Blue seats and black floors on SIR?

Ghostnyc123

The regular R44s on the A train needs an SMS more than ever. If not an SMS, then definitely replace only the windows or floors. Scratchitti is still very heavy on 8th Avenue.

They should start doing it, because the R179s are not going to appear any time soon. Might as well do some fixes.

Umm.. We're talking about SIR R44's (or R43's) with new flooring, not talking about no damn hippos, please stop bringing them up when no one in the thread is even talking about them. We get it you're a hippo foamer, but don't bring them up in each topic you post in. Not even I bring up Orion VII CNGs in an Orion V related thread and I love the CNGs. If I can stop myself from that then so can you.

Bless your heart for saying that!

Umm.. We're talking about SIR R44's (or R43's) with new flooring, not talking about no damn hippos, please stop bringing them up when no one in the thread is even talking about them. We get it you're a hippo foamer, but don't bring them up in each topic you post in. Not even I bring up Orion VII CNGs in an Orion V related thread and I love the CNGs. If I can stop myself from that then so can you.

Agreed man... totally agreed.

Gee, people are getting so off-topic nowadays.

A few things worthwhile to note-

The R44s on Staten Island are not R43s. They are generally known as R44s, although I have seen documentation(for the most part, nothing recent) calling them MUE-2s. This name is based off of the older AB based SIRT cars, called MUE-1. I believe MUE was the braking system on these cars. R43s are Diesel engines.

402 IIRC was the unit involved in the wreck at Tottenville. It is at CI for evaluation for possible repair.

Also- The Blue seats arent covering the old seats-- They ARE the old seats! They've been repainted!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have yet to catch a ride on one of the refurbished R44s but it's nice to see that they're almost halfway done.

Also OTOH, the SIR is under a FRA waiver and not actually subject to all the rules of FRA so I believe the MTA would be able to get away with running an R160 or R32 on the SIR without too much hassle.

I have yet to catch a ride on one of the refurbished R44s but it's nice to see that they're almost halfway done.

Also OTOH, the SIR is under a FRA waiver and not actually subject to all the rules of FRA so I believe the MTA would be able to get away with running an R160 or R32 on the SIR without too much hassle.

Interesting...let's see how that will work by the time R44s get the boot.

A few things worthwhile to note-

The R44s on Staten Island are not R43s. They are generally known as R44s, although I have seen documentation(for the most part, nothing recent) calling them MUE-2s. This name is based off of the older AB based SIRT cars, called MUE-1. I believe MUE was the braking system on these cars. R43s are Diesel engines.

402 IIRC was the unit involved in the wreck at Tottenville. It is at CI for evaluation for possible repair.

Also- The Blue seats arent covering the old seats-- They ARE the old seats! They've been repainted!

I'm afraid you're wrong about the last bit: the blue seats are covering the old ones.

i do hope those R44s can hold out till the 179s come out. Lord knows that foamers would drool if SIR had to borrow cars again like they did before the 44s arrived. 68s in SI? I dont think so.

Nah. hippos won't go there on any chance. They must be converted to comply with FRA restrictions and all that business. The R44s are alright.

Some of them yeah....

I mean, if you replace them all now, what would be the replacement? You have to modify adequate R160s or hippos. The R160s are still being delivered, so I don't think that's an option. And the hippos, you have to convert an adequate number of them, truck them one by one to Clifton. It's easier said than done.

Archived