Should Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa & AROD be banned from MLB's Hall of Fame?

Shortline Bus

Why are you getting so worked up over this? So they'll get a permanent mark for their careers, that doesn't diminish their other years.

So if the person cheated, but still got A's for the other classes and had the highest gpa, wouldn't that person still be the valedictorian?

Its as easy as this, why should they be allowed in the hall of fame if they cheated? Theres no way to tell when they started and stopped taking steroids..

Its like having a musician in the rock and roll hall of fame who got caught for plagerism. You only know about the songs he got caught stealing from someone and claimed he wrote himself. Who knows about the other songs?

There is no way to accurately tell apart who actually did what from who and when and what kind of impact it had. There are pitchers in the hall of fame who threw spitballs, there are hitters who used greenies, and players could have been juicing long before the 90's for all we know. You live and you learn. The Hall of Fame is there to honor and respect the traditions and history of baseball. It is not some "moral" society that only the pure of heart enter or some other kind of BS like that, and the sportswriters that attempt to turn it into something that it is not are full of shit, and deserve to have their voting credentials revoked. Mind you, these are the same buffoons who didn't vote Roberto Alomar, one of the best second basemen of all time in, because they don't think he should have gotten in first ballot, but most agree that he will get in before his ineligibility is up. Now explain that stupidity to me. Explain the idiot that voted Derek Jeter 6th in the MVP in 2006, which cost him the MVP.

These idiot writers continue to push their personal opinions on people with their articles, their voting and their phony moral compass. 99% of them would have juiced had they been in the locker room with those players and they worshipped these guys when they hit all the home runs and never once turned anything but a blind eye...but now that it is convenient they are holier than thou...

Baseball is the only sport that does this riduculousness. Shawne Merriman in the NFL gets caught juicing, suspended 8 games, he comes back? So what he's still a good player... Baseball they'd be trying to figure out what his sack and tackle totals would have been if he wasn't on the juice and whether or not he should have made the Pro Bowl all those years...

Baseball is a great game but it is ass backwards about a lot of things, and the HOF is one of those things...

Anyone linked to the steroid scandal should be barred from the Hall of Fame. That includes A-Rod, even though he's a Yankee. It would be unfair to have a double standard.
But wouldn't be a double standard to ban them from the HOF when steroid-taking wasn't illegal in the MLB until 2005?

A-Rod, McGwire, Bonds (if he did it), and Clemens (if he did it) didn't break any MLB policy at the time. Banning them from the HOF for cheating would be hypocritical here. Pete Rose, on the other hand, was banned because he bet on the game, and that was clearly against MLB rules.

P.S.: Palmeiro was suspended for testing positive for steroids, but we don't know if he took them prior to 2005. (I think there was a report that Palmeiro was tested for steroids after the court appearance and came back negative. If that's true, let me know.)

Well said Subwayguy

But wouldn't be a double standard to ban them from the HOF when steroid-taking wasn't illegal in the MLB until 2005?

A-Rod, McGwire, Bonds (if he did it), and Clemens (if he did it) didn't break any MLB policy at the time. Banning them from the HOF for cheating would be hypocritical here. Pete Rose, on the other hand, was banned because he bet on the game, and that was clearly against MLB rules.

P.S.: Palmeiro was suspended for testing positive for steroids, but we don't know if he took them prior to 2005. (I think there was a report that Palmeiro was tested for steroids after the court appearance and came back negative. If that's true, let me know.)

Don't bother, the people here have already made up their minds.

I don't think they can ban ARod though, drugs or not, it's still record numbers. I would expect a 'black mark' on his record though. But I can't see him being outright banned like McGuire.

What about Pete Rose? Oh boo hoo he bet on baseball. Meanwhile the all time hits leader ain't even in the Hall of Fame. Sorry, I missed the part where this became Camelot and only the pure of heart got in.

Pete Rose definitely should be allowed in, compared to all this steroids mess, his gambling issues are nothing. He at least [as far as we know] got his record cleanly.

The Hall of Fame is a joke, if the all time leading hit leader is not there .

The Hall of Fame is a joke, if the all time leading hit leader is not there .

Yup. And yet Bud Selig using his 'moral power' to prevent the BWAA (writers) on voting on whether Pete Rose gets in the HOF or not. If i am not mistaken was not Mr Selig, the head of MLB during most of the steriods era from say 1995-2005? Another case of double standard.

No doubt Rose deserved a long term(not life)suspension say at least 5 years or more for gambling but what a joke Mark McGuire can get a post carrer MLB job and not Pete Rose? What a disgrace imo.:mad::tdown:

Yup. And yet Bud Selig using his 'moral power' to prevent the BWAA (writers) on voting on whether Pete Rose gets in the HOF or not. If i am not mistaken was not Mr Selig, the head of MLB during most of the steriods era from say 1995-2005? Another case of double standard.

No doubt Rose deserved a long term(not life)suspension say at least 5 years or more for gambling but what a joke Mark McGuire can get a post carrer MLB job and not Pete Rose? What a disgrace imo.:mad::tdown:

Well the HOF is not "baseball". Banned from baseball means if Pete Rose applies to be head clubhouse janitor for the Cincinnati Reds, they say, "no you're banned" but the HOF is about celebrating BASEBALL HISTORY not just MLB, and that's why there are many deserving Negro Leagues players in there as well because they are part of BASEBALL'S history. So too is Pete Rose. Anyone who attempts to make the HOF anything other than a reminder of baseball's past, for better or for worse, is full of shit (glares at sportswriters).

Archived