2),<5>,(4),(5),(3) pretty much in that order depending on tour and amount of trips. Some jobs on the (4) are 2 1/2 trips and some on the (3) are 3 trips but many of the jobs on these lines pay more than 8 hours.

The 4 I do 1 trip, then lunch, WAA, Put-in, 1 last trip. So that means, 1 trip, go to yard, check train, eat breakfast, rest, then leave. Better to do it this way, so if they need a train to leave the yard earlier, just in case the road blows up N/B. Need S/B service, during the rush........

Archived