New Arena for MSG

BJC

Nope just renovations that are supposed to start later this year. The seating is supposed to be rearranged similarly to Yankee stadium where everyone is closer to the action. Also the mezzanine is supposed to be made wider with views outside to the street from all the mezzanines. Seating capacity is supposed to go to at least 20,000 for all events. On the inside it copies the styling of "The Rock" Prudential Center. Just the dimensions will be Old MSG. As long s it stays where it is I will especially be happy cause its 2 blocks from home. Any more questions check out Madisonsquaregarden.com.

Nope just renovations that are supposed to start later this year. The seating is supposed to be rearranged similarly to Yankee stadium where everyone is closer to the action. Also the mezzanine is supposed to be made wider with views outside to the street from all the mezzanines. Seating capacity is supposed to go to at least 20,000 for all events. On the inside it copies the styling of "The Rock" Prudential Center. Just the dimensions will be Old MSG. As long s it stays where it is I will especially be happy cause its 2 blocks from home. Any more questions check out Madisonsquaregarden.com.

Agreed. I know the Dolans and the other bosses at MSG for a while wanted to bulid a new MSG across the street at the current main post office before the plans to turn it into a new Amtrak/NJ Transit started.

The existing MSG was only renovated in the mid-1990's and still looks in excellent shape IMO. Way Better than say the 'dump' that is IZOD (or whatever that Nets Meadowlands arena is called now)center.

As long as no major taxpayer monies are used, a great idea by the Dolans and the other bosses that own the Knicks, Rangers and cablevision.

If only they never would have knocked that down but I understand why the Penn Central sold the air right above the station. However their decision was shortsighted because they still both went under. Alas, we shall never see a grandiose complex like the old Pennsylvania Station again! The project would be too expensive and massive to redo. Let's just hope we all learned a huge and valuable lesson by losing this great piece of American architecture and history.... Keep MSG where it is and make it a better arena for all. There is too much history invested in this current building to move it or destroy it. Just modernize it little by little the ones who don't see it will eventually see the magic that this building has...

If only they never would have knocked that down but I understand why the Penn Central sold the air right above the station. However their decision was shortsighted because they still both went under. Alas, we shall never see a grandiose complex like the old Pennsylvania Station again! The project would be too expensive and massive to redo. Let's just hope we all learned a huge and valuable lesson by losing this great piece of American architecture and history.... Keep MSG where it is and make it a better arena for all. There is too much history invested in this current building to move it or destroy it. Just modernize it little by little the ones who don't see it will eventually see the magic that this building has...

You said it jackson.

- A

I tend to see both sides of a case, both the "oh we can do that here" and the "not around where i live!"

I gotta say MSG + 2 liberty plaza is one of those things most people look back at and ask "what the hell were they thinking?!!?". Fact is, as lovely as NYP used to be, and as nice as it could be again with a major renovation, it would have been totally removed and become a basement for the buildings vs a train station if they had not sold the air rights. That being said, i really think its time for them to overhaul the entire station, build new platforms to replace the old ones, rebuild the stairs preserving as much of the historical stuff as possible, re-design the concourse areas to be "waiting for a train" friendly vs standing for 30 minutes. Put more information boards for amtk, lirr, and njt all over the place. How about a nod to the glass and iron of the old station vs unfriendly sterile stainless steel and glass in a mix with tile and other stuff? How about easier access to MSG? Currently you either have to go outside, or use one single staircase near 33rd st. How about making corridors less like a museum with no seating outside 2 small areas and more like a proper train station with seating all over the place, or simply in larger capacity? How about replacing the horrific exterior of MSG with something that doesn't resemble the 1960's?

- A

as great as that would sound to make it like a true station with seating you are just inviting the homeless back with a vengeance!!! I dont want my home station to become a bum infested rat trap it was in the 80s. Not to be stuck up but f the homeless right now I've grown up seeing too much of it and coops not doing much about it. Keep the place the way it is now: CLEAN! You are right though in your point but alas, only a dream...

Archived